2row Pale Malt 50lb Sack $20.80

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I lived in the 'States, I'm not sure I'd brew as much as I do here.

You can get great beer, pretty cheap there. So in that sense - I'd want the raw ingredients to reflect the finished product's price.

Fat Tire Amber at Costco FTW! IIRC, it was like USD$24 a case. We almost pay that for a sixpack here, but the liver transplant is free, if you can make them believe that the beer belly is just "gas".

If I lived in the 'States, I'm not sure I'd brew as much as I do here.

You can get great beer, pretty cheap there. So in that sense - I'd want the raw ingredients to reflect the finished product's price.

Fat Tire Amber at Costco FTW! IIRC, it was like USD$24 a case. We almost pay that for a sixpack here, but the liver transplant is free, if you can make them believe that the beer belly is just "gas".

You have hit the main point why I joined this forum vs an American. There is much more practical advice available here. American forums lean toward the elitist end of brewing. I like draught beer. I like fancy beer as well. I don't like going out and spending $4 -$8 for a beer. If I could make a high quality beer at home for around 50 cents per pint...I'd like that too.

Back on track, it's possible to pick up malt for around a dollar a kilo here if you happen across a maltster who is clearing out the end of an order. There's a mob on the Darling Downs who sometimes (irregularly) end up with a fair few tonnes left over after a China order and either sell it as feed to the local Elevator as F-K calls it, but first they shop around and see if they can interest the likes of Burleigh Brewing, Wood n Stone etc who will run up a truck and collect for the right price.

Elevator:

grain_elevator.jpg

I got a 40k bag last year. Very bland malt but a good mixer for APAs, Aussies etc.

Edit: I seem to remember there's a small Maltings near Geelong that a member on this or another forum got a similar deal.

I gather Joe whites won't do this even for small amounts?

Try and figure this. German malt that has traveled 4000km halfway around the world ...

I sometimes wish the world really was that small, I'd be going for weekend trips to enjoy Berlin and catch up with family and friends.

Latest posts

Back