25l Plastic Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markws

Reaction score
Lads,

Flicking throught the lastest catalogue from Kmart yesterday...25L willow water containers are available for $12.99 - supposedly 40% off the normal price.......if you are interested in the no chiller method it maybe worth a look...I am assuming they are food grade and the wall thickness is acceptable...I may go down and have a look on the way to work this morning..

cheers

MWS

Noticed that yesterday.
They have a picture of the 20 litre ones but do say the 25 litre ones.
I got my 20 litre ones from there last time at the same price.
Maybe they have printed the wrong photo.

Have to honour it now.

cheers
johnno

Perfect! Thanks for letting us know!

Cheers - Mike

BennyBrewster said:
Do they have a bung where I could put a tap ?
[post="118773"][/post]​

They do BB.
But you need to use a holesaw to drill out the bit of plastic in the way.

cheers
johnno

Reason i ask is because on my recent brew I had a fair bit of hot break on the bottom of my no chill cube. So i figure im going to take it out of the fridge and let it sit for a few hours up on the bench, then gently tap the wort out into the fermenter.

Come to think of it 20 litres might not be big enough given that the taps are usually a few inches from the bottom I will end up losing to much wort.

how are you guys doing this ?

BennyBrewster said:
Come to think of it 20 litres might not be big enough given that the taps are usually a few inches from the bottom I will end up losing to much wort.

how are you guys doing this ?
[post="118784"][/post]​

As with the fermentor, just tilt the cube when it's getting low

Normell

yeh I could do that, I guess im just concerned with keeping as much hot break in the cube as possible.

BennyBrewster said:
yeh I could do that, I guess im just concerned with keeping as much hot break in the cube as possible.
[post="118796"][/post]​

It should only be cold break - all the hot break should settle out in the boiler.

So no need to worry about it too much.

David

I reckon an auto-syphon is the way. Cost me $18 and you end up wasting less wort or beer and getting clearer beer in the end than using the taps. No worry about infections from the tap as well. I also use it to syphon from the kettle. :super:

bigfridge said:
BennyBrewster said:
[post="118796"][/post]​

It should only be cold break - all the hot break should settle out in the boiler.

So no need to worry about it too much.

David
[post="118807"][/post]​

See thats the thing, Im not cooling in the kettle so all the really settles out in there are the hops. Everything else settles over night in the fridge so i need to keep it in the cube if possible.

Gonna give the tap a go, otherwise i will syphon. :D

Hi BB,

The hot break forms during the boil, if you are whirlpooling or syphoning you will leave this behind (with the hops). The cold break consists of proteins formed as the wort cools - this will be what you are left with in your cube.

Hope this helps clarify

Shonky

shonky said:
Hi BB,

The hot break forms during the boil, if you are whirlpooling or syphoning you will leave this behind (with the hops). The cold break consists of proteins formed as the wort cools - this will be what you are left with in your cube.

Hope this helps clarify

Shonky
[post="118849"][/post]​

cheers gotcha

Busboy,

the auto-syphon was from Gerard at ND Brewing Supplies. He got it no problem, at least once I'd explained what it was. :p

(Sorry Gerard, couldn't help myself)

Gents,

Just picked up two of these - there are 20l ones and 25l ones - I got the 20l ones as I'm normally brewing 22l - so I can store after the secondry and age for a while before I keg em. The 20l ones are like a jerry can -the 25l units are the bigger, square shaped ones.

Bloody bargain at $12 each! Didn't look like a whole lot of stock left - FYI.

Cheers - Mike

I also picked up one of these at Nth Rocks. Be careful, they try to charge $22.99 for the 25ltr cubes. So I just showed them the catalogue that I picked up on the way in and they reduced the price. However the labeling on the shelves has the 20ltr Jerry's on sale not the cubes. But they honoured the special on the 25ltr. Just be aware of this if buying for yourself

Cheers

HK

glad to see the AHB system hard at work....

MWS

bought the same thing from big w ages ago to do bulk priming... got it for under $20... couldn't really complain

I get 20 lt ones from the back of our pub
Used for oil in the snack bar...free...
Check your one out...or local fish shop..etc..
Cheers
PJ

Latest posts

Back