• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

25L Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool if they have a bung then happy days .. So how do I get one .. Are they located at thirsty camel Seddon ?

Sorted got one cheers .. Haven't got anything big enough to remove the bung tho ...

Nope first thing i I tried it looks like it needs a fat rectangular key type thing

1400576662954.jpg

mrsupraboy said:
Do u guys cube only before fermentation and not after
Generally speaking most brewers bottle or keg beer after fermentation. Sometimes it might be aged, but it's more common to hear of people doing this in glass carboys. The general idea behind curbing wort is that a) you don't need to chill it (saves water, less equipment) and b ) you can store it and ferment at your convenience (esp handy for double batches etc.)
Any reason you think you'd need to cube after fermentation?

Edit: b ) = b)

Just trying to get my head around it that's all. Would u throw the wort in there boiling hot or let it cool down a bit

mrsupraboy said:
Just trying to get my head around it that's all. Would u throw the wort in there boiling hot or let it cool down a bit
As I understand (though a no-chiller might like to confirm or correct), you transfer to the cube after whirlpooling. So, you turn off the flame/element, whirlpool, allow wort to settle and then transfer to the cube. It needs to be hot enough to pasteurize the inside of the cube. I think >80C, but again, a no chiller might be able to confirm.

That’s pretty much spot on, I try to get my wort into the cube before it drops below 90C, this gives it plenty of time to effectively sterilise the cube (by pasteurisation which occurs above 80C and takes at least 15 minutes)

I've had one sitting around for 6 weeks before pitching and had no problems with it, mostly I pitch within a couple of days.

If the cube starts to expand you may have an infection though, so best to be careful. There is heaps of info on cubing around this site, run your eye over it before you start and you won't have any problems (probably)

mrsupraboy said:
Ok thanks guys and what's max storage for them
Although there is no absolute answer to that question I've gone 6ish months before fermenting some beers and they still tasted great and had no fermentation issues. I think the longest was 12 or 13 months in total.

I'm going to grab a couple. But I'm not convinced I'll be able to get rid of the Port/Sherry smell? Will a sodium percarb soak be adequate?

Soak it in Porter or Stout for your first brew, port or sherry notes would be deilghtful in those ;)

Best before on commercial cubes is 24 months I think.

I've used cubes after 18 months and I swear the beer was better and smoother than the same beer from the same batch but brewed earlier

Latest posts

Back