• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

25L Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmud

Reaction score
I don't no chill (because I can't work out how to get my wort in a cube when my kettle is on a 12' stand, but that's another story), but I was just in a local bottleo and noticed that they sell 25L cubes for $5 a pop. I gather they have originally held port & sherry as they sell flagon refills there. Bloke reckons he has around 100, and they might be cheaper in bulk. I'm considering grabbing a couple for when I work out how to defy gravity, but I thought if mention it here to see of there's any interest & Id be happy to coordinate something if there is.

I know most people use 20L cubes, but I assume 25L just requires a scaled up recipe or a smaller boil.

Edit: I'm in Melbourne's inner west

Just remember if you kegging in to normal sized kegs you only need 19L. - losses ect. 25L may end up being a waste of perfectly good beer.

If your bottling or a combination of both happy days more bottles for not much more effort.

PS. the 20L cubes hold a little more than 20L. The 25L port container I have is the same.

elcarter said:
Just remember if you kegging in to normal sized kegs you only need 19L. - losses ect. 25L may end up being a waste of perfectly good beer.

If your bottling or a combination of both happy days more bottles for not much more effort.

PS. the 20L cubes hold a little more than 20L. The 25L port container I have is the same.
You could just bottle the left over beer though...

I use two 25 litre cubes for a double batch. Keg and just bottle the rest. It's always good having some bottles handy.

I'd be keen on a few, I'm in Dandenong but could possibly pick a few up from you if anyone else out this way is interested.

For a little while I had a 'leftovers' keg that I put the remaining few L's into from 25L batches after kegging the main quantity.

Wasn't too bad for a while, but after adding in some weizen to a mix of an IPA, porter and mild, it just didn't sit right.

I've got a little 9L keg which I will use for leftovers..

Prince Imperial said:
I don't no chill (because I can't work out how to get my wort in a cube when my kettle is on a 12' stand, but that's another story), but I was just in a local bottleo and noticed that they sell 25L cubes for $5 a pop. I gather they have originally held port & sherry as they sell flagon refills there. Bloke reckons he has around 100, and they might be cheaper in bulk. I'm considering grabbing a couple for when I work out how to defy gravity, but I thought if mention it here to see of there's any interest & Id be happy to coordinate something if there is.

I know most people use 20L cubes, but I assume 25L just requires a scaled up recipe or a smaller boil.

Edit: I'm in Melbourne's inner west
To start the siphon effect into the cube for transferring, I am sure your wort height (read: fluid head) is well more than 12 inches (I assume you meant 12" inches not 12' feet, as if feet you should have no troubles transferring) and therefore if you open with the silicone hose in the cube you will get flow, I've found that even though my pickup tube inlet is lower than my ball valve outlet height I still get the wort out right down below the pickup tube. So give it a go you should find it will get a siphon effect and at the very least you will be left with a bit of wort above the height of your cube, so it won't be an epic failure you might lose a couple of Litres if it doesn't siphon the lot out.

Cheers DJ - to clarify, you mean run a hose from my ball valve to the tap of my cube, and that will create a siphon action?

When siphoning - you cannot siphon upwards. The level where you're siphoning from is as high as the discharge can transfer.

Prince Imperial said:
Cheers DJ - to clarify, you mean run a hose from my ball valve to the tap of my cube, and that will create a siphon action?
That would be fine, although I just put my hose through the lid hole and sit it on the lowest point of the cube. Just ensure you minimise oxygenation/splashing obviously.

TheWiggman said:
When siphoning - you cannot siphon upwards. The level where you're siphoning from is as high as the discharge can transfer.
I wasn't referring to siphoning upwards. The top of the wort liquid surface is well above the bottom of the cube, so this will drive the transfer. I think Prince Imperial is referring to the outlet tap/pickup tube is "around" the same height as the top of the cube lid. My point is that there is plenty of hydraulic head to drive most of the transfer via gravity into the cube, with a pickup tube it may even draw most of it out as the top of a cube lid would be in the vicinity of 12 inches from the ground.

Yeah, that's what I'd have thought, but also thought the weighting the wort may push it into the cube.
On second reading, DJ, it sounds like you're using an EZ siphon or similar, is that correct? No issues with the heat?

Na no siphon, what I was getting at is the siphon "action" once flow starts that even though the ball valve is higher than the fluid level down to the pickup tube I still get transfer. Just thinking you could get a similar effect if your keggle outlet and cube lid height are at a similar level.

As long as the level of 'outgoing' is higher than 'ingoing' then the siphon will continue to work.

OneEye said:
As long as the level of 'outgoing' is higher than 'ingoing' then the siphon will continue to work.
True, in fact it will continue to work until both levels are the same.
A good trick to know is that when syphoning, keep the hose 'outlet' submersed in the liquid you're draining into. This will ensure that the syphon won't break early if some air gets back through it. Particularly important if using a pickup tube in the kettle as DJ_L3ThAL is discussing.

Nice Doge reference there too. Wow.

When I had my burner stand on the ground the cube top was higher than the tap. I would just sit the cube close enough to the burner that the hose could run up over the lip and into the cube, then I would lift my keggle for the last few litres. Not an ideal setup but it worked, you dont have to hold your kettle elevated for long and you can rest the connection between tap and keggle on the lip of the cube...

Other basic solutions could be to pop your burner stand on a slightly elevated platform pre-boil, like a couple of old paving bricks, a benchtop, anything that is nice and stable. Obviously if you are relying on gravity feed from other vessels it all needs to go up!

+1 re the size of the cube being larger than expected. I have a 20L cube that I have to squeeze quite a bit of air out of when filled with wort, then in the fermenter it still usually shows as 23L. Too lazy to bottle leftovers nowadays. I sometimes go for a "dreg keg".

Thanks for the no-chill tips guys, I'll have a play using water and see what I can achieve!

People interested in cubes, I don't think we want enough to warrant a discount, so, provided it doesn't break any bulk-buy rules etc. I'll DM you & confirm the number you want. I'll buy these and you can pick them up from me. This will be in a couple of weeks. For locals who'd rather just grab their own, pop down to Thirsty Camel in Seddon.

Cheers

Hi these 25l cubes .. Could they be used as a secondary fermenter ? Do they have taps ? Would be interested am also in seddon

droodle said:
Hi these 25l cubes .. Could they be used as a secondary fermenter ? Do they have taps ? Would be interested am also in seddon
Hi mate, I'm sure you could ferment in them, no dramas. I think a few brewers here ferment in cubes (Manticle, maybe). Not sure if they come with taps, but I'm fairly certain they have a standard bung, so you could grab a tap from masters for about $2.

Latest posts

Back