25 Litre Jerry Cans?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"KMart has Willow 20L jerries for $12.94 (until April 2)"

this is a quote from me from another thread. Haven't made it to K-Mart myself to check them out, so can't guarantee they are hdpe or triangle 2, they are white- not blue - only quoting from the junk mail brochure.

Could become popular among home brew circles. Didn't say anything about no rainchecks :D

I was at the back of a restaurant this morning(walking past) and I noticed a cube put out for rubbish. I thought it may be cleaning products. On closer inspection It was a caterer's size vinegar pack. I didnt see any markings indicating food quality plastic so Im not sure if i would use it. I took it antway just in case.

cheers

wee stu, thanks for that . thats a good price for those willow ones. going to get at least a couple this week.

cheers

Ray's Outdoors has 25 litre cubes with tap for $10.00 until 5th April. Product code 12762.

www.raysoutdoors.com.au

Stores in Victoria and SA as far as I know.

C&B
TDA

Don't think Ray's one's are marked hdpe or triangle 2 - how much does this matter?

This type of thing is either made from HDPE (code 2) or PVC (not sure on the code). With PVC it can "strip" flavours and / or taint . It's also no way near as chemically stable. When it burns it give off hydrochloric acid fumes.
I'd steer clear unless it has the No 2 recycling grade.

wee stu said:
Don't think Ray's one's are marked hdpe or triangle 2 - how much does this matter?
Check with Ray's - I'm thinking back to a similar offer a couple of months back - this might be a different batch.

wee stu said:
wee stu said:
Check with Ray's - I'm thinking back to a similar offer a couple of months back - this might be a different batch.
Is it just me or have you replied to your own question ? :blink:

Not you jes - having one of those nights - must remember I can edit posts.

If the first sign of madness is talking to yourself, the second might be answering? :blink:

I just checked these out at kmart and the 20 litre ones didnt have the 2 in a triangle. The 25 litre ones did though. Just wandering if anyone is using the 20 litre ones if they have the marking or not. I dont really want to get them if they will give off any bad taste.

cheers

I got a couple of these last week and want to use one soon. Problem is where the tap goes there is a plastic seal there.
How do you go about removing this? If you have to drill it what size bit do you use.
I dont have any power tools and have never used any so I'm not looking forward to using any.

cheers

I use a drill and a holesaw that fits inside the thread

You must know someone who has this and will help you out Johnno

I know i'm gonna look stoopid Batz but whats a holesaw?
And no I dont reckon anyone i know has any of this equipment.

Can any Melb Brewers who have worked on these help me out at all??

Johnno, btw a few weeks back (not sure if they've still got them) Bunnings had a heap of crappy Korean made cordless drills for under $20 (that's cheap). They won't be any good for heavy duty stuff but it'll make short work of you plastic Jerry.

And every bloke needs a drill. Go and get one mate.

Fits in a drill same as a normal drill bit , only it is a like a circular hacksaw , there quite cheap , you only need a nasty old K-Mart one for plastic

If you want to drop them over I'll do then for ya
:lol: :lol:

Sorry that's not funny

Batz - do they seal OK without a thread?

Johhno I'm in Melbourne & should be able to help you (meaning I have a drill & a hole saw :huh: ) - send me a pm if you still need a hand.

Separate question: I just bought a 20 litre jerry from Bunnings for ccing but when I pulled the bung & put in a tap it leaked. When I replaced the bung it leaked. I ( tried Teflon tape but it still leaked) :angry: The thread is not very deep and obviously doesn't do much good. Any ideas or do I just take it back?

drill inside the thread

leave the thread intact

Gotcha. Didn't realise there was a thread already there - doh :blink:

Latest posts

Back