25 Litre Jerry Cans?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Hi all,
DOes anyone know where in Melb you can get the 25 litre jerry cans. I can find 25 litre cubes but not jerries. I have looked in all the usual places. Any help appreciated.

cheers

Big W and K Mart usually sell plastic jerries for water. These should be fine.

Murray,
The ones they have there are only 20 litres. Then they have the 25 litre cube. I want the jerries as they are flatter. I cant seem to find them in 25 litre size.

cheers

Okay. I got my 25L jerrys from a HBS in Brisbane, I would assume most would stock them.

I use the 20lt ones Johnno , I think you will find everyone here does , I have plenty of room after racking , you don't want too much head space anyway

Just done a search of the internet for places in Oz selling plastic jerry containers.
Couldn't find any selling 25 litre ones. They mostly sell 20 litre ones. At 25 litres they sell cubes.

Beers,
Doc

Kmart have a 22 litre one. That is dark green and sold as a water storage container. I may have to go with that but I didnt like it as you cant see whats going on.

cheers

The one I have is a 25L from Big W. Maybe they were out of stock when you had a look.

Johnno,

Go for the 22L jobbie as long as it's food grade...

If you have leftover wort after racking the jerrie to the gills, whack it in some bottles or stubbies to use as a comparison between racked and unracked brews - you might want to know what the differences between the same brew (before and after racking / or non-keg priming) can be.

Cheers,
TL

TL,
I was assuming they were food grade as they are supposed to be used for water. How can you tell if they are or not.

cheers

Ok

Just had a look at mine , they are the blue willow ones

If you look below the handle you will see the 20lt mark , just tried it 24lt fits in easy , with little head space

Food grade will have the mark on it

a 2 inside a triangle

Well if the blue Willow 20 lt ones fit 24 litres I'll just grab a couple of those.
Thanks Batz.

yep agree the 20L ones hold at least 24L.

johnno said:
I was assuming they were food grade as they are supposed to be used for water. How can you tell if they are or not.
afaik, ianal, ymmv, etc etc
to be food grade they must be high density poly ethylene and will be marked (usually on the base) with HDPE and/or a 2 inside a triangle.

EDIT: D'oh, Batz already answered this. That's what I get for leaving the browser open for a couple hours...

just got one from bunnings today for $16.50.
Food grade and all.
20L but.

I was of the belief that the triangle represents that its made partly from recycled material and the number inside it represents the number of times its been recycled...hence second life(first as a PET bottle then the jerry can) gen 7 is maccas tray.

Does the triangle have three arrows????

I got one from Bunnings the other day for $17.

Linz said:
I was of the belief that the triangle represents that its made partly from recycled material and the number inside it represents the number of times its been recycled...hence second life(first as a PET bottle then the jerry can) gen 7 is maccas tray.
Sorry Linz, you go this all wrong. The number represents the plastic type, in this case HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) is number 2, the three triangle signify the number represents the recycling code. Its what the recycling depots used to sort different types of plastics.
You should find milk "bottles" , the whitish 2 L ones have the same recycling code.
BTW most HDPE that is recycled is used to made the Wheelie bins.

Matt

Fella's, Bunning's in the City sell 25L jerry's for $19.95. :) I'm going to pick one up tommorrow. ;)

Latest posts

Back