2019 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I’m about to move house and want to take my hops with me. Has anyone successfully relocated hops at this stage of the season before?

Hi all,

I’m about to move house and want to take my hops with me. Has anyone successfully relocated hops at this stage of the season before?

G'day SilasM,
Trim vine from rhizomes, using a spade slice of a section of around 5cm X 8cm rhizome roots and all & place in zip lock bags with a little saw dust, place in veggie bin in fridge until you are ready to plant. Do this as many times as you you need plants.

I just did, but mine were in pots. I cut the strings and coiled into the pots.

Have yet to hang them back up at the new place.

Thanks for the reply’s guys.
As I was only moving 10km’s down the road I ended up trying to transplant the whole plant but lost a fair bit of the root structure in the process. They’re in the ground but not looking happy, will report back how they go.
Cheers

Im a first time hop grower and have a problem some experienced growers may be able to help with. Im growing in 100l tubs as i rent. Pic from a while back.
I allowed all the bines to shoot and trained them up as they grew. Once they reached the top of the trellis i trained the horizontally, and i now have a bush of intertwined varieties!
I see three options. 1 pick the flowers as the are ready and hope for the best, 2 cut them down, untangle and sort by variety, 3 pick and try to sort the flowers!
I welcome any suggestions!

TIA

Joe
20200110_180553.jpeg

Im a first time hop grower and have a problem some experienced growers may be able to help with. Im growing in 100l tubs as i rent. Pic from a while back.
I allowed all the bines to shoot and trained them up as they grew. Once they reached the top of the trellis i trained the horizontally, and i now have a bush of intertwined varieties!
I see three options. 1 pick the flowers as the are ready and hope for the best, 2 cut them down, untangle and sort by variety, 3 pick and try to sort the flowers!
I welcome any suggestions!

TIA

JoeView attachment 117409
Good question. Re- what variety are they? They will be nearly impossible to trace the bines to seperate them. You could just combine them and call them the Home Blend whatever.
I have let Tettnang mix with Hallertau and I'm ok with that both being similar (Noble Hops).

From left to right, well in the pots, Chinook, EKG, POR, and Saaz.
I was thinking the same thing about just using a blend, im not really one for following recipies anyway. Im not expecting a big yeild, so will chalk it up to experience and train them better next year.
Its amazing how hard and fast they grow! Totally didnt expect it

From left to right, well in the pots, Chinook, EKG, POR, and Saaz.
I was thinking the same thing about just using a blend, im not really one for following recipies anyway. Im not expecting a big yeild, so will chalk it up to experience and train them better next year.
Its amazing how hard and fast they grow! Totally didnt expect it

Latest posts

Back