2019 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea what's plaguing mine?

20191211_123150.jpg

20191211_123156.jpg

Looks like caterpillar damage, they are small and when they stop feeding bring a leaf around them, so if you see a bent leaf thats where you will find it. If its still feeding it will be on the underside of the leaf.
Don't worry too much about the burnt looking edges.

@wide eyed and legless

No catapillers that I can see. I checked all the rolled over edge leaves too which seemed empty.

Found something that looks like a small bug, scampered away on me but I got a photo. Slightly larger than a mosquito in size and black, at first that's what I thought it was. Didn't appear to be a caterpillar or wiggle. Sorry I didn't get a great look or shot before I bumped the leaf.

20191211_144919.jpg

Found some webs under a couple of the leaves of the worst plant and a web under another leave of a different plant as well. I couldn't find any spider or insect responsible for the web. Photo non-interesting as camera wouldn't focus on the web.

The burnt edges are a separate issue?

I'm having the same problem. I have 5 varieties planted and on the climb. The Hollertau and Williamette have the problem. From my reading, I believe they are burnt from the hot winds we have been getting. Definitely no critters involved, at least in my case. It would appear that some varieties are more susceptible than others. Even in the Illawarra, we are further North than the recommended latitude so it's all a bit iffy I think.
Cheers

@Wobbly1 We do get alot of wind here and these plants are largely unshielded as we are on the side of a hill. The sadest looking leaves are dry and crunchy (I checked, soil is moist at finger tip at first nuckle depth). If it's hot winds is there a corresponding treatment? It's only going to get worse in summer.

Found some spiders inhabiting the saddest looking hops plant. Harmless?

20191211_151347.jpg
20191211_151029.jpg

Confirmed alive.

Sorry mate, don't know about the critters but they don't look too good, maybe more than just wind-burn. Maybe a call to the Dept. of Agriculture, I've found them quite helpful. Have you been keeping the water up to them? They're thirsty little buggers. Also I feed mine liquid Dynamic Lifter once a week. I reckon, think, guess that if the bines are kept healthy they are better equipped to survive.

Spiders are good, in your first photo you have a leaf which is just about eaten away and another with a large hole. When you see damage like that it is either slug or caterpillar, my money is on the caterpillar.
The burnt looking leaves aren't a problem most plants the earlier leaves go like that and die off. The caterpillars are about 10mm x 1.5mm and green.
Sorry mate, don't know about the critters but they don't look too good, maybe more than just wind-burn. Maybe a call to the Dept. of Agriculture, I've found them quite helpful. Have you been keeping the water up to them? They're thirsty little buggers. Also I feed mine liquid Dynamic Lifter once a week. I reckon, think, guess that if the bines are kept healthy they are better equipped to survive.
Far too much Dynamic lifter, once a month is more than enough, to much nitrogen is no good.

@Wobbly1 whats your watering schedule?

Mine have been getting ~4L per water twice weekly. A third watering if it's been a hot week. One less if it's rained significantly.

@wide eyed and legless Thanks again. I really can't find any. I'm going to have a third search shortly.

Do you have any recommendations for a pesticide? Since these are first year plants and clearly no harvest is going to be possible I'm not concerned about human consumption. Just want the plants to survive and establish themselves at this point.

@wide eyed and legless Thanks again. I really can't find any. I'm going to have a third search shortly.

Do you have any recommendations for a pesticide? Since these are first year plants and clearly no harvest is going to be possible I'm not concerned about human consumption. Just want the plants to survive and establish themselves at this point.
If ti is what I think it is, fore finger and thumb or try some caterpillar dust, remember insecticides don' discriminate what they kill.
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/712717/hops-guide-for-new-growers.pdf

@wide eyed and legless

I've got some Caterpillar & slug pellets around so I'm going to throw them around near the pots for future protection in case any new caterpillars decide to visit.

I'll go around playing god later tonight and then I'm thinking I'll apply some https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-40g-natures-way-caterpillar-killer-dipel-insecticide_p2961898 to the leaves according to the instructions.

I don't really like insecticides (grew up near orchards) but in this case I'd rather be safe than sorry. Need these to survive the year for the next.

Do hops plants re-grow the following year if they suffer catastrophic damage to the leaves / vine resulting in vine death?

@wide eyed and legless

I've got some Caterpillar & slug pellets around so I'm going to throw them around near the pots for future protection in case any new caterpillars decide to visit.

I'll go around playing god later tonight and then I'm thinking I'll apply some https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-40g-natures-way-caterpillar-killer-dipel-insecticide_p2961898 to the leaves according to the instructions.

I don't really like insecticides (grew up near orchards) but in this case I'd rather be safe than sorry. Need these to survive the year for the next.

Do hops plants re-grow the following year if they suffer catastrophic damage to the leaves / vine resulting in vine death?
I doubt that you will get any failure, they are pretty hardy plants, a healthy plant looks after itself, main thing is keep the water up to them and the occasional Seasol on the plant when the sun isn't out and water the ground around the plant not the plant itself.

they will regrow but i reckon the spiecies makes a big diff, my cascade has been killing it for the last 3 years where the fuggles has struggled every year, reckon iam gonna pull the pin on the fuggles.

Certainly has happened to a few rhizomes I've seen (including a few of mine).
Paint them white, I use old 200ltr oil drums (they're free) topped, tailed, and cut in half, natural black they get hot, and dry out a couple of inches on their North/West side, painted white (any old ceiling white, off white wall paint, whatever) makes a huge difference, doesn't look pretty but works.

Paint them white, I use old 200ltr oil drums (they're free) topped, tailed, and cut in half, natural black they get hot, and dry out a couple of inches on their North/West side, painted white (any old ceiling white, off white wall paint, whatever) makes a huge difference, doesn't look pretty but works.
Reasonable suggestion, although I don't think the primary tenant at my house would consent (seeing as they faced the road).

We've since moved and I've thrown my last couple of rhizomes in a raised garden bed. Hoping they'll be much happier, but with the drought conditions they're unlikely to prosper for a while.

Latest posts

Back