2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cascade plant taken a week ago, it's probably gone more mental since. This growth occurred in about 3 weeks since the first shoots appeared. There were already laterals on one of the bines.
IMG_20171007_082206.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is what a "bull shoot" looks like. Seems hollow to me...
IMG_20171007_151758.jpg

i suspect with 1st year rhizomes i dont be wanting to cut back the bolters? its all about crown development in the first season from what i see?

I’ve always just let First years do what they want. Second year they go mental. Most important thing for first years is what happens underground.

Fwiw the pic I took is a couple shoots from a second year plant that had grown to about 600mm tall. There was about 200mm between nodes which was triggered me to cut the plant back. Dunno if I made the right call, but the rapid growth seemed too good to be true [emoji53]

how have you screwed the timber ends to the iron in your planters rocker??

just long enough to not come through the timber on the outside?

Pretty much yeah. They poke out maybe a millimetre if that. Screwed in from the inside of the wall.

and they're off! Cutting out heaps of under growth shoots just to let 4+ main climbers go to make shade canopy for my back yard.
First to take off is Tettnang. 2nd season in the ground. First off last year too but was ravished repeatedly by possums so much It failed to produce more than one hop flower.
This year I persuaded it away from the structure so those dumb arse tree rodents cant get to them. Fingers crossed I get an expected yield stringed up to, the tree...
Hops October 20176.JPG
Hops October 20177.JPG

Second off is Hallertau. 2nd year in a 70lt pot. Again so many dozens of shoots I'm cutting just to favour ~4 climbers for shade canopy growth is the theory.
Hops October 20172.JPG
Hops October 20173.JPG
Hops October 20172.JPG

Hops going nuts here. Victoria is about 8 foot high, closely followed by Mt Hood, Cascade and the wild Otway Goldings. Chinook has just emerged from the ground, but is bent for global domination and will no doubt hit the top of the ropes first.

Latest posts

Back