2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished my trellising over the weekend. So far the best yield I’ve gotten has been using hooks to attach the lines to the gutters, so I decided to revisit that method. That, and I gave the whole vertical trellis to the Victoria crown, since it went apeshit as a first year, I’m guessing it’ll go elephantshit this year. So Victoria, Willamette - also going apeshit - a first year POR, and the little crown from the volunteer Mt. Hood that sprung up after my last hop split. Good thing too. I was kicking myself about getting rid of my Mt. Hood. Great hop :)

View attachment 108663
View attachment 108664
View attachment 108665
View attachment 108666
just need to attach your xmas lights as well and your all set for the festive season.

btw those victorians are looking very good so far.

Last edited:
just done some preliminary trellis work on the fuggles, got to say bloody painful while a couple of plovers that laid eggs on the roof are taunting the hell out of you and your missus specifically forbids "moving them on".

the cascades are just popping their heads out so have a little while to get them sorted.

Last edited:
After leaving my now 1 year old cascade in a pot alone for the dormant part of the season, 3 weeks ago I noticed it had a healthy amount of new season growth.

I got around to taking another, proper look on October 1 and ended up cutting back up to 1 foot off from 3 or 4 bines.

I also noticed that the nodes that these growth/shoots are coming from are above the ground, so I reckon a good part of the crown is exposed. In any case it all looks very healthy, so I don't think I'll worry about covering with mulch or more dirt.

What string/rope are you guys using for your trellis?

My first year cascade has has popped out of the ground and I figure I should start getting it ready haha

My first year cascade has has popped out of the ground and I figure I should start getting it ready haha
iam using brickies line,.

Zomes going for 3rd year now. Want to select 3 bines and trim the rest. Currently triming out fresh bines every 3 days, shit is going crazy. When is right time to let them grow out. I think i remember reading november some time?

My Victoria's had a bit of a rough start in life but have both fired up, though one seems to be less healthy looking with a little lighting of the leaves. Any ideas?

20171004_070821_zpsll8zhttl.jpg

20171004_070758_zpsy1rexjkc.jpg

Mad variation here .. Dr Rudi is healthy and has climbed 4 metres to the top of the trellis already!! Tettnang not far behind.

EKG has come up about 20 cm and has gone all yellow and looks like it's about to die.

I'm trying baling twine, but I've doubled it over so there's two lines for each mound (just in case). Was $10 for 500m or something like that at Bunnings.

I'm trying baling twine, but I've doubled it over so there's two lines for each mound (just in case). Was $10 for 500m or something like that at Bunnings.
why are you doubling it up? i assume to give more area for the bind to hold on to?

the breaking strain of bailing twine is in the hundreds of kilo range, even 8 gauge brickies line is in the 40 to 60 kg range and both are relatively UV stable.

why are you doubling it up? i assume to give more area for the bind to hold on to?

the breaking strain of bailing twine is in the hundreds of kilo range, even 8 gauge brickies line is in the 40 to 60 kg range and both are relatively UV stable.

I built a straw bale house a few summers ago, and found that it wasn't all that hard to break baling twine when doing truckers' hitches. It just stuck with me and I would rather have a back up then be caught short.

I've set them up on pullies, so if I need to lower them and re-raise them I can (i.e. for periodic harvesting, or cutting out the tops). I imagine there might be a bit of strain on the twine in that operation.

Plus I'm a structural engineer, so redundancy.

I use doubled up baling twine too. It's handy to tuck the tips in between the two strands to train them in the right direction. Also 5 months in the sun weakens the twine so doubling up is a good idea.

Baling twine is usually polypropylene which has poor UV stability. After a few months exposure out in the vineyard you can pull it off the trellis with one hand and I definitely don't have a draw strength of hundreds of kilos.

Latest posts

Back