2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday Edd
Purchased rhizomes from AJ80 (forum member) who gets wildings from Victorian bush. Good guy to deal with.

Hard to confirm origin, many claim the Victorian wildings are Canterbury escapees from early heritage plantings.

If someone was able to Dna test samples from here Vs the UK, I suppose it could be checked out.

cheers
Michael

Cheers for the plug and hope your wildlings are still going strong. I didn't get enough flowers from them last year to brew with, but they're certainly an interesting hop. Threw a lot of lemon to my palate.

Here's an article with a bit more background on the wild hops growing in the otways for those interested. http://baysidebrewers.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/in-search-of-wild-hops.html?m=1

Thanks AJ

Hops are going well. Some green caterpillars took a liking to them, but I sorted that out with some tomato dust.

Will be interesting to see how they progress in the humid climate - fingers crossed. Have 6 varieties in, so it will be a good comparo.

cheers again.

Cheers mate. I'm sure they'll go great guns.

My wildlings are yet to make an appearance. I've got some cuttings from last year in a pot though that are just poking through. Victoria is still going nuts, fuggles, cascade and goldings are all starting to emerge. No sign of Mt Hood yet which differs from last year when they were the first ones up. Chinook still fast asleep as expected.

21769024_10155179437017669_933721949_o.jpg
Pretty sure its the Chinook is the first one to sprout (my labels came off) so it might be the Victoria

Got it from Dr Sumurto :)

Have 8 hops planted and just put some sugar cane mulch onto them

Chinnok
Victoria
Cascade
Cluster
Super Alpha
POR
Tettnang
Williamette

Attachments

• 21769383_10155179436992669_2121143396_o.jpg
    21769383_10155179436992669_2121143396_o.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 21767212_10155179438077669_1748190123_o.jpg
    21767212_10155179438077669_1748190123_o.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 120
Try planting off the trelis ; so air & sun etc is all round the spritlings : you'll need a few STOUT poles say 1 every 3ft with heavy duty wire at every 1 1/2 feet high right to the top of the pole height , to train the hop bine , something similar to the old fashioned hop garden method of growing , it may be worth a go !!

I was more concerned about my main support rope, which is strung from a large tree to my house roof. From this, I have a series of individual pulleys and lines down to each mound. I'm not too worried about the smaller lines moving, but the main rope and tree movement is concerning me as the large rope is drooping over time because the tree moves and stay moved. I got up with a ladder and re-tied it so I now have the ability to retension it at both ends.

How do Michael, hmm , t'would be an interesting research avenue !!

Just following up on this. I made inquiries, - there's an Aussie lab that has permit to import plant DNA, and can do the comparison at their lab.

Costs are prohibitively high - 2 grand AUS. . . . (having said that, they can run up to 48 samples for that price). Would indeed be interesting, but unfortunately at those prices .. not for me. A researcher with funding support or commercial grower who wants to nail down variety identification - would possibly be worth it (cheaper than doing the import).

Sorry to go off topic.

Last edited:
Planted 2 each of cascade, chinook, victoria and por 8 days ago in a new aquaponics setup. Already have shoots!

i can see why you want to screen out the neighbors house.
Haha! Yeah it's not the prettiest. I don't live here anymore though, these plants are at the olds, too much of a pain in the arse to move them around rental properties.

odly enough spoke to my neighbour tonight as i noticed he was building some new gates and i offered him some pickets i had been storing for a while, he gladly accepted them then asked how my brewing was going, turns out he was keen to suggest I grow some hops along the boundary with his house as they have a young child whos room faces the evening sun which gets very hot in the summer, i replied i actually have some already. thought that was a bit of a fluke.

incidentally many years ago when another family lived there i had another plant growing in that location and was asked if i could take it down as it was visible from the same room and he was concerned his teenage daughter may have known the cultivar of said plant.

Finished my trellising over the weekend. So far the best yield I’ve gotten has been using hooks to attach the lines to the gutters, so I decided to revisit that method. That, and I gave the whole vertical trellis to the Victoria crown, since it went apeshit as a first year, I’m guessing it’ll go elephantshit this year. So Victoria, Willamette - also going apeshit - a first year POR, and the little crown from the volunteer Mt. Hood that sprung up after my last hop split. Good thing too. I was kicking myself about getting rid of my Mt. Hood. Great hop :)

IMG_9366.jpg

IMG_9367.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

IMG_9368.jpg

Back