2014 Vic Xmas in July case swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, big thanks to Yob (and his lady) for the venue.

Yob, Idzy, whiteferret and RelaxedBrewer for the system and a ******* EPIC BREW!!! 17 cubes!!! No problems! Brilliant idea running three mash tuns, one each at one of the step temps Yob. Rapid and efficient.

breakbeer and nullnvoid for the spits. New_guy, great job on organizing the food bro, pleasure working with you. MartinOC and Mick for the grub

Grainer thanks for hoving in with the cubing and the swapping.

And everyone, thanks for the hilarity. Effin' hell you're some funny cnuts. And Cocko for yer Mum. Quite a lady.

Thanks to all the lads for making it such a smooth swap, without everyone's assistance we couldn't have pulled it off so easily.

Food was fantastic and plentiful, I've still got marinated pork in the fridge in fact ..

Shout out to mahdu for tuning up this morning to help with the cleanup..

Not in too much trouble for the state of the lawn ;)

Nice one lads, corker of a night, I think the standout beer was the raspberry stout and the partial stein beer

Cheers for the feedback on the raspberry stout gents - glad you all liked it. Here's the recipe:

78.11% maris otter
11.83% flaked barley
8.28% roasted barley
1.78% chocolate malt

60 minute single infusion mash at 65C.

30 min boil (figured I'd give it a try) and bittered to 34IBUs with Challenger hops (30 minute addition only) - the raspberry addition in secondary would have knocked overall IBUs down 2-3 points I reckon.

Fermented at 25C with Danstar Belle Saison
OG 1.046
FG 1.006

After six days of primary ferment (FG already hit - saison yeast sure can chew those sugars) racked 22L of stout onto 3kg of thawed raspberries from woollies. The stout stayed on the berries for two weeks before bottling. Hindsight, should have used a bag to hold the berries as bottling was a royal pain in the arse.

Head is still a bit fuzzy from last night - let me know if I've missed anything obvious in the above recipe.

Happy brewing.

SWAP Bottles.JPG

Everyone likes this shot

Spit.JPG

Just some of the food they had out for us

Adam.JPG

Thas a faaarkin big kettle

Cubes.JPG

Shed was toasty with all of those in there

Fire Pit.JPG

HUGE Ups to Yob, legend, and all the lads involved in what was an awesome day/night!

:beerbang:

Some awesome food and beers were enjoyed, plus a shit load of laughs, you some funny boys.

Just glad my mum didn't come up in conversation, I am sensitive like that.

:super:

AJ80 said:
Cheers for the feedback on the raspberry stout gents - glad you all liked it. Here's the recipe:

78.11% maris otter
11.83% flaked barley
8.28% roasted barley
1.78% chocolate malt

60 minute single infusion mash at 65C.

30 min boil (figured I'd give it a try) and bittered to 34IBUs with Challenger hops (30 minute addition only) - the raspberry addition in secondary would have knocked overall IBUs down 2-3 points I reckon.

Fermented at 25C with Danstar Belle Saison
OG 1.046
FG 1.006

After six days of primary ferment (FG already hit - saison yeast sure can chew those sugars) racked 22L of stout onto 3kg of thawed raspberries from woollies. The stout stayed on the berries for two weeks before bottling. Hindsight, should have used a bag to hold the berries as bottling was a royal pain in the arse.

Head is still a bit fuzzy from last night - let me know if I've missed anything obvious in the above recipe.

Happy brewing.
I missed trying the raspberry stout (damn me for going home early)

It sounds awesome.

Anyone think it would be a bad idea to try racking onto raspberrys with the Swap Day Stout?

GrumpyPaul said:
I missed trying the raspberry stout (damn me for going home early)

It sounds awesome.

Anyone think it would be a bad idea to try racking onto raspberrys with the Swap Day Stout?
I say go for it!

I reckon it could be worth doing some form of mini case swap given everyone will end up taking their cube down a different path...

Had a great time, lots of laughs and thanks heaps to Yob for hosting was an awesome event. Friday arvo through to Sunday arvo with Yob, how did I survive?! Haha, legend.

Yeah thanks Yob and all the contributors had a ball, great feed & beer. Once again, due to other commitments I'm sorry I couldn't show up for the clean up.
Oh and anyone lucky enough to try the Magic Hat "Not Quite Pale Ale" would be interested to know that its served at Captain America's Hamburger Heaven. Went there Sunday night. They Had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Torpedo, Kellerweis. But I'm just fricking dumbstruck that they had the Magic Hat right next to those three! Is it me I wonder, or an American thing like when they tried flog Dr Pepper over here.

Maybe we need to get aj80 onto a Dr Pepper stout. I'd drink that.

Latest posts

Back