2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grainer said:
I can pitch in some cash on the day.. when is it by the way?
29th November according to the calendar bro.

There is a better than even chance that a couple of mad snakes from Mildura might make it.

Is there room for a couple of swags at idzy's ?

Midnight Brew said:
I can front some money for the meat and deliver it to you Mardoo if we go the Mooroolbark route, I never get over Clayton way but if we go that route maybe someone else could fit it in. 21st is a Friday and I can get it to you before then. Consider me committed.
Dear Mr Midnight, I'll chip in for some of the upfront cost too mate.

OK guys, sounds like we're nearly at critical meat mass (hey, don't we all want that!). I'll do some checking on price and then PM you guys. Thanks for the offers. I'd do it myself but she just canna do it, captin!

Thanks, guys. I've been away from the computer over the weekend & we seem to have everything in-hand & able to be sorted-out via PM's between the meaty-people.

I'll ask again if anyone has a cooking grate that would fit over the brazier (where did we get the one used at the last Swap from?). I might see if my "standard" cast-iron grates from my hooded BBQ fit just in case.

Mardoo said:
OK guys, sounds like we're nearly at critical meat mass (hey, don't we all want that!). I'll do some checking on price and then PM you guys. Thanks for the offers. I'd do it myself but she just canna do it, captin!
Mardoo - if you decide to take me up on the offer to front up some cash for you to get it. Let me know I'll make sure I bring it along to club night on Wednesday.

It's looking good guys. I have one more butcher to check then we should be good to go.

Some questions remain:

Amount: Last time 10 kilos boneless pork, 2 legs of lamb. Same amount this time? Looks like roughly the same amount of people.

Mexican pork, Greek lamb? Go full Greek? Something else?

Hickory? Other wood? Anyone prune their apple trees this year and still have clippings around to give to the cause? Apple is the bomb!

MartinOC said:
I'll ask again if anyone has a cooking grate that would fit over the brazier (where did we get the one used at the last Swap from?).
We used the grate from Breakbeer's spit, which I still have as he hasn't picked it up from me. I could bring the bits to the swap, we could use, and hopefully he can get the 7 year old Vietnamese rubber farmer to schlep them back to his house.

OK, money for meat is all sorted, so I can confirm that I am committen' to the spitten'. (any further organization, sourcing and seasoning of the meat and roasting on the day)

Apologies if this was mentioned earlier but I have a couple of questions.

Is the swap beer in glass or plastic?
and
Is it OK to swap beer that will be bottled close to swap date and needs time to condition?

Also could somebody please put me and Awesome Fury on the list as attending at this stage. Possibly swapping depending on the rules.

Yob said:
Equipment??

And also..

Equipment??
What equipment do you need? Is there a list?

We'll be bringing a few kegs (we're self sufficiant with gas and taps etc) and are happy to contribute money and or food for the day. Let me know.

Mayor...

Swaps are Ok in glass or PET
Generally long neck or two smallers bottles is OK (last time Mardoo produce variations of a beer - he submitted a smaller bottle of each)
Once the swap is over we usually start a tasting thread and get everyone to indicate when their beer is ready - no problems with a bit of conditioning time.

Have added you guys to the non swapping attendees list

THere is a swap spot at number 22 vacant if you want to jump in.

Not sure about equipment - but someone will answer that one.

Where are you guys coming from? Mildura or Brisbane????

1. Midnight Brew - Sons of Zeus IPA (Red X, Apollo, Bravo)
2. Grainer - Melandolin Induced Munich Dunkel - Think it came 4 out of 21 in recent comp
3. Idzy
4. Brewnut - Fruity Hopped Saison with Brett
5. Tahoose
6. Siborg
7. Mardoo - Oaten Amber
8. Damn - Golden Ale or APA
9. technobabble66 (tentative)
10. RelaxedBrewer (tentative)
11. JB - bastardised Zombie Dust
12. Navarau
13. mofox1 - Ella's Secret (Aust. IPA)
14. GrumpyPaul - Red IPA
15. Luke1992
16. AJ80 - red(ish) rye saison
17. Whiteferret(tentative)
18. pedleyr
19. AndrewF
20. breakbeer
21. DJ_L3THAL - my first Saison, wish me (or I suppose you) luck!
23. poggor
24. Meats

Reserves:
1. position 22 is vacant for anyone interested

Non-Swap Attendee:
1. 7 year old Vietnamese rubber farmer
2. Manticle
3: Yob
4. CarpeDaym
5. Mardoo
6. Micbrew
7. SmallFry
8. Nullnvoid
9. Mayor of Mildura
10. AwesomeFury

Brewers/Cubers:
1. Idzy
2. technobabble66
3. RelaxedBrewer
4. JB
5. Micbrew
6. mofox1
7. Damn
8. Mardoo
9. GrumpyPaul
10. Yob
11. AJ80
12. Whiteferret(tentative)
13. pedleyr
14. Nullnvoid
15. breakbeer
16. Midnight Brew
17. MartinOC
18. CarpeDaym
19. Grainer
20. Navarau - reserve?
21. Brewnut - Reserve?
22. Luke1992 - Reserve?

Thanks Mate.

I've got a couple of beers on the go at the moment. If they are good and nobody else wants the spot i'll probably put my name down to swap. I'll know in a week or so.

I'm from Brisbane but live in Mildura. This forum used to be different and seems to have gotten my details mixed up.

Yob said:
Equipment??

And also..

Equipment??
So from the PM that kicked off, this is current possible equipment:

Idzy
- 600 litre kettle
- 200 litre mash tun

Whiteferret
- 32 jet mongolian and gas bottle.
- 200l kettle as HLT + stand
- 130lt esky mash tun - maybe built by then
- chugger and hoses

Midnight Brew
- High Pressure Stockpot Burner 200lt - if required

Yob
- 80lt mash tun
- HLT
- HEX + pump etc

Do we need additional(?):

- Burner / stand
- Pumps
- Hoses
- Camlock connections

We still need:
- a boil plan
- some anti foam agent
- and probably either a kettle top up or a double sparge this time.

Yob: "Can bring my 120l pot but it ain't big enough for the output we need, Idzy, may have to look at charging your kettle with strike liquor for both mash tuns and then using the 44 gal to sparge. Can we get a breakdown (in a discussion thread) with the equipment so we can get our heads around it. With a bit of planning we'll crack it".

Me: Sorry guys, I probably can't assist with anything more valuable that an LPG gas bottle.

Working out the mash & boil plan on this scale with this equipment may be a bit beyond me too, but hope this helps kick off the planning discussion.

JB said:
Working out the mash & boil plan on this scale with this equipment may be a bit beyond me too, but hope this helps kick off the planning discussion.
Thats what I thought before the last one :lol:

Idzy System 1

- 600 litre kettle Strike water for 150L MT and 200L MT
- 200 litre mash tun MT1

Output? 220L? (Double sparge)

Whiteferret System 2
- 32 jet mongolian and gas bottle. Sparge Liquor System
- 200l kettle as HLT + stand Sparge Liquor System
- 130lt esky mash tun - maybe built by then MT2
- chugger and hoses

Output? 150L? (Double sparge)

Midnight Brew
- High Pressure Stockpot Burner 200lt - if required Is this the one we used last time?

Yob System 3
- 80lt mash tun
- HLT
- HEX + pump etc
- MM3 Mill

Output? 80-100L

Setup Friday again?

Rough plan above.. at least in my head it works..

Strike with idzys, sparge with WF's Mine will look after itself, it comes down to liquor transfer. and topping up the kettle I think..

Given how the last one ran, we will struggle with controlling the boil, Ill get onto that anti foam binnezz.. we should aim for a bit longer a mash to allow all our HLT's to get back to temps, every vessel is going to be pushed to it's limits :)

Looks good. Have just posted a recipe in the recipe thread based on 440 litres. Based on measurements last time, the main vessel is probably more like 500 litres, so it is going to be at the absolute edge...

Hell yeah it will..

Happy to bring stuff over on the Friday and do a setup like last time again if you like? Will leave much more time on the Saturday for important binnezz

(beer and food)

;)

Right: So I'm committed to not pulling out and brewing something because I miss this shit so much! Also I have a bunch of useless shit I've learnt from my uni course over the last three years to erase from my memory.... so: alchohol!

I haven't brewed anything for a few months so I'm gonna need to do something with a relatively quick turnover. So was thinking something that won't need too much conditioning: maybe an APA or a Hefe? Anyone have any recommendations on brew that need little conditioning and are best drunk "fresh"? I'm open to all styles and comfortable brewing most of them. It's my last week of uni this week, so I'm gonna have a bit of time up my sleeves to crack out a quick brew for this swap, force carb and bottle.

Also, I'm happy to chip in some cash for foodstuffs. Happy to bring something (suggestions?) if need be.

I've already worded up the missus and organised a lift with her.

Latest posts

Back