2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wilkensone said:
Hey Malt Shovel,

Just wondering how you find growing your hops in Perth? I know I have missed the season this year but I am looking to get setup ready for next year as I have heard over winter is the best time to try find rhizomes.
Good luck with your harvest!
This is my first attempt so I don't have much to compare with but I learnt early on that they need an automated dripper system and some good mulch to prevent the soil drying out. The fuggles were early to sprout but suffered from lack of water and mulch. Other than that everything seems to be fine. The chinook and cascade and saaz seem to be the best performers. Next year should be better with them established. Hopswest in Albany supplied the rhizhomes.

I've also found a few grasshoppers on mine over the last week, thinking of making up a chilli and/or garlic spray but not sure how effective it will be.

On a more positive note I'm very stoked to have some flowers forming on one of the 1st year golding, didn't think I'd see any flowers this season.

Geez I hope the Victorian hop crop is holding up ok in this heatwave- my stand of Cascade bines has been decimated just when the flowers were starting to mature :(

POR has not survived the heat, it's up against the wall of my shed and I guess with the reflected heat as well as ambient.. by the time I saw it, it's pretty shrivelled..

Hopefully I can save the zome.. its the potted ones that suffer the most in these extreme conditions..

my potted plant has suffered the same fate the leaves have shrivelled up...i am still giving it water.

I'll give the flowers a sniff and decide if they're worth using- looking pretty crackly

I've got 11 plants, all of them in pots and this week has seen them go crazy. Sending out new bines, laterals and flowers. I just gave them a good soaking and a good hit of seasol / powerfeed in the days prior to the heat coming and then just a squirt in the mornings.. Mind you, i'm also on Phillip Island so we're a few degrees coolers here as well.

My Mt Hood have had it, all shrivelled up. My Cascade, in the pot right next to Mt Hood are flourishing....same water care and feeding to both :blink:

The Melbourne heat is a killer.

Bottom of my Cascade seems to have born the brunt of the white flies and extreme heat that has plagued this year's growing season. Most leaves have disappeared, stalks turned brown - but the tops are doing well, if only I had more vertical support for them to grow.
Soaking every second day in this heat, adding fertiliser every second week.

Same- I'm watering morning and night, fertilizing every few weeks. I guess this kind of damage is expected in these conditions, given they are positioned to maximize hours of direct sunlight exposure, and are too tall to throw shade cloth over. Pretty crushing, oh well always next year.
I'm more concerned about the commercial farms - hope their crop survives!

Well, heatwave over for now. My chinook still seem OK (some I had in a pot are a bit singed). They are first year hops and I've grown them along a fence, yet despite this they seem to have started flowering during this crazy hot week! ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389957051.920111.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389957067.152208.jpg

I'm finding the heat is particularly getting to my Goldings and Hallertaur. Cascade and Chinook seem to be coping a bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6WszhMurxw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

here's some of mine, my first time growing them. i got some bigger rhizomes off "mmmyummybeer" from this site, they've gone great guns. i got a few smaller rhizomes off an ebay seller, far less growth. i'm in gippsland, vic, mt hood came up first, cascade next than for a while i thought the willamette and POR weren't going to shoot, about a month later they popped up.

mt hood flowers

gallery_29576_1134_42637.jpg

mt hood
gallery_29576_1134_76099.jpg

cascade, 2 rhizomes
gallery_29576_1134_4781.jpg

younger rhizome off ebay, cascade on the left, willamette on the right
gallery_29576_1134_191336.jpg

will be on the lookout for some centennial and chinook this year

edit: i bought some cheap rope from supercheap and rigged up a "close-line" using old treated pine lying around, i had no idea they would grow so well, will change the set-up next year.

IMG_20140125_050408.jpg

First harvest.
Chinook. Two bines that gave 125gm wet.

The Cascade looks to have about twice that off a single bine.

Thinking I will throw some of these in half a batch of APA as a wet / dry hop and dry out the rest.

Anyone else harvesting early?

My poor old thing is getting over last heat wave in melbourne,starting to get new leaves and new bines..don't think i will get any crop this year

Despite the furnace of last week, the cascade and the chinook seem to be holding up OK

Others dont seem to be as well off.. POR has been decimated. Like DU99, others are sending new shoots, Tett fro example has 3 or 4 new bines erupting, the laterals seem to be having a go, so maybe it'll be ok.. who the hell knows :blink:

Cascade.jpg

Cascade

Chinook.jpg

Chinook

Houston, we have FLOWERS !!

and several new bines also, but ... flowers!
It's a 1st year Chinook 'zome from DrS, so i didn't think it'd produce. So i'm obviously rather stoked i've got something to harvest. B)

In the 4x 40+°C heatwave from ~10 days ago, i was watering it morning & night - had only 2 tiny laterals lose a few inches from scorching. Pretty happy getting through it unscathed. (commiserations to those not so fortunate!)

FWIW, i've grown mine in a large planter box, where the bines grow up about 1.8m then extend horizontally another metre or 3. So the horizontal thing doesn't seem to affect them too detrimentally, though obviously you never know if they'd be twice as prolific if i'd grown them 100% vertically. The flowers are mainly across the horizontal (upper) section, with a few on laterals of the lower vertical section.
Just putting this out there in response to some interest in training the vines horizontally/espalier (from earlier this last year in this thread).

PS: Happy Australia Day !! :kooi:

PPS: those chinook & cascade are lookin good, Yob!

Latest posts

Back