2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my rough and ready trellis. Made from 90 x 45 hardwood and bolted all together. Hopefully it's strong enough :unsure:

1aa3fb8e.jpg

Filfy, out of curiosity how deep (roughly) is the trellis in the ground?

Dug a hole 1mt deep. Trellis is supported each side with star pegs and tek screwed.

Here's my rough and ready trellis. Made from 90 x 45 hardwood and bolted all together. Hopefully it's strong enough :unsure:

1aa3fb8e.jpg

Looks good but a row of five of them on my hill would feak the locals.

+ 1 on that.

I dont know what they are like in NSW, but around these parts they are quite strict on vegetation and any obstructions around power poles and lines.
I have 5 poles going through the property and having seen how hops grow last year for the first time i would not be putting them within buggery of power lines / poles.

Considering that the trees on the side of road grow onto , through and around power lines, I think they would have to have a very good excuse for making a complaint. How is it any different?

:blink: Nice set up Filfy.

Was just thinking during today that I Wolfy has a nice set up. :icon_cheers:

What can you say about Smurto's trellis, hey? The guy's a genius, Mr. super practical. :lol:

I better get cracking on something for this year. All I have is last years set up of 4 tree trunks, some barbed wire and some baling twine. :unsure:

I started a new thread for my trellis so it wouldn't get lost in here and may be able to help someone searching for ideas like i was.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry943365

Yeah that's very neat mate. I think 'Malted' has a similar single pole setup with a ring through lowering system. He grows some nice hops on his too, so they do work well. I was looking through last year's thread a few weeks ago and admiring his Cascades.
Good luck with yours.

Reading this thread got my act into gear last weekend, I had to move one of my planter boxes because the two of them were too close to each other. The root system for my rhizomes that are now one year old are impressive, it looked like some sort of alien. The chinook has at least 20 shoots ready to go for this year and the golding which i did not dig up had four new shoots poking up, both got some new dirt and some pea straw for the rest of winter treatment.

I planted my hops rhizomes a couple of weeks ago and these things are the first to show.

1dscn1226.jpg 1dscn1227.jpg
1dscn1228.jpg

I've not grown hops before but these don't look like the ones I've seen on the thread so I'm assuming they are some sort of weed. If anyone can confirm for me that these are not hops I'll get them out of the way and await the real thing.

Thanks for your help.

Looks like a pea to me, probably from the mulch/pea straw.

second that, not a hop. it has tendrils rather than bines

Peas add nitrogen, so you could let them grow and then mulch them.

Thanks guys, they'll be removed, I hate peas!

I would leave them in. As Hoppy mentioned, they add much needed nitrogen to the soil and this are oftern rotated in fields for just that reason. Can pull them and just add fertiliser but if it is free and natural, may as well just leave them.

You could brew an I-pea-A.

:ph34r:

boardroom-clapping-people.jpg

In my case, I drove four self tappers about five meter's up the trunk of a mighty ironbark in the back yard.

Should look quite ornamental once the once the Chinook - erm - take off...

Back