2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a load of bollox... it's a effing grub....

Dung Beetle

<_<

:unsure: Ummm... perhaps you need to use your imagination. :(

:lol: Hihi, you crack me up I swears Yob. Actually they had a feature on Landline the tv program a couple of years ago. They're the pre-beetle stage of the dung beetle if I'm not mistaken. I didn't know what they were either till I saw them on Landline.
Australia has a number of native species and a government fellow from some department imported a number of species as well. The native species feed on pellet type manures from native animals and the imported ones were brought in for stuff like cow manure which you would probably be aware comes in large pats.
I'm always digging them up on my patch. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a wood burrowing variety. After all they like potatoes so its not just dung they eat.

You will find pictures if you use the word 'larvae'. :icon_cheers:

You will find pictures if you use the word 'larvae'. :icon_cheers:

I think you will find I already had...

Capture1.JPG

note the distinct differences..

Capture.JPG

image from the link previously discussed

<_<

I have a sort of teepee looking arrangement. I got a 5 or 6 m length of galvanised square section from Stratco or something like that and put some screw in eyelets around the top. Ropes go up from where the rhizomes are planted to the top, through the eyelet and then down to a tie-off point so I can hopefully lower the bines for harvesting (or yank them down).

The centre post just slips over a looong star picket bashed deep into the ground and sits on some bricks to keep it off the ground. Pretty stable once it's guyed with the hop ropes, we'll see how it goes before I concrete it in.

No sprouts yet though :(

that sounds good...what diameter was the square section? must be fairly large to slip over a star picket!! I had something similar in mind..a very narrow but very tall pole/rod/post but wasnt too sure of a simple way to secure it upright, but this sounds good!..how long is your starpicket? and what depth is it buried to?...at a height of 5m+ I imagine the star picket must be in the ground at least a metre, and above the ground even further?? do you have any pics?...do you really need to concrete it in???

In the above reference there is a statement which reads,

"All of these are Scarabaeidae, have white grubs, and are turf pests."

Some of you might recall from your history education mention of the Scarab or Egyptian dung beetle. As mentioned previously there are numerous species of dung beetle.
I don't know what Yob is going on about, they look like one and the same to me or very similar at least. There is a number of different grubs pictured under Dung Beetle larvae that I found. :icon_cheers:

Do you have any designs for stringing up the bines? I would really love to see peoples ideas for a self supporting/ free standing structure that allows hops to grow high in a suburban backyard.

I had several horizontal wires about 2 metres off the ground. My vertical strings upon which the hops climbed fanned out from the ground around the hop crown to the horizontal wires and then up to the top of one of my posts. (I have 4 post in a rectangular configuration.
When you tie bits of string up to your horizontal wires it tends to pull down on the wires and earlier strings you attached become loose. The loose hop bines flap around in the wind and sustain damage. By taking the strings up to the top of the post it maintains strain on your lines and keeps them tight.

POR_2012_and_70_cluster_planting_30_June_001.jpg

I would also love to see pics of what everyone else does, I'm setting up a couple of pines posts this weekend and am still working out exactly how i'm doing it.

there were alot of ideas in last years thread, I love what BARLS did in a suburban environment.. Lots of other good iseas and photos in there is you feel like having a trawl though it.

Gonna go a grab some potting mix for mine tomorrow. Time to pot them up methinks!!?,

Planning to get mine in pots tomorrow as well, still haven't got my trellis up but that can wait another month or so I guess, off to the big green shed to get bags of potting mix.

Planning to get mine in pots tomorrow as well, still haven't got my trellis up but that can wait another month or so I guess, off to the big green shed to get bags of potting mix.

I'm putting up some fencing mesh this year because its a lot easier than mucking around with strings and it should stop the plants getting blown around and damaged as much. There are some good pics on last year's thread of plants grown on mesh. I would recommend it to anyone growing hops that are planning to hand pick.

most of mine are now sprouting bines. They are only several incheslong poking out of the fairly shallow 'grave' but they have grown over the last several days.........despite getting dug out by a carring wife and kids last week.

I'm putting up some fencing mesh this year because its a lot easier than mucking around with strings and it should stop the plants getting blown around and damaged as much. There are some good pics on last year's thread of plants grown on mesh. I would recommend it to anyone growing hops that are planning to hand pick.

didnt you say that a lille way back?

echo... echo... echo...

do you need to be heard that much that it needs double posting? ;)

...sorry...

Well I prepared five areas today, I'll plant out the hops in the morning. It's all peracuture hops here.

batz

Well I prepared five areas today, I'll plant out the hops in the morning. It's all peracuture hops here.

batz

If you need any cascade ,chinook,golding, rhizomes I have quite a few if you are passing by.

didnt you say that a lille way back?

echo... echo... echo...

do you need to be heard that much that it needs double posting? ;)

...sorry...

:D Doesn't hurt to remind people. There's a few things I've read on here that didn't really sink in the first time.

Back