2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my rhizome supplies sorted (mostly), and a reasonable variety (Chinook, Cascade, Perle, Hersbucker, Mt Hood).
On the weekend, I bought a couple of metres of organic soil; "super soil", according to the supplier, containing added mushroom compost. I have purchased some 2.4m long TP (treated pine) sleepers, and cut them in halves and joined them to make some squares.

I dug up and loosened the soil/clay/gravel about 30 cm below each square and filled the frame with the "super soil".
Will be adding trellis/frame for bine support, and may need to add more squares too. One side of the trellis will be the power pole beside my driveway.

Also plan to set up an irrigation system so the hops don't dry out on me and lose growth capacity/yield.

Photos to come. I took some snaps on my phone, but have a much better camera at home.

Image006.jpg
Image007.jpg
Image008.jpg
Image009.jpg

Les the Bines-guy

Putting my first rhizomes in and pole up this week.

I have two varieties that i'll be putting in a couple of large open ended pieces of plastic pipe. I will have a post in between them with a spread of four strings going up either side to the post.

Bought a length of 75 x 50 x 2 RHS and cut it at 4.3m. Bought a metre of 65 x 35 x 4 mm rhs and will concrete it 700mm into the ground.

Couple of rings welded to the top of the long piece and i will stand it up and slip it over the 300mm of smaller rhs sticking out of the ground. This will allow me to lower it again if i ever need to without having to put complex hinging systems in.

I was planning to use blue/yellow telstra type parramatta rope. Does anyone know if this is suitable for the bines to cling to?

I'll take some pics as i go. Hopefully it will help someone else. :)

I was planning to use blue/yellow telstra type parramatta rope. Does anyone know if this is suitable for the bines to cling to?
That's likely very similar rope to what I used last year, and it worked fine - the rope did fray a little at the top by the end of the season though (and one broke), but it's likely my arrangement (throwing the rope over a top wire) will be different to yours.

Ended up planting mine today. Built a 6mt high t-trellis on tuesday and mounded up dirt then dug the holes. Rhizomes already had a few little starter nodes on them, so hopefully they take off, and frost doesn't get them

Ended up planting mine today. Built a 6mt high t-trellis on tuesday and mounded up dirt then dug the holes. Rhizomes already had a few little starter nodes on them, so hopefully they take off, and frost doesn't get them

:blink: 6m Filfy? Nice height. Have you considered hanging a 4ft wide length of ringlock fencing vertically from it?

That's something I have often contemplated. :rolleyes:

Sweet. :icon_chickcheers:

Out of interest, how do you plan on harvesting them?? Any photo's???

I have a power pole on one end of my line of bines. I will attempt to build a trellis with a cross-piece to support the ropes at each end and a tall tipi structure to support the T-piece at that end. Multiple strings to dangle from the support wires.

Maybe a picture will explain better?

Hop_trellis.jpg

When you say you have a power pole, is it on your property? and more so do you have the right to attach things too it? Hate to bring a negative vibe to what you are doing but the responsible authority for the pole might not be too keen on you making modifications to their pole.

it's between two hop beds on his diagram so I'd assume it's on the property.

When you say you have a power pole, is it on your property? and more so do you have the right to attach things too it? Hate to bring a negative vibe to what you are doing but the responsible authority for the pole might not be too keen on you making modifications to their pole.
I paid for the 2 power poles on my land and they belong to me. I will not be making any non-reversible changes to said pole.

I will not be able to reach the power lines with my ladder, but I can reach high enough to attach a support for my trellis.

If the electrickery mob want to dispute my use of my property, I suggest they might be needing some legal representation.

Just ended up using baling twine for mine. Harvest will involve extension ladder and cutting of the twine. Hopefully there's a few worth harvesting.
Did see the ring lock fencing idea after I'd put mine up, will do that next year.

I paid for the 2 power poles on my land and they belong to me. I will not be making any non-reversible changes to said pole.

I will not be able to reach the power lines with my ladder, but I can reach high enough to attach a support for my trellis.

If the electrickery mob want to dispute my use of my property, I suggest they might be needing some legal representation.
Don't be overly surprised when the hops grow all the way to the top of your trellis and then up onto the power line (assuming the power pole has wire ontop of it).

If the pole has electricity wires on the top and is used to transmit electricity (to your house) don't be overly surprised if there is government legislation meaning that the 'electrickery mob' can tell you exactly what to do and not to do with the power pole, even if it's on private property and you paid for it - just like they tell you what you can and can't do inside the house when wiring power points, lights and the like.

Don't be overly surprised when the hops grow all the way to the top of your trellis and then up onto the power line (assuming the power pole has wire ontop of it).

If the pole has electricity wires on the top and is used to transmit electricity (to your house) don't be overly surprised if there is government legislation meaning that the 'electrickery mob' can tell you exactly what to do and not to do with the power pole, even if it's on private property and you paid for it - just like they tell you what you can and can't do inside the house when wiring power points, lights and the like.

+ 1 on that.

I dont know what they are like in NSW, but around these parts they are quite strict on vegetation and any obstructions around power poles and lines.
I have 5 poles going through the property and having seen how hops grow last year for the first time i would not be putting them within buggery of power lines / poles.

If you need any cascade ,chinook,golding, rhizomes I have quite a few if you are passing by.

Cheers ratchie, I have cascade, goldings, mt hood, victoria and cluster this year. I think I'll see how they go.

I have my rhizome supplies sorted (mostly), and a reasonable variety (Chinook, Cascade, Perle, Hersbucker, Mt Hood).
On the weekend, I bought a couple of metres of organic soil; "super soil", according to the supplier, containing added mushroom compost. I have purchased some 2.4m long TP (treated pine) sleepers, and cut them in halves and joined them to make some squares.

I dug up and loosened the soil/clay/gravel about 30 cm below each square and filled the frame with the "super soil".
Will be adding trellis/frame for bine support, and may need to add more squares too. One side of the trellis will be the power pole beside my driveway.

Also plan to set up an irrigation system so the hops don't dry out on me and lose growth capacity/yield.

Photos to come. I took some snaps on my phone, but have a much better camera at home.

Les the Bines-guy

Looking good Les,
You can't go wrong with mushie compost, we buy it for $50.00 per tonne and use tonnes of it in all our veggie gardens. Bonus is you get great mushrooms for the first few weeks as well.

Perhaps too late now but it a good idea to place plastic in your garden beds, treaded pine is treated with arsenic and it will leach into your soil.

And posted... <_<

Why do you advise such things you have never tried?

You are, I say, one of AHB's most prolific theorists.

Results not theory please.

Well Yob, going on your logic, you shouldn't be posting on this thread at all. You have, as far as I'm aware, absolutely no results to show for your hop growing efforts. :p

Back