2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are unable to get 2 kilos of wet hops off the Cascade you transplanted today mozzi you're as weak as water. :lol:

Thanx to Hoppy and Ratchie i now have 3 trellises to build for my first ever try at growing hops , Cluster , Por and hallertua cant wait. :kooi:

Good luck with that Beeman. Lots of liquid manure worked wonders for me last year. :beer:
Good luck to you too mozzi. I only intended the above comment as a bit of motivation, don't take it too serious. :D

hey there boys

imm still looking for a cascade rhizomes if anyone has some

Good luck with that Beeman. Lots of liquid manure worked wonders for me last year. :beer:
Good luck to you too mozzi. I only intended the above comment as a bit of motivation, don't take it too serious. :D

Cheers mate was going to start today , i have a couple of days off but we are in the middle of the biggest storm we have had all year lol best laid plans and all that ..... yesterday was 19 and sunny :angry:

would 8ft be high enough for the first year ? will get more funds next season for a better trellis apparently SWMBO thinks i have spent enough on hobbies for the time being :eek:

8ft should be enough for the Cluster as it doesn't grow much beyond that height especially in its first season Beemann. POR should crack at least 4 metres unrestricted.
Tipping as mozzi has suggested may work, but if done to early the plant will just grow a new leader shoot.
Did you prune your Golding and only leave one bine mozziyob? :huh: My plants all had millions of shoots.

My bloody chickens!!!!!

I put up a 1.3m chook wire fence to keep them off the hops and one managed to get over and dug up *8* pots. Thanksfully the tags and rhizomes stayed in the pots.....and it left a bloody egg in one too. This morningI put them all together and covered the entire thing with chicken wire like a blanket. Las time before I turn it into soup. At least the soil is aerated now

8ft should be enough for the Cluster as it doesn't grow much beyond that height especially in its first season Beemann. POR should crack at least 4 metres unrestricted.
Tipping as mozzi has suggested may work, but if done to early the plant will just grow a new leader shoot.

8ft? In a pot maybe, in the ground I am skeptical of this being an accurate maximum.

Tipping them sounds like fun.
Laddder_fail.jpg

Major sucking up to SWMBO coming up @ Malted those flag pole trellises of yours look yhe go. ;)

8ft? In a pot maybe, in the ground I am skeptical of this being an accurate maximum.

View attachment 56641

Yeah they were in the ground Malted. I've read on some sites that Cluster is a tall variety, but I do recall reading somewhere also that it doesn't really grow over 3 metres much. The one Beemann obtained from me under the name Cluster is only fairly short growing.

Yeah they were in the ground Malted. I've read on some sites that Cluster is a tall variety, but I do recall reading somewhere also that it doesn't really grow over 3 metres much. The one Beemann obtained from me under the name Cluster is only fairly short growing.
I see. So you have read that it is tall and short. You think yours is a short variety. How many plants and how long have you been growing them to make this conclusion?
So your advice is, if it grows to 3m then you reccommend a trellis 8 feet in height?

Really looking forward to running some experiments with this in the coming season.. Im going to let some bines run and tip others so should be able to get some comparison from the same plants that I apply it to.

It certainly worked well on some cousins some years back :rolleyes:

:icon_cheers:

Cluster is commercially known to have a "Vigorous but manageable" growing habit, I very much doubt that a home-grown variety has essentially 'hybridized' to grow to only 3m. If the plant is planted in the ground, well maintained (water/food/soil etc) and given adequate room to grow, I'd find it highly improbable that it would stop growing at only 3m tall (on a rope/trellis/wire that went straight up).
In all seriousness if it has, 'compact' or 'low growing' hops are all the rage in the UK, so you could probably make significant money by selling it to the Poms either to use or for their breeding stock.

Back