2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my cluster and columbus had done nothing until a week ago. now over 2m, chinook had done the same a month ago.

I have cones on one, and burrs on a couple including a shed load on the POR.

Someones been planting beans in my garden! I wonder who that could of been...

One of my columbus and chinook are dead unfortunately :(
The rest have been growing at least 2-5 inches a day for the last 2-3 weeks.

Keep in mind these are plants that were knee high in pots at the end of last season.. so 1.5 year plants?

IMG_9910.JPG

The garden of joy.
(You can see the last sip of 1000 IBU in the front :))

IMG_9911.JPG

My hoods on the far right have both 2.5-3m tall with 1/2 bines per plant in the last few weeks.
Goldings are the 2nd to the right with both plants having about 4-7 bines per string.

IMG_9913.JPG

Hallertau's are still going crazy, they are on the far left with at least 10+ bines per plant.
The one in the back corner i has laterals everywhere with at least 15+ bines & new shoots every day.

IMG_9914.JPG

The Goldings at the far back in the second picture.
Again these plants are shooting bines everywhere. The right string has at least 6-7.

IMG_9915.JPG

The Hallertau at the far back in the third picture.
Again this one has more bines then the goldings, however its more 'spread out' with fewer leaves. There's about 7 wandering around the bottom looking for string space.
Laterals are starting to shoot out as you can see on the second left string.

anyone know if galaxy rhizomes are available to the masses, or are they copyright(?) like amarillo?

google revealed naught

Anyone got any idea what causes the leaves to go brown and dry? Only happening on 2 of my 6 plants.

IMG_1111.JPG

Cheers

Fil

Wow it's amazing to see how FAST these things grow! I guess it's too late to plant rhizomes for this season now but I'm super keen to get some going next year - I have plenty of room to grow a few plants, they could go up to 3 meters height and probably 4 meters width to grow a few different ones..

The more vigorous of mine have reached the top of their lines, which means they've grown about 4m in the last 4 weeks.
hops_111127.jpg

POR is growing well this year:
hops_111127_por.jpg

And the Halleratu:
hops_111127_halleratu.jpg

I presume the wet summer suits the Goldings well also:
hops_111127_golding.jpg

Most of the American varieties are still only getting started, so will see how they go through the summer.

izat a little chook house going in down the back there Wolfy?

A seriously nice Hop Yard and looks the Ducks man!! :icon_drool2:
Yep, that's the Chook Fortress, has to keep the foxes and snakes out at night-time (chickens are free-range in daytime, guarded by 2x black Labs).

I think next year I'll need to throw up some more string for the hops to grow up, some plants (2nd year) already have spread quite a bit.

Well my Chinook has finally started up again, it has the nice new green leaves and the stem is moving upwards. I thought it had completely stalled. I ripped off all of the yellow dead leaves to help it think about surviving, don't know if that's what kick started it but something has.

IMG_0334.JPG

1st year Saaz. how long does it take for the flowers to mature from this stage?

View attachment 50483

1st year Saaz. how long does it take for the flowers to mature from this stage?
I can't say how long to mature as there are too many variables.
What I can say is don't expect the cones to be very large comparatively to other varieties such as Chinook. Saaz seem to be a small sized cone, possibly around 2cm in length.
Maybe I'll get bigger cones this year but I am doubtfull.

Anyone got any idea what causes the leaves to go brown and dry? Only happening on 2 of my 6 plants.

View attachment 50436

Cheers

Fil

Fil,
Without knowing your fertilizer and watering methods I would think likely this is a deficiency symptom and possibly Potassium deficiency

Given your growing in a pot and is easy to leach mobile nutrients out (like potassium and nitrogen) this could be it.

like this

potassium.jpg

Once the hops get actively growing they are gross feeders and it is hard to feed them too much, mine have just started getting their first bines growing and they are growing a few inches per day!

One really good way to keep up with them is to feed with good quality slow release fertilizer and top up with liquid fert like seasol or thrive on a regular basis.
If they have been in the pot more than one season then you could also consider pulling the rhizome out during dormant stage in winter and refreshing the potting mix with new stuff.

Good Luck
Stinger

View attachment 50436

Cheers

Fil

I agree with Stinger. I've got the exact same thing happening to a couple of my plants that are in pots. I'm not a botanist but from the reading I have done I think it's potassium deficiency. I chucked on some potash and heaps of manure and that seems to have stimulated some new growth.

I had almost all the leaves on a bine die off somewhat like that. I heard it could be due to shooting early and shorter daylight causing the plant to die back thinking its still winter.
(I added blood and bone with potash prior to planting so I dont think pottasium was the problem for me)
I didnt add anything after they had died back then a bunch of new bines grew out of the main bine and it also restarted growing upwards.
Seems to be going good now.

in 9 days the golding little shoot in the bottom of the pic from here has grown into the monster in the foreground; and there is another bine coming from the right hand corner that was not there last week
Image0535.jpg

the POR has taken off
Image0533.jpg

but the best thing is the cascades...had to climb the ladder to take the last 2 shots
Image0534.jpg
Image0536.jpg
Image0537.jpg

checked on my babies last night & noticed they have a couple of little new friends:

392159_10150391679000976_589890975_8876101_399525807_n.jpg

I agree with Stinger. I've got the exact same thing happening to a couple of my plants that are in pots. I'm not a botanist but from the reading I have done I think it's potassium deficiency. I chucked on some potash and heaps of manure and that seems to have stimulated some new growth.

I had the same problem as well and I was told that it was water stress and I backed off with the watering and it started to pick up and overall actually grew a little quicker.

Latest posts

Back