2010 Wa State Amateur Brewers Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...beat me to the bump ;)

Just a few weeks left guys - let's make it the best one yet & get some cracking beers to represent us over at the AABC! :D

Sounds like it's going to be a big one - good thing the judging is spread over two days!

Just another reminder, people.
All entries must be in by Sunday, 5th of September.
Cheers, John. :icon_cheers:

I am not entering so you guys stand a better chance :lol: Truth is I dont have any beers ready that I think are worthy of best of show.So no point. Any mug can carpet bomb. <_<
GB

I am not entering so you guys stand a better chance :lol: Truth is I dont have any beers ready that I think are worthy of best of show.So no point. Any mug can carpet bomb. <_<
GB

I only have two which I think are worthy of being ripped to shit, so I'll just have to see ;)

Hi Guys, what kind of feedback do you get from the judges at this kind of competition? I have just moved over to AG and want some construtive criticisim (which most my friends cannot really give me as they mostly drink "premium lagers"). I have a pale ale that I am bottling next week after 1 week in primary and 2 in secondary that I thought I could enter for feedback but even so...I have I left it too late??

Yep

WASABC - State Champion is all about your best three beers.
But... National Champion at the AABC is a point system based on all beers entered/qualified

So to gain advantage at the national level, according to the rules; You should try to qualify as many beers as possible at the state level.

Call it what you want. I call it competing. People who choose not to compete because they won't win should forfeit all right to comment.

Outbreak,
Comps are great place for simple feedback, your style accuracy, and fault identifications. Definitely enter even if its only a good benchmarking exercise for your new AG adventure.
For a more in depth discussion on your beer bring a bottle along to a Westcoast Brewers meeting sometime.

& Good luck

Asher

WASABC Rules:

17. To be eligible for champion brewer, a brewer must enter a minimum of three beers. The champion brewer medal will be awarded to the brewer with the highest average score over their three top scoring beers.

AABC Rules:

D10. Champion Brewer and Champion State. The sum of category placing points is to be
used for deciding Champion Brewer and Champion State. Category placing points are 3
points for first place, 2 points for second place, and 1 point for third place. If there is a tie for
first place, then the sum of points normally available for first and second places (3 + 2 = 5
points) will be split equally between the two winners (i.e. 2 points each), and the third
placegetter will receive 1 point. If there is a tie for second place, then the points normally
available for second and third places (2 + 1 = 3 points) will be split equally between the two
second placegetters (i.e. 1 points each). If there is a tie (in the number of placing points) for
Champion Brewer or Champion State then the sum of the placing points times the judging
points will be used to decide the winners. For example, a win (3 placing points) for a beer
receiving 130 judging points and a third place (1 placing point) for a beer receiving 110
judging points would have a total of 500 points. If there is still a tie, then joint winners will be
declared.

So I have an Amber Ale I made (not with the intention of entering it), that I'd now like to enter, but there's no category for it!! I can't really find anything that it fits..I was thinking American Brown, but I'm not sure that it's "big" enough for it...Anyone else have a similar dilemma, or have any hints on what it should go in as??

So I have an Amber Ale I made (not with the intention of entering it), that I'd now like to enter, but there's no category for it!! I can't really find anything that it fits..I was thinking American Brown, but I'm not sure that it's "big" enough for it...Anyone else have a similar dilemma, or have any hints on what it should go in as??

Put it in "other specialty" and describe it as "Amber Ale" and any further descriptors if appropriate (ie American)

Re: "other specialty" -

"This category can also be used as an incubator for any minor world beer style (other than Belgians) for which there is currently no AABA category. If sufficient interest exists, some of these minor styles might be promoted to full styles in the future."

Put it in "other specialty" and describe it as "Amber Ale" and any further descriptors if appropriate (ie American)

I was hoping you weren't going to say that, because I have another one to enter as "other" :p

I was hoping you weren't going to say that, because I have another one to enter as "other" :p

If WA is the same as QLD then they will be following the national version of the BJCP, and no American Amber. Apparently despite ravings on the Jamil Show etc it's not a particularly "active" style in Australia and has been dropped for some time. The BJCP can't be everywhere at once and there are heaps of beers that fall through the cracks in the system. I'd love to put in something like a Camerons of Hartlepool Strongarm but it's not quite a mild, not really bitter, wrong colour for a best bitter......... etc etc. Another example I can think of is American Malt Liquor. It's a beer and quite popular in the land of the brave and the home of the BJCP but no style guide AFAIK. And I've got a keg sitting in my k'rator gassing up at the moment. :icon_drunk:

Is it against the rules (or spirit) of the comp to enter a beer that isnt your own recipe?

The reason is I would love to get feedback/constructive criticism to see how my AGs are going, mainly to see if my technique needs refining, any off flavours I'm not picking up on, or other things a fresh/more educated palate might be able to pick up on. Only problem is I only have three beers at the moment, one was an experiment with last runnings beefed up with malt extract and tastes pretty bad, the other is a stout (the beer I want feedback on) and an IPA (of which there is only one bottle left) so this leaves me short of the three beers needed to enter, or do you only need three beers to be eligable for a trophy?

Is it against the rules (or spirit) of the comp to enter a beer that isnt your own recipe?

The reason is I would love to get feedback/constructive criticism to see how my AGs are going, mainly to see if my technique needs refining, any off flavours I'm not picking up on, or other things a fresh/more educated palate might be able to pick up on. Only problem is I only have three beers at the moment, one was an experiment with last runnings beefed up with malt extract and tastes pretty bad, the other is a stout (the beer I want feedback on) and an IPA (of which there is only one bottle left) so this leaves me short of the three beers needed to enter, or do you only need three beers to be eligable for a trophy?

I say it's fine. All beer recipes are pretty similar in the end, it's more about technique. And no one has the copyrights on a beer recipe. So if they post it or publish it any one can use it. I enter beers that i got the base recipe from someone, and then just tweeked or changed to availabilty of ingredients.

Just my point of view

I think it's fine - if you've directly used someone elses recipe grain for grain and you win a prize you may want to give them credit or even just let them know - but otherwise don't be shy, just enter your beers!

There's far more to brewing than the recipe.

Nope
Only problem is I only have three beers at the moment, one was an experiment with last runnings beefed up with malt extract and tastes pretty bad, the other is a stout (the beer I want feedback on) and an IPA (of which there is only one bottle left) so this leaves me short of the three beers needed to enter, or do you only need three beers to be eligable for a trophy?
From memory, your top three scores count towards the champion brewer award. You can enter a single beer if you like.

Check http://wasabc.org/rules/ specifically rule 9 regarding the amount of each beer required, and rule 17 regarding number of entries required to be eligible for champion brewer.

Regards,
garyd

I took my three beers to Neils yesturday.My Pilsner and brown ale might be a bit young but we'll see how I go.

Andrew

If your lucky I might bring some for you to try tomorrow.I promise not to poison you.Hahahaha

Back