2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,
Is it too late for me to be sticking a rhizome in the ground now? I am in Ballarat, Vic. We have only just had our first taste of spring today but will guarantee a return to cold and horrid conditions for another month or so.

There are some available on ebay, I have a couple of good spots ready but only kind of prepared them off the top of my head after a big day in the vegie patches. (the snow peas made me think of it).

I don't mind sticking it in the ground now knowing that it will grow but won't significantly produce anything for another few seasons...or should I hold off until mid winter '11?

Advice from actual growers would be appreciated as I have already googled the pants off this one.

Off topic: anyone prepared to sell me some cuttings? I will drive as far as western suburbs of Melbourne or Geelong for them...

Back on topic: Anyway, advice from growers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If i am lucky enough and get some from Boston i will be putting them in,i live in the West(Melbourne)and my prides started to shoot in July but where under 20cm of mulch/straw on a protected Nth facing wall.Could go and have a root around and see if there is anything that i could cut for you?Just pm me as i am home bound today.

The sooner you get them planted the quicker they give you flowers :p .
I think it was newguy's that got snowed on and were still going.

...so just buy them, stick them in and be optimistic? $40 is a lot of money unless you are spending it on your hobby hee hee.... OK , I might just buy them, stick them in and see what happens...

Check post #255. If you are still keen send me a PM.

Hello all,
Is it too late for me to be sticking a rhizome in the ground now? I am in Ballarat, Vic. We have only just had our first taste of spring today but will guarantee a return to cold and horrid conditions for another month or so.

There are some available on ebay, I have a couple of good spots ready but only kind of prepared them off the top of my head after a big day in the vegie patches. (the snow peas made me think of it).

I don't mind sticking it in the ground now knowing that it will grow but won't significantly produce anything for another few seasons...or should I hold off until mid winter '11?

Advice from actual growers would be appreciated as I have already googled the pants off this one.

Off topic: anyone prepared to sell me some cuttings? I will drive as far as western suburbs of Melbourne or Geelong for them...

Back on topic: Anyway, advice from growers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Really slow growing hallertau hops. THe pic on the left has sprouted two shoots, the new one is the taller thing. The pic on the right was much slower to get started but is shooting up very fast.

L1010273.JPGL1010274.JPG

Mine aren't doing anything yet. Had them planted for a few weeks now. Maybe gotta find a more sunny spot.

Finally have my cascade and chinook ones peeking through for a look. The hallertau one is still not doing anything.

...so just buy them, stick them in and be optimistic? $40 is a lot of money unless you are spending it on your hobby hee hee.... OK , I might just buy them, stick them in and see what happens...
I received some zomes about 20 days ago, planted in pots with organic mix
and the longest shoot is nearly up to a foot now.

If you don't do it now, you'll have to wait till next season - from the brief amount
of reading I've done, it sounds zomes will send up shoots for some while during
the start of a season so it's probably not too late yet to do something asap.

Might cost but more but growing in pots and good soil might be a good idea to
give them a good chance to grow healthily and get established. Could move them
around to best/handy spot - don't forget to water (but don't over-water).

Tom.

View attachment 41086

21.6 centimeters per day? I bet you also claim to have an 18 inch penis :ph34r:

17.5" - I'm not one to blow my own horn though.

Actually I have seen somewhere that "a foot a day" hop growth has been thrown around - but multiplying by 24 isn't really logical since they grow slower at night, especially if cold.

Coming up strong, 11 shoots on top and 3 coming out horizontally just poked out the side of the mound. ^_^
hop.jpg

Some (Chinook, the weed that it is)
100927_chinook.jpg

(and Golding)
100927_golding.jpg

but not all (Nugget)
100927_nugget.jpg

of my hops have sprouted nicely.
Luckily it started raining today, because I was surprised how dry the ground was, but most of the companion plants have also survived the first few weeks.

However the grass is also growing so it's hard to tell the hops are even there:
100927_hops.jpg

The 2.8m long gal-pipes had an insert welded that so that we can slide another pole over the top, then they'll make the uprights for the trellis:
100927_poles.jpg

I dug a few post-holes today, but if hopefully we'll get the mechanical-digger to do the rest.

I have planted a hallertau, cascade, cluster, por and chinook.
Originally the hallertau, cascade and por took off but they stopped at around 30cm tall.
The chinook however is about 2m tall and i just discovered another 1m shoot about a metre from where i planted it. Looks like i'll be making alot of lcpa in a few months!!!
I don't know why the chinook is going so well and the other aren't, the soil is all the same. The only difference that i can think of is that the chinook got a few weeks in the fridge whereas the others didn't. Originally the chinook rhizome looked terrible, i didn't thin it was going to live at all. I found another two chinooks in the fridge that i had forgotten about and planted them in some potting mix, one has shot and the other hasn't. Maybe chinook can deal with subtropical climates?

I'm getting the soil tested (for freeeee) because i think the soil i used has pH problems. Might add some dolomite tmo to try and correct it. Would be so awesome to have free hops!

Will try put some photos up in the next few days

I have planted a hallertau, cascade, cluster, por and chinook.

Same situation here ekul -
my cascade shot about a month ago to around 50 cms - but then no action since!

where abouts in the world are you?!

Keep in mind that each variety will differ in growth behaviour, every year my Tardiff de bourgogne starts early (more shoots than I can count currently!) while the Hersbrucker 2m away hardly moves, then it suddenly takes off and out grows the Tardif.

A Chinook I planted last year has also hardly crept above ground which doesn't surprise me as most people I have read say that they are a late starter but a vigorous grower when they get going.

If your planting rhizomes for the first time alot will depend on when you planted them and that root growth is likely to be far more important early on.

Our spring here in Adelaide has been quite cool as well compared to recent years so they tend to grow in fits and starts until the consistent warm weather arrives.

Cheers,
BB

I am like a mother hen, checking the hops every morning and evening... (and probably everytime I walk past them)

Seems like there can be growth variability amongst shoots on the same zome.

SWMBO did not believe me that the POR was growing quickly so I measured it and wrote the number on the fence post. Maybe she was just giving me shit because I Check them, I had better make that -stand around admiring them, so often. 5cm yesterday and 2cm last night and it was only 17 degrees yesterday and down to bloody 10 degrees last night! Funny thing is that it is only the one POR shoot that is taking off, the other POR shoots are just standing around.

Hello all,
Is it too late for me to be sticking a rhizome in the ground now?

Ideally they should be in the ground by late winter, however IMHO it's never too late to plant rhizomes (within reason), as the first year is really about establishing its root system. Almost as much growth happens under-ground as above (you should see the root-ball after just one year!).

So, if you plant now (or even into later Spring) you may not get much of a crop in your first year, however you are still giving them most of the growing season to establish their roots, so that the following year you can expect a decent crop, or divide your rhizomes for a bigger farm.

Also, my advise is to get them in the ground if you can - they outgrow even the largest pots very quickly.
Most of mine had root-balls that filled 50Ltr pots, and 1-inch tap roots out the drain hole - and they were all first-year plants!

Great fun growing hops.
SWMBO rolls her eyes with all the time I spent "nurturing" my precious...

Sam what strings are you using there, and do they last the whole season without perishing or rotting? Ive set up a system of galavanised wiring but I may duplicate it with string as well, as the bines apparently prefer string according to the Peterbaugh Farms video.

Sam what strings are you using there, and do they last the whole season without perishing or rotting? Ive set up a system of galavanised wiring but I may duplicate it with string as well, as the bines apparently prefer string according to the Peterbaugh Farms video.

We har uuze da cookanut twaaaaain in dat dere Waaaaahshintin! BOY, Ah Says BOY - go git Pa's gun, boy!

Did you see the harvest videos? I can only imagine what that Cascade drying warehouse smelt like... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

It's sisal twine. Picked it up from the hardware store.

This is its second season, I just applied a bit more tension, the twine still seems good. Hope so anyway!

It's nice and rough, plenty of texture for the bines to grab.

im using nylon 3 mm twine that i acquired, its like the blind cord. works fine for my.

Latest posts

Back