2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JestersDarts

I (heart) Darts
Reaction score
G'Day -

Searched for a 2010 thread, there was none, so I thought I'd start one off with a few snaps of my cascade coming up strong
cascade_16_08_10.jpeg
1cascade_16_08_10.jpeg
Still in glass because I still think jack frost is about..

JD

And hallertau
Was a lot sleepier than the cascade, but coming up now
hallertau_16_08_10.jpeg

I bought them from a bloke on ebay - if youre here around, I'm the bloke who complained that you sent them to the wrong address.. no harm done..
These are the results!

Chinook, Cascade, Wurtemberger, Perle, POR here.

But nothing poking it's head out here as yet this season, will keep you all posted.

Screwy

Planted my first rhizomes yesterday with 2 Cascade and one POR, they appear to be of a decent size with plenty of shoots.

I will have them on the shed walls with height to grow of about 4 meters.
I'm on the Victorian SW coast where shit just grows, so this should be good.

Still have to set up a trellis, which will be a fan type set up of thin rope from each rhizome to 3 or so rafters on the shed.

P1020530.JPG

P1020527.JPG

No sign of my wee Cluster plant yet. There's a huge long fenceline in full sun most of the day, so I'll espalier the shoots along wires. The other side of the fence is a laneway so no problems with the neighbours.

hop_plantation_1__Medium_.jpg
hop_plantation_2__Medium_.jpg

Soil on Bribie Island is almost pure sand so I dug in a bag of potting mix and a good dose of NKP slow release.

Soil on Bribie Island is almost pure sand so I dug in a bag of potting mix and a good dose of NKP slow release.

I'm 3 blocks from the beach so it's pure sand here too. I've decided to grow it up a Bangalow Palm - let it go as high as it wants. The palm's fronds are really thin and high, so they won't shade it really at all. Just need to run a string or two up the north side of the trunk with some staples or something. Should get full sun from 5am to 6pm all summer ... probably not enough though, but we'll see.

IMG_1622.jpg

My Chinook rhizome had more than 10 shoots coming out all over (thanks Dr. Smurto!) and has been in the fridge for months now. I buried it about 5cm under with the shoots facing up (sort of - they were on both sides, but one side more than the other). Have been watering lightly daily.

It's in a 40L pot ($11 from Bunnies). I'll set up a drip feeder soon because I suck at remembering to water.

i remembered after about a month and a half after moving that i'd left the 'dug up' rhizome in the fridge in now dry news paper, rhizome was fairly woody but i plated it anyway, will see what happens, but not expecting anything.

Spent late last week transplanting my hops from pots (same as NickJD's) into the ground. Dug out a garden bed along the front of the house, it has a north-westerly aspect, and gets sun from mid morning until mid afternoon. Found that at my previous house, where the plants were in the sun all day, they got quite badly burnt and wilted during the heat of summer.

No hops at all last year (first year plants), but hoping for a reasonable crop this year.

Trellis.jpg
L-R: POR, Tettnang (3 small rhizomes in same hole), Tettnang (one large rhizome), Chinook. Only the Chinook has shown no movement as yet

View attachment 40180
POR Rhizome - this is the biggest of the four at the moment

Cheers

Hi all,

Need some advise.....

My Sazz is really sleepy! :unsure: ! Its only now that is 15mm above ground is this late for this time in the year or normal. I have looked after it, water regulaly and chicken sh** it every 2- 3 weeeks. Sun factor is now good, as days are getting longer and more sun.

Can any one help??

Cheers,

Don't stress mate, from what I understand you should see some growth shortly, as the traditional time for hop plants to start sprouting is late August/early September. If you have no movement by then, then you may need to worry. All I'd be checking is wether your plants have enough drainage, as my first attempt at growing a couple of years ago resulted in a rotted rhizome from over watering in the winter. Also, be careful with the fertiliser as you can badly burn the plants if you apply too much too often.

Just for the record, three of my plants are about 2-3cm above ground, and my Chinook has the purple shoots, but no foliage at all. Again, don't stress!

Cheers

Don't stress mate, from what I understand you should see some growth shortly, as the traditional time for hop plants to start sprouting is late August/early September. If you have no movement by then, then you may need to worry. All I'd be checking is wether your plants have enough drainage, as my first attempt at growing a couple of years ago resulted in a rotted rhizome from over watering in the winter. Also, be careful with the fertiliser as you can badly burn the plants if you apply too much too often.

Just for the record, three of my plants are about 2-3cm above ground, and my Chinook has the purple shoots, but no foliage at all. Again, don't stress!

Cheers

Thanks NickB - That does put my mind at ease, as from what you have discribed - purple shoots & no foliage is exactly what i've got!

Cheers,

Late August! Better get planting!

Anyone else got any pics of their plantings or good info on growing for a first time hop grower?

My Sazz is really sleepy! :unsure: ! Its only now that is 15mm above ground is this late for this time in the year or normal. I have looked after it, water regulaly and chicken sh** it every 2- 3 weeeks. Sun factor is now good, as days are getting longer and more sun.

Can any one help??
Don't stress, mine are not even in the ground yet. :)
Most 'commercial' hop growers will 'prune' back all the early growth in early spring, that allows for more vigerous later shoots (and also for them to harvest all at one time). By letting shoots grow at various stages (as most home growers do) the crop tends to be spread out over some time (and is why some people suggest they get multiple crops from their plants).
Late August! Better get planting!

Anyone else got any pics of their plantings or good info on growing for a first time hop grower?
Check last years thread, there is lots of info there, there is also the AHB DIY Hop article here and the Yahoo Hop growing group. Various websites have lots of info and this booklet might be useful too:
View attachment HopsManual.pdf

man, since mine got planted just after the xmas in july swap, its done nothing but bucket down. Had close to 150mm in the last three weeks. My poor 'zomes and fruit trees have been given snorkels and I'm just hoping they dry out soon as the ground is VERY wet where they are planted. Even been busy with the mattock cutting drainage in to get the water away from the roots.

My hops are not in the ground yet, so very wet and still some risk of a frost.
So this is the extent of my 'Hop Plantation' so far, hop Companion Plants growing (from seeds) in my backyard under glass:
plantedtanks.jpg

plantedtanks1.jpg

Calendula (Pot Marigolds) (center round pots), Coriander & Dill (grass like stuff in square tray), Nasturtium (purple pots on right), Tansy, Yarrow, Hyssop (small not growing much stuff in square trays).

Took a few more snaps of my hops as I've planted them out in the garden, on mounds with chook poo turned in, and run two training twines up for each of them up about 4m high. Hopefully theyre in a good sunny position.

Still in glass, doing a good job of keeping them from the frost..

Cascade
cascade_22_06_10.JPG

Hallertau
hallertau_22_06_10.JPG

Buddies :)
hops_on_twine_22_06_10.JPG

yesterday i ripped my rhizomes out of the pots to see how they have developed. chinook are two seasons old and POR one season (i have a cluster at my folks place i might check on the weekend.)

Wow, the POR is HUUUUGE after one season and it gave me around 100g of wet cones.

one of my chinooks is a dwarf and one is the size of the POR. The dwarf is about half the size of the POR.

Kind of makes sense as the only one of the chinooks thats given flowers has been the one thats nice and big. i wonder why one of them has been stunted with gwwoth as i feed them all at the same times, all have had the same potting mix/soil combo and all get fertilised with the same product at the same times.

They are all also in the same position as eachother as well. Quite interesting to say the least. either way, they all have heaps of buds ready to kickoff so they have been loosened from the soil and repotted as one of the chinooks was starting to rootball. i will get them some biggeer pots and transfer asap so it doesnt happen permanently.

Took a few more snaps of my hops as I've planted them out in the garden, on mounds with chook poo turned in, and run two training twines up for each of them up about 4m high. Hopefully theyre in a good sunny position.

Still in glass, doing a good job of keeping them from the frost..

Where in Adelaide are you JD?

Checked mine of the weekend and they are learning. 1st season one of them popped his head up in August and froze solid - didnt grow at all for the next 3 months! Last year they waited until after the frosts. Last frost up here in the hills is late September, early October so they should be burrowed under the horse manure till then.

That gives me a few more months to talk about how i am going to build a trellis this year and then grumble through spring/summer whilst training them up the fence. :rolleyes: :lol:

Where in Adelaide are you JD?

The Hops are planted at the family's farm in Renmark, near the river, so long frosts in winter, and also scorching dry heat in summer - so we'll see how they go. I'm building my brew rig in Renmark, and plan to brew up there, and bring cubes back to Adelaide to ferment and then... what's the technical term for the process after that stage?? oh yeah...

Drink and be merry :)

JD

Back