2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so delicate and innocent. I remember when mine was like that hehehe.

Have changed my 'trellis' from 3m wooden sticks to about 8m 'string' all the way up the house. POR going strong, and chinook following in the background. That side of the house is east facing, meaning they only get the morning sun. I guess that's why they're shooting up so quickly without being really bushy.

HOPS_SEPT.jpg

HOPS_SEP.jpg

Wow they are looking totally hoppy, Florian :icon_cheers:

Buddy and I wired up the fence yesterday, I'm espaliering mine with three leaders left and three leaders right.

hoptrellis1Large.jpg

hoptrellis2Large.jpg

Here's my Cascade, going mental after planting about 4 weeks ago... now I just need to hook up something for it to climb in a hurry!

IMG_0280.JPG

I planted my Willamette rhizome a month or 2 ago, it hasn't put many leaves out yet like the above, but i have 11 shoots appear so far @_@

Chinook.jpg

I just planted my chinook!!!. Filled the pot with potting mix, planted 6" deep, and hit it with some liquid fertiliser. Can't wait, hope it grows!!

You can see where its headed too!

Ah, too deep, cheers. I might move some soil away from the top of it.

so delicate and innocent. I remember when mine was like that hehehe.
So how big would they get here in Brisbane, in a pot similar to yours,(from previous posts) , in the first season?
They don't seem to do so well here it seems as they do farther South.
Daz

So how big would they get here in Brisbane, in a pot similar to yours,(from previous posts) , in the first season?
Daz

Mine aren't doing anything yet. Had them planted for a few weeks now. Maybe gotta find a more sunny spot.

I just measured my fastest bine - it's doing 9mm per hour. These things are nuts.

IMG_1831.jpg

Daz

Umm did you see my post??? The answer is don't under estimate the growth these guys can put on...

Anyone know if "Worm Juice" and or "Worm Castings" are a viable substitute for blood and bone ?

I know they are good fertilisers... but not sure what their usual make up is.

Duck

think i planted mine a bit deep. I put them in a pot about 3 weeks ago and still have not seen a thing. there probably like 6" deep.

will they eventually come through? or should i take some soil off them?

CRITTERS!!!
My POR is being eaten by something. Has anyone seens this before?
POR_02.JPG
Looking under the leaf there were some odd little white bugs which I brushed off. An hour later one had returned.
POR_01.JPG
What are these little f**kers and how do I get rid of them?

Everything I had read suggested training bines onto lines clockwise. Since most texts on the subject are written in the northern hemisphere, I was wondering if down here they'd twirl anti-clockwise...
Haller.JPG
...I'm wondering no more.

CRITTERS!!!
My POR is being eaten by something. Has anyone seens this before?
View attachment 41026
Looking under the leaf there were some odd little white bugs which I brushed off. An hour later one had returned.
View attachment 41027
What are these little f**kers and how do I get rid of them?

Everything I had read suggested training bines onto lines clockwise. Since most texts on the subject are written in the northern hemisphere, I was wondering if down here they'd twirl anti-clockwise...
View attachment 41028
...I'm wondering no more.

Is it white cabbage moth larvae?

Anyone know if "Worm Juice" and or "Worm Castings" are a viable substitute for blood and bone ?

I know they are good fertilisers... but not sure what their usual make up is.
Worms do not actually produce any nutrients themselves, they just 'recycle' and convert whatever you feed them (household vegie scraps I guess) into a format that is more easily used by your plants.
So I'd suggest using them in addition to blood and bone (my local Coles has all gardening fertilizer stuff at 1/2 price just now).
think i planted mine a bit deep. I put them in a pot about 3 weeks ago and still have not seen a thing. there probably like 6" deep.

will they eventually come through? or should i take some soil off them?
They should come through, but usually you'd plant them about 1-2inches deep, so it would not hurt to carefully scrape some dirt off the top (just don't damage the shoots that are probably coming up).

Umm did you see my post??? The answer is don't under estimate the growth these guys can put on...

Arr... Hope so, my interest was mainly with such a vigorous growth, can a pot supply the food for them for a full season and what to expect given the small amount of soil.
Mine were/are at a small leaf stage like a ground cover plant. Not much happening for a few weeks now.
Came home this arvo. Tendril like growth reaching up about two inches and another shoot popping out of the soil.
Ooh.. I'm getting excited now.
Daz

IMG_8308.JPG

Took this yesterday. My Mt Hood rhizome that's been in the longest. There are 4 others of which 3 have got shoots. One is yet to come up and say hello. I can't get over just how dodgy they look :ph34r:

Back