2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, my POR is starting to get some browning on the edges of the leaves.

This guy shot off well about a month ago but has remained about the same size since and has now started looking a little sick.

Any ideas? They get plenty of water.

IMAG0051.jpg

Pruning does help - I always keep my tomatos to two runners and it increases tomato yield for sure - more energy goes into the fruit rather than sprouting leafy green crap.

Tomatoes aren't hops though, I could say that my unkempt and unpruned tomatoe plants yeilded about 4-6x more than my pruned and wellkempt tomatoes.

You would think the more leaves the hop plant has (and other plants in general), the more energy it can absorb and store in the rhizome, and use for the hop growing energy spurt it needs.

I'm pretty sure the commercial American hop growers use large harvester trucks that come along the lines and automatically cut the bines off and stack them up, and its more efficient to have fewer bines per plant.

Wanna be careful a gust of wind doesn't blow them over into the pool... When in bloom and full height, may be a little top heavy??

I hear the hop plants can become quite heavy?!

Bah, I'm a noob at all of this too. Who knows, will probably be fine! :icon_cheers:

Tyler

You can't see very well (kind of on the right on side of the pic) but there's a line running along the top of the trellii (pretty sure that's not a real word but I'm running with it) with a tensioning knot to keep the things upright. It runs from part of an old pool fence which now just keeps the garden in line to the pergola with 2 'U' nails along the top of each trellis to keep them from moving or spinning in the wind.

Thanks for the concern :icon_cheers:
Mitch

Hey guys, my POR is starting to get some browning on the edges of the leaves.

This guy shot off well about a month ago but has remained about the same size since and has now started looking a little sick.

Any ideas? They get plenty of water.

I had this problem with some other plants last year... The problem with mine was that there was a tree with acidic leaves blowing over and making the soil acidic, stunting the growth. My problem tree was a pine but I think a lot of fruit trees cause the same problem. If you're finding leaves of any tree settling around your hops I'd just move them.

Could also be from over-watering or just from the rain if you don't have proper drainage.

I had this problem with some other plants last year... The problem with mine was that there was a tree with acidic leaves blowing over and making the soil acidic, stunting the growth. My problem tree was a pine but I think a lot of fruit trees cause the same problem. If you're finding leaves of any tree settling around your hops I'd just move them.

Could also be from over-watering or just from the rain if you don't have proper drainage.

Yeah I just realised that that plant is the only one to be using an older batch of potting mix, all the others have fresh 2010 potting mix.

So it's likely to be a soil issue, now I just need to figure out what the issue might be!

1st September

Spring Day 1 -

Notice first growth popping out of soil of my very first hop plant. (Chinook)

HopGrowth1.jpg

Yeah I just realised that that plant is the only one to be using an older batch of potting mix, all the others have fresh 2010 potting mix.

So it's likely to be a soil issue, now I just need to figure out what the issue might be!

It's probably not even a problem. There's only a little bit of brown on one leaf from what I can see, and it probably appears to have stalled because now that it has a decent amount of leaves to grab sun light it's focusing on growing some roots.

Yes there is one real bad one, but if you look closely (not sure if its clear in the pic tho) they are all getting a little burnt off on the edges.

Ah well.

I must admit they don't look very green but that could just be the photo.

If it's in a pot I'd try repotting into larger pot with fresh potting mix and a good dose of slow release NKP fertiliser.

My Rhizomes arrived today, I will plant on saturday. I got Saaz and Cascade. Can't wait to get them growing!

That's funny, I'm going to be planting a Saaz and a Cascade this Saturday too!
I just put in a Saaz, a Cascade & a Kent Goldings. That's a good start on a lot of my american, european and brit favourites right there.

But i had to build my wife this you-beaut raised garden bed with wooden seating all around the top before i could get them in.

If it's in a pot I'd try repotting into larger pot with fresh potting mix and a good dose of slow release NKP fertiliser.

done.... now can anyone suggest a good NPK fert to use, i saw some all rounder NPK at the garden shop but i have bags of dynamic lifter - is this just as good?

done.... now can anyone suggest a good NPK fert to use, i saw some all rounder NPK at the garden shop but i have bags of dynamic lifter - is this just as good?
How can you go wrong with dynamic lifter?

These hops are tough little bastards - The first hop to shoot has been pulled out of the ground twice now by kids (a week apart) and then dug up by a dog, and each time I replant and water it in (noting with sadness all the damage to the new shoots) but it continues to grow.

How can you go wrong with dynamic lifter?

These hops are tough little bastards - The first hop to shoot has been pulled out of the ground twice now by kids (a week apart) and then dug up by a dog, and each time I replant and water it in (noting with sadness all the damage to the new shoots) but it continues to grow.

The planting instructions I received with my hops do not recommend dynamic lifter because it raises the ph of the soil. Blood & Bone was the recommended fertiliser to lower ph.

Hops prefer a mildly acidic soil with a ph of 6.0 - 6.3, so it would be wise to check your soil's ph first.

Ben

Autumn in the northern hemisphere - time to harvest!

DSC00014__Custom_.JPG

A panoramic shot of about half my backyard. From L-R, Centennial, Willamette, then my Cascade is hiding by the corner of the house, and a Mt Hood is growing up the backside of the trellis and up the string toward the Willamette. The Mt Hood's aroma is to die for, the Willamette is pretty good, as is the Cascade, but the Centennial isn't nearly as aromatic as last year.

DSC00016__Large_.JPG

A bit better shot of the Centennial and Willamette to give you a better idea of the scale of these beasts.

DSC00011__Large_.JPG

My Fuggle on the left and Hallertauer on the right. I just finished harvesting the Hallertauer earlier today. Aroma was fantastic! :icon_drool2:

I also have a Sterling, Golding, and another Centennial but they're not nearly as impressive as these. Still, not bad for their 2nd year!

After wondering why I had roots coming up to the surface, hitting the sunlight and shriveling up - and thinking this Chinook had a broken gravitropic chip inplant by Aliens or somethink, I've finally realised why.

Hops are MENTAL.

The rhizome has completely owned the pot. I've got two shoots that have come up on complete opposite sides of the pot (50cm apart). Mainly, it looks like because they had nowhere else to go but up. If it was in the soil I'd say there would be shoots nearly a meter from the rhizome. This stuff makes bamboo seem non-invasive.

One side.

IMG_1755.jpg

Other side.

IMG_1756.jpg

I just got a tub of Brunnings (not Bunnings, BRRRunnings) slow release NKP from ALDI on special the other week, and drizzled some around in a circle and then scuffed up the potting mix and watered. Although the rhizome is in the ground I used a whole bag of potting mix in the pit as Bribie soil is just greasy sand that's hard to wet.

Newguy, who needs roses round the cottage door when you can have hops ? :icon_cheers:

Back