• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

200l Stainless Drums

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember a couple of years ago, someone was e-baying a small commercial brewery based around 200L drums. It was for a brewpub I think.

IIRC it was an all electric system and used 5000W over the side low density immersion heaters. Not beyond the home constructor. I might be wrong though

I think maybe it was an NNL system ??

I'm in if they are $250 each? Hell put me in for 2, wait 3! No make that 2. 1 is a 200lt HLT, cut one in half for 100lt Tun and 100lt boiler, $500 plus fittings and an instant brewery. Woohoo!

There goes my hope of getting one <_<

Dont worry chappo, Im still here - restricted access to the site - damn work internet blocking things.

The guy who has them is hopefully getting some pics and dimensions to me today. As for price, he was hinting at around $200, or a bit under. Not sure if this is a good price or not, cheaper than the last post on the link, or how many will be interested still. I will try and talk him down a bit on the price

Dont worry chappo, Im still here - restricted access to the site - damn work internet blocking things.

The guy who has them is hopefully getting some pics and dimensions to me today. As for price, he was hinting at around $200, or a bit under. Not sure if this is a good price or not, cheaper than the last post on the link, or how many will be interested still. I will try and talk him down a bit on the price

Dave you just made a new best friend! Me! :D

Mate when you have your final plan together put me down for 2 of them OK! And don't let Batz at em he has enough brewing gear...hehehehe! ;)

OK guys, sorry it took a while. I had trouble contactimg the guy with the drums, but here are the details, and some pics.

They are approx 850mm high, and 600mm diameter. I am unsure what grade they are, but they have been used for storage, with the contents (which are injestables) held in large plastic bags. The lids are the clamp on ones, but clamps are not supplied. Some of the lids have the rubber seal, although not sure how many. Drums are as is, as a few of them have dints which would bash out.

Check out the pics. Pick up is from Sydney - or organise own courier. Price - $180 each, which I guess isnt too bad, and there is about a dozen of them. Let me know .

P1010788.JPG

P1010787.JPG

Somewhere on the drums must be a stamp to signify the quality of the stainless steel otherwise there is no way of knowing what your buying here. It should have 304, 305 or 316 on it somewhere? I am not 100% sure but I think food stuffs for human consumption can only be stored in 304 or 305 which is good for us brewers, 316 is marine grade. Otherwise the alloy is unknow and could have the wrong qualities for the purpose of brewing. Also if you plan attach/weld anything to them in the future it's handy to know because weld like like materials is the norm yes?

Whereabouts in Sydney would pickup be from?

I am not 100% sure but I think food stuffs for human consumption can only be stored in 304 or 305 which is good for us brewers, 316 is marine grade. Otherwise the alloy is unknow and could have the wrong qualities for the purpose of brewing. Also if you plan attach/weld anything to them in the future it's handy to know because weld like like materials is the norm yes?

We receive liquid concentrate in normal steel drums that also have the plastic liner. So in part, the drums don't need to be food grade unless of course the contents will physically come in contact with the drum. That said the drums look good and the prcie is reasonable if you can pick up. I sold a SS drum before xmas. Basically gave it away at $135. Mine also did not have the removable lid which is good IMHO. With the removable lid you would have to weld it in place if you wanted to make two pots out of it.

BYB

I have had a few pm's about the drums, but am holding off until I can get a grade, dont want anyone to get something they werent expecting. Hopefully I will be able to get that shortly

I have several Reem SS 205 L drums (these look just look them) they are all 305, food grade.

The ones on the pallet i think ar closed head drums, not like the open head in the forground.

Mark

er- try 304, yes they are very fat fingers.

sorry

MHB

I'll take 2.

Where will pickup be from when you know the grade of stainless?

I have been told that the drums are 301 grade. It has a rheem stamp on it, but no grade that he could see. He chucked a magnet on and it didnt stick, which he said was therefore 301 grade.

As for thickness, he didnt know, or have a way of measuring accurately.

So, at $180 is anyone still interested in me getting some for them?

Oh, forgot to add. Pick up is from the pennant hills area, or sutherland shire. in sydney

I have been told that the drums are 301 grade. It has a rheem stamp on it, but no grade that he could see. He chucked a magnet on and it didnt stick, which he said was therefore 301 grade.

As for thickness, he didnt know, or have a way of measuring accurately.

So, at $180 is anyone still interested in me getting some for them?

Excellent! 301 grade is good for brewing apparently. A down side maybe for some is that welds will require to be anealed (hard if you don't have an oxy/ace set) and it is a more softer material so dings are easier but also easier to bash out with out tearing the material. Anyone who wants to read up on 301 grade ss see here http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=960

PM sent Dave

Back