• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

200l Stainless Drums

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chappo,

Pretty sure they'll be the same as the ones we have in the back of the store here if you want to take a look.
Mine aren't for sale though B)

cheers ross

Chappo,

Pretty sure they'll be the same as the ones we have in the back of the store here if you want to take a look.

cheers ross

What? Your not going to sell me something? What's tha good of ya then? :lol:

Ross: Cheers I have a look on Saturday. BTW what are you using them for?

What? Your not going to sell me something? What's tha good of ya then? :lol:

Ross: Cheers I have a look on Saturday. BTW what are you using them for?

To store rice gulls at the moment....but for a pending brewery.

cheers Ross

Excellent! 301 grade is good for brewing apparently. A down side maybe for some is that welds will require to be anealed (hard if you don't have an oxy/ace set) and it is a more softer material so dings are easier but also easier to bash out with out tearing the material. Anyone who wants to read up on 301 grade ss see here http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=960

PM sent Dave

Actually, an oxy set would be the worst possible thing you could attack this with, as the oxygen combined with the heat would almost certainly cause surface oxidisation, preventing the chromium oxide surface from reforming (which is what prevents rust from forming on stainless - stainless being non-rustable is a complete myth as it's the chromium oxide surface that forms on the surface of the material that the rust can't form on), causing that area to be a constant source of rust............allowing the weld to cool down naturally would be all that would be required other than for the weld to be completed under shielding gas as per normal.

Still not sure why you'd want to anneal the weld anyway Chappo - sounds to me like you may have a small case of being an "internexpert"..:D .I know the little web link you've put on there refers to annealing the welds, but that's un-necessary in the context of our brewing use and refers more to structural uses, ie: aircraft manufacture.......for what we would be doing with it, using argon shielding gas while welding and pickling the weld with pickling paste would be more than satisfactory.
For the record, 300 grade stainless (316, 316L, 304, 302, 301 grades) are all non-magnetic, as is what is commonly known in older terms as 18/10 (but usually is 316 grade). Although these grades have pretty much the same physical properties with small differences in machinability (ie 316 vs 316L) - the main difference in these grades is corrosion resistance due to higher levels of chromium and nickle, with molybdenum in 316 grade to increase salt resistance for marine applications. 400 grades stainless as far as I'm aware has some minor magnetic properties due to nickle not being used or being used in much lower proportions in the alloy, but I've never seen any.......take a piece of stainless to a scrap yard some time.......they'll put a magnet on it - if it sticks, it's not stainless as far as they're concerned........

All of that aside though, $180 is a damn good price for one of these drums, good deal Dave.

Agreed D I think what I was refering to was a slower rate of cooling but didn't come out that way. Argon shielding would be the optimum. I have agron, and several other types, in my shed which I guess not many joe blows would. As for my little reference link I thought it would be in plain enough english for some to understand. But hey who I am I to argue with an expert.

:lol:...I'm not an expert mate, I just happen to have been asked about different grades and properties of them quite a bit :) Wasn't trying to rain on your parade, was just poking a little bit of fun :D Can't help it sometimes ... You're keen and helpful, can't fault you for that :)

All good MrD none taken :icon_cheers: . Unfortunately I think my point was to say 301 is fine for our application. I feel some ppl get 305 grade s/s stuck in their head as the only metal/medium that can and or should be used with food stuffs which ain't neccessarily so, no? Metalurgy and welding has about twice as much semantics as brewing :lol: .

Chappo,

cheers ross

Nope...not the same...yours are seemless Ross...those ones have a folded seam..

Wanna buy some more... :lol:

After heaps of interest, which whittled away to none, I am able to get my hands on some of these drums again. Just thought id see if anyone wants any this time..

They are the same as last time (so Ive recycled the pics). I am told they are 301 grade, and 850 x 600mm with lids with a rubber seal. Pickup is from Sydney (Hills district or sutho shire) - or I may be able to deliver for a bottle of your finest, depending on location.

They are again $180, and there are about 15 of them. I have about a week to say if any are wanted before they head to the scrap yard. PM if interested

View attachment drum_3.bmp

Probably why he is offering them for sale here first...

Back