2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My setup for this year.

gallery_1451_487_20224.jpg

There is a stainless cable across the top that runs over a pully and down to a tensioner bloted to the sleeper on the left hand side. The poles have a little flex though it seems to help keep the cable nice a taught.

gallery_1451_487_71886.jpg

Pride of Ringwood
gallery_1451_487_51169.jpg

The POR took off fast but has not grown much this week.

Chinook
gallery_1451_487_5306.jpg

Fast catching the POR even though it started 2 weeks later.

Hallertauer
gallery_1451_487_101687.jpg

Just starting to get going. Rhizome was alot smaller than the others.

Love the setup Benny, thats pretty much what i am looking at doing.

Was is the rope/wire that runs down to the ground for the hops to climb up?

Love the setup Benny, thats pretty much what i am looking at doing.

Was is the rope/wire that runs down to the ground for the hops to climb up?

Cheers Smurto, I hope it fills to a solid wall of hops!

It's Sisal twine that I got from bunnings. I havent used it before however the "Small Scale & Organic Hops Production" book has reference to it and says that it works quite well as long as you dont bury it as it is biodegradable and will rot.

First yr columbus with 6 shoots. The tallest is about 40 cm and within 24 hrs of hooking up the string it has wrapped around twice... fast growing/moving little buggers :p

IMG_3319.JPG

I was going to use a poly pipe arch (3.3 meter lenght 50mm Poly pipe wedged on 2 x 6ft star iron pickerts times 4 along the west side of the house) but ran out of poly pipe halfway through :( . The bloody hop shoot has shrivelled up too - I'd better repot the bugger with some fresh soil.

Killer stuff Benny! You will definitely reap something.

My city chinook + some tiny POR plants are taking off here in the recent warm. The speed is scary considering how tiny the twig was.

My Chinook has been in the pot for 2 1/2 weeks, nothing yet :( . Hopefully she comes out to play soon.

Yay, I have a sprout. Bloody quick buggers aren't they, yesterday morning there was nothing, now I have a sprout about 5cm long. looks like I'll be building something for it to climb up this weekend before it gets too big.

note to self must plant chinook zomes this weekend.

Upgraded trellis system this year. POR has jumped out of the ground, other hops are Tettnang and Goldings. For both of these, I have already had to start pinching off the excess shoots, probably 20 pinched off the Goldings already.

Trellis is now about 18 feet tall, plenty of grow room! Each of my five hops now has this extended pole system. Each cross beam has a loop at the end, onto which I shall hang a string via a hook. To harvest I should be able to just unhook it and then lay the bine on the ground to harvest. Hmmm......"should".

This idea come from the hop growing guide.

Hops2009POR.jpg

Hops2009POR2.jpg

Hops2009Trellis.jpg

Hops2009Goldings.jpg

Hops2009Tettnang.jpg

Come back home after 4 weeks holiday to find encouraging signs of things to come for 2009. This is the second year since planting this Tettnang rhizome and the shoots are noticeably more robust in appearance than the previous year.

hop2009.JPG

Fingers crossed :unsure:

Tettnanger has sprouted two shoots. Still waiting on any sign of activity from my chinook.

Spent grain makes good mulch.

Chinook usually shoots late, and then....kaboom....the most vigorous of them all!!!

Chinook usually shoots late, and then....kaboom....the most vigorous of them all!!!

I put in 3 cascade, 1 goldings and a hersbrucker rhizome a week ago - still understandably no activity from them. A shoot from last year's chinook has just broken the surface. (May have done so sooner if I hadn't shoveled a pile of compost on top of it last Friday.) Looking forward to cones this year, hopefully...

My chinook are beginning to sprout. the wired thing is the sprouts are eggplant purple! WTF?!?!

My chinook are beginning to sprout. the wired thing is the sprouts are eggplant purple! WTF?!?!

That is normal.

My (purple stemmed) chinook is starting to go off, and is looking for my non-existent trellis.

Potted my Por, Tett and Hallertau 2 weeks ago and now have 5 cm sprouting above the pea strw mulch on all of them.
Gardening is great.

cheers

grant

edit spell

Getting ahead a bit I know, but who has advice on storing hops once they've harvested them? Freeze 'em? Vacuum seal em? What's the go?!

dry them, then bag them and freeze them. vacuum seal is good if you have it :p

EDIT: just to clarify, you don't want to freeze them if you haven't dried them so i hear.

Latest posts

Back