2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought some hop rhizomes from ebay last week ... waiting for the packages either today or tomorrow .... cant wait!!!!

As per "Roddersf"'s post yes ebay is so cheap at the moment i picked up the following:

2x cascade, 1x hersbruker, 1x goldings - $48 + $10 postage

Chinook - $12 + $5.50 postage

I remeber seeing Chinook & cascade going for $50 about a month or so ago.

Yes these rhizomes may be a bit smaller but i am not expecting the best results out of my hops in the first harvest anyway. I am growing for next year!!!!

Cheers
Plyers

I planted two rhizomes in August - Tettnang in a pot and Chinook in the ground. The Tettnang popped it's head up first about four weeks ago, threw six leaves and promptly stopped. I hope Gilbrew's right about stopping for a few weeks... The Chinook started growing about two to three weeks ago and has been heading vertical ever since. Currently one meter tall with a second bine just starting to take off. Thanks to fraser_john for the rhizomes...

sap.

hops1.png

Big storms to hit sydney tonight, high winds and hail!!

I have covered my hops in stacks of hay to try and protect them. Hope its not to harsh!

Looking good but you might want to pull some weeds eh <_<

Looking good but you might want to pull some weeds eh <_<

I did! You should have seen it before the photo..... :lol:

I treat my hops like weeds. Hence the last piece of attention they got was when i cut down the bines and dumped a load of horse shit on them before winter.

The rest of the vegie patch is knee high weeds! So they should consider themselves truly spoilt. ;)

My chilli plants on the other hand, they get all the love :p

Yeah the weeds are a problem this time of year. I dont bother weeding under my broad beans and they dont seem to mind. But around the tomatoes/peppers etc they get a good going over.

The chooks love them

got a question about last years hop plants, some of mine have shoots popping up about 60cm away from the main crown.They popped up last year and had small bines coming off them so should I just leave them to do their thing and dig them up next year. Will try to post photo to show what I mean later

Saw some action while removing mulch to put elsewhere in the garden. Was quite excited. Thanks for all your words of relax, seems to have done the trick. Will post a pick If I ever get a camera...

got a question about last years hop plants, some of mine have shoots popping up about 60cm away from the main crown.They popped up last year and had small bines coming off them so should I just leave them to do their thing and dig them up next year. Will try to post photo to show what I mean later

Have a look at my photo above.

The width of that photo is ~1m. And last year i had shoots appearing next to the fence, another 50cm away and a few 20 cm to the left of that shot. I cut those back when i cut the bines back and sold them. I suspect i will be able to do that every year or 2.

Hop roots spread like blackberries, dont be surprised if you find shoots appearing up to a few metres away.

I was digging up my veg patch to plant a winter feed crop of peas and discovered one of the other hop plants (chinook) has roots ~2m from the rhizome.

Plan this year is to let all the bines you see in the above pic grow. Any later shoots will be cut back. Will also trim the leaves at least 50cm off the ground to allow air to circulate.

Why do people keep referring to hops as weeds?
A weed as I learnt it, is a plant out of place. Or it is a plant that is detrimental / nuisance to the crop you are trying to grow.
If you want to grow hops, then they're not weeds. If a hop plant appears amongst your rose garden, then its a weed.
Being hardy does not make it a weed either.

Why do people keep referring to hops as weeds?
A weed as I learnt it, is a plant out of place. Or it is a plant that is detrimental / nuisance to the crop you are trying to grow.
If you want to grow hops, then they're not weeds. If a hop plant appears amongst your rose garden, then its a weed.
Being hardy does not make it a weed either.

Ah, a fellow pedant. :icon_cheers:

I refer to them as weeds not in the literal sense but as as they show the same growth habit as weeds in my garden. I don't water them or feed them yet they still grow. If i showed the same lack of attention to my vegie patch it would die.

So yes, they are a very hardy plant.

They are rhizomes so have their own energy store and therefore don't have the same energy requirements as say a tomato plant.

Have a look at my photo above.

Plan this year is to let all the bines you see in the above pic grow. Any later shoots will be cut back. Will also trim the leaves at least 50cm off the ground to allow air to circulate.

Interesting DR S, I'm going to to the same with a 3 year old Tardif de bogogne which doesn't seem to flower much and what flowers it has produced have been fried in the sun. I'm thinking the standard commercial practice of 3-4 bines is a practical consideration for hop farms and then I read that Denny Conn (US) let a Cascade go unattended one year and got the best yield He'd ever had!

Its got about 16 runners appearing so far so I guess I'll have to settle for a number some point.

Cheers,
BB

Here's my Chinook, POW and Tettnang. All three rhizomes were accidentally frozen solid for a couple of weeks in an old fridge with a busted thermostat! They certainly must be tough little buggers!

Hop1.jpg

Hop2.jpg

Hop3.jpg

well I think I might have killed my chinook rhizomes I planted 2 rhizomes at home about 8 weeks ago, one in the ground, the other in a 20-25L pot. After 2 to 3 weeks they sprouted. The birds took the first 2 shoots of both so for the last 2 weeks I've had them covered in net but nothing has moved. No new shoots and no growth on the remaining few mm's of the ones the birds got to. I've watered lightly every second day and fertilized once with an all purpose fertilizer, not on the hops directly but in a circle around the shoots about 20cm away and given them a water with seasol a couple of times. They get plenty of sun and conditions have been quite warm in Melbourne over the last 2 to 3 weeks. The inlaws planted a 3rd rhizome from the same batch at their place about 2 weeks after mine and it's going well.

I had expected mine to be about where sappas' is in his picture as they were planted the same time.

Anyway I'll just wait and see.

Oh and lochrockinbeats I ordered and transferred the money for a chinook rhizome off ebay from you. It might be a bit late to plant but I wanted to try another even if the others do live to tell the tale.

Ah, a fellow pedant. :icon_cheers:

I refer to them as weeds not in the literal sense but as as they show the same growth habit as weeds in my garden. I don't water them or feed them yet they still grow. If i showed the same lack of attention to my vegie patch it would die.

So yes, they are a very hardy plant.

They are rhizomes so have their own energy store and therefore don't have the same energy requirements as say a tomato plant.

OK - fair enough.

...The birds took the first 2 shoots of both so for the last 2 weeks I've had them covered in net but nothing has moved. No new shoots and no growth on the remaining few mm's of the ones the birds got to....

What - now I have to watch out for birds too?! First Dogs now birds want My Precious...

MyPrecious.jpg

I'll have to sleep next to them with a shot gun... MR FRODO!!!

I went outside earlier, my growth 10 days ago was merely an inch, now both plants are around 1- 1.5 ft tall! :eek:

Looks like i better run some lines to the Trellis ASAP!

Back