2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will pick up some loaves of crusty bread from the Markets Saturday morning before heading up the hill, instead of a salad.

Made my labels now, just have to attach them. I have 23 glass long necks of a Summer Mild I came up with. Domonsura it has 4% brown malt so it is a dark beer, I hope you don't mind :p I'll also bring some APA on the day.

Still deciding what meat and salad to bring, with everyone out gourmet-ing each other my usual efforts won't cut it! I'm open to suggestions if you guys can think of something to smoke (food wise!) or grill that is not already on the menu. I live near Regency Tafe so I'm close to the Fish Factory, and Standom.

I have a Soda Stream canister I could bring, complete with adaptor if anyone needs some gas to dispense with? I don't own a regulator or tap etc, I still bottle condition my brews. Let me know and I'll swap my empty cylinder for a fresh fill and bring it along. Btw just saw Big W have deck chairs on sale, 2 for $16 from memory if anyone needs some last minute seating.

Rudy.

Ill be bringing a couple of freshly killed barossa valley rabbits to wrap in alfoil and throw in the smokers(im thinking with some thyme, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of someones finest ale to help braise it along nicely), some snags and a asian vermicilli noodle salad.

I will pick up some loaves of crusty bread from the Markets Saturday morning before heading up the hill, instead of a salad.

what a champion suggestion....nothing like fresh crusty bread to break up a drinking session. ;)

KHB, I hope theres no lead left in those rabbits.....when I was in the army, we got "fresh chicken" one night, and I cracked a tooth on some shot. :lol:

KHB, I hope theres no lead left in those rabbits.....when I was in the army, we got "fresh chicken" one night, and I cracked a tooth on some shot. :lol:

Nope they are lead free rabbits :D

Can we find out the number of people bottling from the keg - and can they label there beer as such.

Personally - i don't like bottling from the keg - prefer bottle and prime normally so that it lasts longer in the bottle.
Might be better to sort this out and make it known prior to the next case swap.

I save mine for just after new years and take the case down to Moanna Caravan Park where we holiday - makes nice tasty drinking with great variety.

Seems I am a bit late on organizing the pig. But I will bring a tonne of bar snacks. Nuts and bolts, homemade jerky that kind of thing. Hope this is ok.

Cheers

HK

Can we find out the number of people bottling from the keg - and can they label there beer as such.

Personally - i don't like bottling from the keg - prefer bottle and prime normally so that it lasts longer in the bottle.

I save mine for just after new years and take the case down to Moanna Caravan Park where we holiday - makes nice tasty drinking with great variety.

The ones bottled from the keg will last till after new years easily i didnt drink smurtos till a month after the swap and it was fine

The ones bottled from the keg will last till after new years easily i didnt drink smurtos till a month after the swap and it was fine

Bloody kit brewers there is no pleasing them, or is there :rolleyes:

On another note, I am still bringing the beer pump but was wondering whether anyone else anticipted bring a keg. (stupid question) If that is the case and yours is not currently carbed can you PM me. I have a keg of ESB that is tasting looovely but the only problem is that I should have carbed it a lower rate. Undercarbing I have found is the answer to pulling a beer through my engine with out to much foaming or loss of beer. I know I could do the shake and release method but since it has been sitting cold for over two weeks it is currently nice and clear. Shaking it is something I don't want to do.

BYB

Ill be bringing a couple of freshly killed barossa valley rabbits to wrap in alfoil and throw in the smokers(im thinking with some thyme, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of someones finest ale to help braise it along nicely), some snags and a asian vermicilli noodle salad.

Yummo. Had roast rabbit last Tuesday night with partners olds. Very tasty. Slow cooked and smoked sounds sensational! We slow cooked several on a shooting trip in september on the camp fire. A longie of my stout and 5 hours on a fire.. tasty as.

Craig - snacks are very welcome - something to scoop up the pile of dip (hummus, tzatsiki) i am making would be good.

As KHB said, beers bottled form the keg will happily hold their carbonation. Assuming you can seal the bottle the carb has nowehere to go! It will be slighlty less than it is on tap. I have bottles i tapped form the keg months ago. Still carbed up.

Rudy - snapper is sensational slow cooked on a smoker. A bunch of mates are going on the yearly charter fishing trip this Saturday (yes, i gave that up for you lot) and last year we had snapper 'wings' cooked on a smoker. Delish! Otherwise, any whole meaty fish altho no pressure as fish is bloody pricey at this time of the year - $100/kg for crays. WTF??

Dont worry about the soda stream. There will be at least 2 CO2 bottles here on the day.

Deck chairs are a must - it will be a long day. Just dont get caught nodding off, you'll never live it down!

I have several plastic west end cups for the less coordinated. ie. me.

4 more sleeps! :party: :party:

Nope

Why oh why could that be? Commercial breweries all over the world bottle from the keg or it's equivalent. Those that bottle condition are in the minority as far as I can tell.

I've bottled every single one of my swap beers from the keg and I'm not aware of a single one of them emptying itself on someone's bench before it could make it into the glass............... :lol:

Sorry Ken, I couldn't resist that one :) No spitting in the bottle you give to me this time <_<

I for one am anticipating this - yes I lead a sad uni-faceted existence - but I look forward to this thing. You're such a different bunch of blokes, when you all get put in the same room - good beer things happen. We should have more of these swaps.

Beer. Food. Friends. Great lives have been made of less. (I liked that one so much I put it in my sig....! )

• Fresh Crusty bread is a damn good idea
  • With all these BBQ's I will bring a fire extinguisher
  • I plan on combating the cold by sleeping beside my BBQ
  • For the record - my actions are unpredictable when I am drunk and someones wakes me up whilst writing on my face
  • I plan on having a hangover, and therefore am in control of my own actions and destiny
  • I really hope you all like chicken :) (Takes 10 kilos of chicken out of the freezer to start defrosting ....)

OK, bottled the beer today. First time bottling a full batch from the keg, and while the singles I have bottled have been fine, am currently concerned it may be undercarbed.

Have just tried my swap beer with KHB currently a little undercarbed. Two choices, 1st- Put it in with a best after date, or 2nd choice- just turn up for the fun of it. As far as taste goes KHB thinks it is to style but hopefully with a bit more carbonation it will wake up a bit more. So KHB thinks it should be put in with a best after date, what do you boys think???

Cheers

HK

I agree with KHB :D Clever sounding bloke that one :lol: Note to self no more posts after sharing a bottle of deus to wet the babys head :icon_drool2:

I still have a few POR hops rhizomes in pots. Anyone attending interested in one?

Craig - please please put your white shields beer in. Am happy to wait but to be honest, am happy to drink a low carbed beer!

mmmmmmm chicken. Drunken chilli sauce?

P&C - carb will drop slightly from the keg carb levels but once capped it will hold carbonation. For the record, if i think ahead i up the gas pressure by around 20% 2 days prior to bottling to compensate for this loss.

In saying that, and you will discover this on Saturday, i prefer my beer lower carbed than most. Yet another reason i am happy to call my golden ale an english bitter...... :rolleyes:

Boston,

Got KHB here and he would love it if you could bring a POR rhizome for him.

Cheers

HK

On another note, I am still bringing the beer pump but was wondering whether anyone else anticipted bring a keg. (stupid question) If that is the case and yours is not currently carbed can you PM me. I have a keg of ESB that is tasting looovely but the only problem is that I should have carbed it a lower rate. Undercarbing I have found is the answer to pulling a beer through my engine with out to much foaming or loss of beer. I know I could do the shake and release method but since it has been sitting cold for over two weeks it is currently nice and clear. Shaking it is something I don't want to do.

BYB
Haven't carbed mine yet....standard bitter with 1469, it's still in the cube. ;)

Craig - please please put your white shields beer in. Am happy to wait but to be honest, am happy to drink a low carbed beer!

P&C - carb will drop slightly from the keg carb levels but once capped it will hold carbonation. For the record, if i think ahead i up the gas pressure by around 20% 2 days prior to bottling to compensate for this loss.

Craig, I agree with Mark..I aslo prefer lower carb.

With bottling, If I'm doing a significant amount off the keg, I deliberately over carb it (compared to what it should be). 20% ish is about the same as what I do...~60KPa instead of my usual 50. Seems to work. If its just a bottle here or there, I don't bother.

Partner and i have just sat down to write a shopping list for the swap and realised that breakfast has been largely ignored.

Kenny was going to bring some Barossa bacon but isnt staying now.

I figure we need a few kg of bacon.

I have the eggs sorted.

Yet another reminder on chairs. I finally finished mowing the lawn (you will find out on Saturday why its such a chore) so plenty of place to sit but very low on chairs. There is a nice spot under the willows on the other side of the creek but its a hike back to the bar...... I mowed that too just in case we want to congregate there.

I will be firing up RustyC's smoker first thing in the morning so that at least something is ready by lunch time. I have a regular 4 burner bbq for those who bring along snags etc that want them cooked that way. Both RustyCs and Domonsuras bbqs cook at around 120C so arent really designed for quick cooking!

So as long as people rock up with food and beer it looks like its almost game on.

Anything else we have missed?

If people are still bringing extra case swap beers along we will puyt them aside for the non swappers to sample/take home. I have 5 extra at this stage.

The swapping will be done the minute all the beers are here so please, get here as early as you can. 'Gates' open at 12 officially but if you want to rock up early, i will be cooking before then.

Back