2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The schooey plantation...

PA140531.JPG

Chinook that has been in the pot for about 2 and a half weeks.

PA140532.JPG

Hallertau that has been in the pot for 2 weeks

mine are all in pots ...got my goldings rhizome from Rupert this afternoon and planted it in a pot along with the others ... which are starting to come up slowly looking for the sun ... just waiting on the chinnook now , and the unknown soldier ...

One big thing I like is that the earwigs dont seem to like them. These little bastards chew of any fresh shoot around here. Orange tree, passionfruit, zuccini etc etc have all been hit by them, but not the chinook :D

Earwigs rape my garden but leave the hops alone.

That job is saved for those little bastards, the spider mites.

I hurt them last year, hurt them real good.

40 dried chillies, a couple cloves of garlic and some liquid soap in 1L water pureed in a blender and then strained into a spray bottle.

So far they havent returned but i have the chillies on standby.........

Also works on aphids.

Pots the go it is then for me as a renter...
I have noticed numerous sellers on Evilbay for rhizomes - is this where everyone usually buys their rhizomes from?
Hoping this is not too much off-topic! :p
Cheers.

DrSmurto,
Fantistic work on the mites using chillis, I shall have to utilise this in future plantings!
Hurting mites is good!

Pots the go it is then for me as a renter...
I have noticed numerous sellers on Evilbay for rhizomes - is this where everyone usually buys their rhizomes from?
Hoping this is not too much off-topic! :p
Cheers.
You're nearing the end of the rhizome season. Rhizomes are best planted when it's a little colder. Have a hunt about, but if you're chasing a particular variety you may have to wait for next year.

Evil Bay is thinning out for sellers of the zomes. About 5 still on there at last count, a couple at silly prices. Don't buy into a rhizome at $40-$60, it's crazy unless you want it that bad. My tip is check back to ebay regularly, and wait for the 'buy it now' prices to pop up from the vendors as they get desperate. These guys really only have till mid november at absolute latest I would think to move their stock. Too darn hot after then. Have bought a hallertau and a hersbrucker this way. The 'buy it now' prices have been as low as $15. Bidding up to $120 for a cascade rhizome (it happened in july believe it or not) is crazy stuff, but some people get desperate.

Another option if you like Aussie pale ales, and a good bittering hop is to go a pride of ringwood rhizome. These have been regularly up for grabs on this forum and I believe Sandy at Hopco has had quite a few available regularly at decent prices - $25 a zome from memory. You'll find contact details if you do a search on AHB.

Gryphon Brewing had about three varieties earlier in the year, but none now. A few of the members had small amounts available but they are now gone and there was a Western Australian bulk rhizome buy at one stage. There is a place in Tassie that does them retail via mail (found it googling) but they closed off their offer for about 6 different varieties at the end of July. Most of the giveaway zomes on AHB happened in the middle of winter - August.

If you get stuck - check the hop register in the articles section and pester someone for a freebie that lives near you next year. As you'll see from the register, many of us are growing for the first year so can't cut you off a slice yet, but you never know what will turn up.

Hopper.

Thanks HoppingMad plus DrSmurto & Bizier for the PM's.

Cheers!

Well here are 2 of my plants, both Chinook. Got my cluster at my oldies place as i dont have enough room in my townhouse courtyard for 3! The big one is growing at a rate of an inch a day atm!

15102008.jpg

15102008_001_.jpg

Well here are 2 of my plants, both Chinook. Got my cluster at my oldies place as i dont have enough room in my townhouse courtyard for 3! The big one is growing at a rate of an inch a day atm!

I'd take those pots out from under that apple tree. One of those red things is likely to fall and crush your plants :D

Guys,
Planted this Chinook Rhysone 3 weeks ago &was wondering what I should do at this point? Behind the pot is a trellis about 2m high & 2m wide, should I lead it onto that or rig up some wire?

new_Hops_001.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Earwigs rape my garden but leave the hops alone.

That job is saved for those little bastards, the spider mites.

I hurt them last year, hurt them real good.

40 dried chillies, a couple cloves of garlic and some liquid soap in 1L water pureed in a blender and then strained into a spray bottle.

So far they havent returned but i have the chillies on standby.........

Also works on aphids.

I'll have to give this a run. Something is keeping all leaves off Col (columbus) who is still a sad little 5mm stalk. He had another little growth breakling through but something has completely knocked that off. I'm giving up hope for Proudy (POR) he's shown no sign of life at all and been inthe ground about 6 weeks or so.

For the record I've seen no mites around the hops at all, but will give the spray a go

I'll have to give this a run. Something is keeping all leaves off Col (columbus) who is still a sad little 5mm stalk. He had another little growth breakling through but something has completely knocked that off. I'm giving up hope for Proudy (POR) he's shown no sign of life at all and been inthe ground about 6 weeks or so.

For the record I've seen no mites around the hops at all, but will give the spray a go

Seen any snail or slug trails around them at all ???

I'd take those pots out from under that apple tree. One of those red things is likely to fall and crush your plants :D

Hehe,

A mate from work is growing hops, he thaught his were big so far! I just took the photo with the apple for scale. (obviously)

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Guys,
Planted this Chinook Rhysone 3 weeks ago &was wondering what I should do at this point? Behind the pot is a trellis about 2m high & 2m wide, should I lead it onto that or rig up some wire?

View attachment 21862

Cheers

Paul

With a nice trellis like that I reckon you'd just use a couple of bread ties and guide it/secure it onto the trellis to stop the shoot flapping about. No string needed.

Hi growers,
I planted a Chinook rhizome a couple weeks ago, it sprouted nicely but yesterday I noticed some of the leaves on the shoots have been eaten. Pretty sure its not slugs or snails as I haven't seen any or signs of them around. DrSmurto mentioned spider mites above, I think that's what I have here. I've attached a couple of pictures, can anyone confirm. If so, how much of the chilli spray should I apply, and should I apply it directly to the shoots or around the base of them?

Hops1.JPG

Hops2.JPG

Hops3.JPG

Thought I would show off a pic of my first hops plant. A cascade beauty. Growing steadily in Brisbane, QLD.

P1010064.JPG

The foot is for camparison.

P1010066.JPG

Can't wait for a flower to sprout :icon_cheers:

Never been this excited about gardening.

Hi growers,
I planted a Chinook rhizome a couple weeks ago, it sprouted nicely but yesterday I noticed some of the leaves on the shoots have been eaten. Pretty sure its not slugs or snails as I haven't seen any or signs of them around. DrSmurto mentioned spider mites above, I think that's what I have here. I've attached a couple of pictures, can anyone confirm. If so, how much of the chilli spray should I apply, and should I apply it directly to the shoots or around the base of them?

I've noticed the same thing with my plant but have no idea what the culprit is. :blink:

Hi growers,

That looks like a caterpilar imo. Did you have a really good look on the back of the leaves that are being eaten? tiny lil green suckers, rip em off and feed em to the birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back