2006 Bjcp Study Course/exam

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berapnopod

Reaction score
Well, with much prodding from Ross (not really), I'll lay out some info for the BJCP course/exam.

What is the BJCP study course/exam? Best explanation can be got from the BJCP study guide but it is a bit long. Basically, the purpose is to learn people up on both brewing better beer and becoming better beer judges for homebrew competitions. The course breaks down into 10 sessions where you get together and discuss a technical topic on brewing (eg yeast, malting, mashing etc). You also taste and discuss beers from a particular style (eg. Porters/Stouts, Wheat beers etc). If either or both of these interest you, then you should have a look at the link.

Last year I ran a reasonably successful course. The culmination was an exam in Sydney and one in Melbourne. In all, 21 people sat the exam.

I want to do things a little differently this year. Basically, I don't want to be seen as "running" the course side of things. I think it created a bit of confusion last year. So I want the course to be run in a manner more in tune with what the BJCP suggest: A bunch of people in a local area get together for meetings and run the course themselves on their own schedule. As I understand it, the NW Sydney brew club are intending to form a study group in their area - thats a good start!

As for the exam side, I am happy to organise exams again. For those in Sydney, my main requirement is that at least 10 people commit to the exam. For those outside Sydney, what worked well last year with the Mebourne exam was that I organised the exam from Sydney and then the Melbourne guys flew me there and put me up (put up with me?) for the night so I could administer the exam in Melbourne. If you want an exam but don't want to travel to Sydney, then I think this method works very well. Again, you need at least 10 people for an exam, as well as covering my travel costs, plus some floor space for a kip.

So, if you're interested, probably the best way to get started is to just let me know your email address and your location. Then I'll put together a list of people and locations to set up study groups. Exam details can be worked out later on.

Please feel free to shoot me any questions you might have.

Berp.

G'day Berp. Thanks for clearing a few things up. PM sent.

Shawn.

Gday
I too, am interested in doing the exam, but I dunno if I will be able to make it to Newy every time they have a study group or beer tasting, :(. I will be in touch with Shawn anywayto try and co-ordinate with the Newy boys. Also, Shawn, thats yer thousandth post! Dunno if thats any sort of milestone, but it seems like it to me with my paltry little number! MAybe that calls for a beer...
All the best
Trent

Bugger me if that wasn't my 1000th post :beerbang: :lol: Must be the slowest to 1000 around here I reckon :lol:

Apologies for the thread hijack - back to the BJCP :)

Shawn...

Thanks Trent, you beat me to it :lol: Most welcome in our group mate, I'll get in touch with the details when things are settled, hopefully later on in the week.

Shawn.

Berp,

I'll keep watching this space for a study group in NW Sydney. Depending upon the location and date / time - I'll try to attend (with a view to sitting the exam).

Thanks
Will

Thanks berapnopod :)

What's the minimum number of people needed for the meetings & is 10 set in stone for the exam, if say, we can only get half a dozen interested in Brizzy?

Could just a few of us meet up & then travel to Sydney to join a larger group for the exam?

cheers Ross

Sing out if some B&B is needed.....I'll tell the wife later....

Linz...make sure you give her more than 5 minutes notice

Good Day
I am certainly interested in doing the course, sorry I couldn't do it last year. Have already started to study the guides and find it really hard to remember all the statistics and description for each style but will keep trying.

PS. Shawn I think my 1000th post will take the longest if I ever get there.

Ross said:
Thanks berapnopod :)

What's the minimum number of people needed for the meetings & is 10 set in stone for the exam, if say, we can only get half a dozen interested in Brizzy?

Could just a few of us meet up & then travel to Sydney to join a larger group for the exam?

cheers Ross
[post="104260"][/post]​

10 is not set in stone for the exam. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if there are 8 or 9, but 6 is pretty dicey. If one or two drop out, then theres a real chance of the exam folding.

As for number of people with the meetings, its really up to you. The more the merrier, and it helps to share round the cost of the tasting beers, as well as the preparation work. When I did the study course, there were only 4 of us, but we were really motivated.

Of course, you're welcome to come down to Sydney for an exam here. I would prefer that, since its easier for me. I just made the suggestion of me flying there, since its cheaper for you guys to fly one person, than everyone to come here.

Berp.

Thanks for the info Berp. Our group is now sitting at 8, so close to the magic 10 :) Should be good.

Shawn.

ps. Barry, you've definitely got me covered :lol: I dips me lid ;)

Any Brizzy guys interested??

Please send me a pm - we can either fly Berp up here for the exam, or jump in a vehicle & have a beer break in Sydney :chug:

I'm really keen - I hope there's a few others :)

cheers Ross...

I'm really keen - I hope there's a few others

Hey Ross !,
Love your enthusiasm (sp) ...... Mate i can asure you (and others) its a great course and well worth the effort !

I went the first round,and would and will sit it again.

:beerbang:

BrissyBrew said:
what is the cost of course? i maybe interested
[post="104419"][/post]​
The course is self-organised, so no formal fee. Although you'll need to chip in for the price of tasting beers each session. The exam costs $US50.
I'll need an upfront deposit for the exam and the balance at the exam. Details of that can be worked out later.

See my previous posts WRT costs associated with the exam logistics.

Berp.

homebrewworld.com said:
I'm really keen - I hope there's a few others

Hey Ross !,
Love your enthusiasm (sp) ...... Mate i can asure you (and others) its a great course and well worth the effort !

I went the first round,and would and will sit it again.

:beerbang:
[post="104445"][/post]​

Thats right, HBW.C, once you become a BJCP judge, you can *never* leave.
Muahahahahaaaa!

Ahem, I mean, all new interested parties are most welcome to sign up. :blink:

Berp.

Is the exam multiple choice yet?????

I'll have a go if it is.... B)

Latest posts

Back