2 X Coopers Kits With S-04, Ferment Won't Stop!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caelum

Reaction score
So, on the 31st of March I put down two brews:

Coopers IPA kit
1 can of goo
800gr Light DME
400gr Dex

Coopers Wheat kit:
1 can of goo
1.5kg wheat LME

To both brews, i added a pack of S-04 yeast, and it bubbled along nicely for about a week, and then started to slow down, as i would have expected. This is the first time that i've used S-04 yeast, so am not sure on it's behaviour.

It kept on slowly ticking over for another week or so, then basically stopped.

Went down this morning to check on them(they're in a shed in the paddock!) and blow me down, BOTH of the brews are now back bubbling away again!

I took a hydrometer reading about 1.5 weeks ago, and they were both down to roughly 1010-1015, so i figured they were pretty much finished, or not far from it. Decided to give them a week, then bottle. Temps have been on average mid-high teens during the day, but at night have been down to single digits.

Right now, they're bubbling away at a rate of about once every 5 seconds...

So the question is: Should i just let them keep on bubbling away, and bottle when they stop, or what?

Cheers!

Cae.

bubbling doesn't necessarily mean fermentation.
change in pressure or temperature can cause the airlock to bubble.
go by the hydrometer reading. as long as that's stable you're good to go.
murray

I took a hydrometer reading about 1.5 weeks ago, and they were both down to roughly 1010-1015

You should be a little more accurate with your hydro readings also, I wouldn't consider 1015 to be finished for that first brew, but 1010 I would. There's a big gap there. But +1 on ignoring the airlock, take (accurate) hydro readings and when you have 3 the same over 3 days and assuming it's not suspiciously high, it's ready

Hydro test with a constant grav reading over a few days (as long as it's around what you expect) is the best indication that it's finished.

The air lock and bubbles are not an indication that things are fermenting or not.

If it apparently fermented out and then started fermenting again after a long lag (week+), you might have got an infection. Taste em and see if they taste off...

I should have been more accurate in my wording :)

The IPA was ~1010, the wheat ~1015, both readings +/- about 0002.

I'll go take another hydro reading this arvo though, see where it's sitting.

And while i realise that change in temps will make the airlock bubble - why now, and not each day for the last 2 weeks? Temps haven't changed that much day-to-day...

I had the same problem. However I did the hydro reading measurements over three day thing and it was 1006. Cool I though ready for bottling........no, I ended up with bottle bombs on some beers, and mostly head on others. I then proceeded to ask why from the homebrew shop, they said that next time to make sure give the fermenter a swirl. Don't know how true this is but if the temps fall at night it might be possible the yeast go dormant and start to settle then when they kick off again they are towards the bottom changing the gravity of the bottom and not the top, therefore still sugars in the upper section. This is just my crazy hypothesis. But yeah same problem with that yeast. I don't have that problem now as I ferment in a fridge and converted to kegs.

Good luck

Interesting anecdote - anyone else have comments on that?

S-04 has been known to stall, its happened to me several times. However, at 1.006 there wouldn't much left in that . I'd say it's done its work on that one.

My rule of thumb is, If still in doubt let it ferment out. No matter what the SG.Then check and check again.

As long as it stays sealed from infection you could leave it for a few weeks no prob. Patience has brought many a heart ache but not as much as bottle bombs.

At 1.010 over 3 days I'd bottle it. At 1.015 I'd give it a little swirl or go to secondary. Alternatively using PETs would be safer. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I think you'll find that a liquid with a lower gravity reading than another will actually prefer to float on the top.

1.006 is very low - I'm guessing this wasn't a normal beer. Other reasons - incorrect reading, too much priming sugar.

Picking up to swirl can help rouse the yeast to get those last few points as can raising the temp, or even racking to secondary.

You might not have noticed gas coming out over the past week as it may have been leaking through the seal, this path might have now properly sealed and it's coming through the airlock.

I did another SG check just then, and it hasn't really changed since i last checked.

IPA: 1012
Wheat: 1014

I'll give it another check tomorrow arvo, but i'm inclined to give it another week to see if it settles down.

I can't taste much sugar left in the brews however, and i've got a pretty good palate, grew up on a vineyard so learnt to detect/appreciate different flavours/etc in wine.

Checked the accuracy of the hydrometer and it's all good. So who knows.

I did another SG check just then, and it hasn't really changed since i last checked.

IPA: 1012
Wheat: 1014

I'll give it another check tomorrow arvo, but i'm inclined to give it another week to see if it settles down.

I can't taste much sugar left in the brews however, and i've got a pretty good palate, grew up on a vineyard so learnt to detect/appreciate different flavours/etc in wine.

Checked the accuracy of the hydrometer and it's all good. So who knows.

A hydrometer is your best friend ;)
Daz

Latest posts

Back