2 Row Or Six

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white.grant

tum te tum
Reaction score
I've been reviewing some recipes, as I'm nearly ready to go AG and drink like a king, or even an ambassador, but I am confused by reference to rows, eg 2 "row base malt", that I have found in some recipes. What does that row thing mean?

And is there a list somewhere that compares brand names and types eg Weyerman Pilsener = 2 row base, etc

happy for a linky :)

cheers

Grant

They're just two types of barley. AFAIK, none of the barley here (or in Europe) is six-row but happy to be proved wrong. There's a good deal of six row in the States which is why brewing materials often mention it. This is what John Palmer has to say about it (from here.)

The diastatic power of a particular malt will vary with the type of barley it is made from. There are two basic varieties of barley, two row and six row - referring to the arrangement of the kernels around the shaft. Two row barley is the generally preferred variety, having a bit higher yield per pound, lower protein levels, and claiming a more refined flavor than six row. However, six row has a little higher diastatic power than two row. Historically, the higher protein level of six row barley (which can produce a very heavy bodied beer) drove brewers to thin the wort with unmalted grains like corn and rice. Brewers were able to take advantage of six row barley's higher diastatic power to achieve full conversion of the mash in spite of the non-enzymatic starch sources (adjuncts).

Back