2 row American malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
What's a good American 2 row malt. Looking to get some so I can do a few can you brew it recipes

If it were me i'd just substitute it with an aussie two row eg Barrett Burston, fairly inexpensive and a good malt.

I think Briess is the only one available here.

I wouldn't bother personally, unless you're doing a light beer like a california common or cream ale, I can't see it adding much compared to JW/BB ale.

It's readily available, and it would be more comparable to a pilsner than an ale malt - if you were to go Australian.

Briess 2-Row
3.0 EBC
Moisture: 4.7%
Extract, Fine Grind, As Is: 78.5%
Diastatic Power: 159 L

Joe White Export Pilsner
3.0 - 4.0 EBC
Moisture: 4.4%
Extract, Fine Grind, As Is: 77.1%
Diastatic Power: 99 L

Joe White Trad Ale
6.3 EBC
Moisture: 4.1%
Extract, Fine Grind, As Is: 77.4%
Diastatic Power: 91 L

I sub BB Pale Pilsner or BB Galaxy where 2 Row would be used, as Spiesy mentioned, the Aussie pale malts are pretty close in specs.

Looking at the diastatic power of the Briess, it would be da bomb in a cream ale, 50/50 malt/maize

I'm looking at the Sydney cryer bb. Do any of them do any of it. I also don't want to substitute with anything yet. E.g pilsiner. I wouldn't mind doing it the normal way then try mixing later on so I personally can understand the difference in taste between malts.

mrsupraboy said:
I'm looking at the Sydney cryer bb. Do any of them do any of it. I also don't want to substitute with anything yet. E.g pilsiner. I wouldn't mind doing it the normal way then try mixing later on so I personally can understand the difference in taste between malts.
You may well have to, we don't much if any American malts in Australia

Bribie G said:
Looking at the diastatic power of the Briess, it would be da bomb in a cream ale, 50/50 malt/maize
ever done a 50/50 mate? i used 20% instant polenta and it was fairly corny

mrsupraboy said:
Between 2 row and 6
Pretty much no one uses 6 row

It's very good at converting adjuncts apparently. Beers like millers, coors and other American style swill use it for that reason I believe. I could be wrong, as usual.

Latest posts

Back