2 Can Kit Brews And Blending

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelinz

Reaction score
I made a 2 can Coopers dark ale which turned our really bitter but alas not enjoyably so, nasty. One of the kits was close to expiry (an unused gift from a friend) so I added it to another and brewed them together. I wonder if the excessive/harsh bitterness is due to the older kit or is this kit just too bitter to use 2 cans. If I was to blend this with a lightly hoped brew would it save it? It is kegged so I guess this is possible. Any suggestions of what to blend it with?

rgds mike

Can't recall the IBU's of the kits but the bitterness will dissipate over time (3-6 months). There have been a few threads on 2 can brews. Do a search for tucan or twocan and read up. From memory some of the harsher tucans (2 stouts) could take up to 6 months before becoming drinkable.

As it's kegged I'm not sure how that would go. If you wanted to 'blend it with something I suppose, kit wise, a blonde might be an idea. Anything that's lightly hopped to lower the bitterness.

I'm not too sure on the 'nasty' side. Nasty as in overpoweringly bitter or nasty as in disgustingly bitter ? i.e. Too bitter for your taste or bitter in a bad way ?

Bitter as in really harsh

I'm not too sure on the 'nasty' side. Nasty as in overpoweringly bitter or nasty as in disgustingly bitter ? i.e. Too bitter for your taste or bitter in a bad way ?
[/quote]

i did a "lager" and a "dark ale" - both coopers kits. did 25L of water. bottled it. its kind of under carbed so its not heaps bubbly. its not the beer you have as your first refreshing one after work but if i've had a few already i can have one. guess im gonna leave it and maybe by the time i get to the end of the supply it will nicer :p

I threw two Homebrand Lager kits together with a US-05 yeast. Turned out pretty well, dark body with quite good head and nice malty flavours balanced by a respectable [but not overpowering] bitterness. Give it a shot sometime if you're curious.

MikeLinz were they two fo the same can? Coopers Dark Ale x 2 ?

I have an experimental toucan in the secondary at the moment, Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale with a Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught, The hydro sample tasted bitter. Keen to see how it comes out.

MD

EDIT: Forgot to mention 500g of Light Dry Malt - was aiming for 6.5%ABV think I got 7.3%

I recently made a toucan coopers dark ale and stout. Tried it at two weeks in the bottle and was bitter. Has been a month now will try tomorrow night and see how itgoes

I recently made a toucan coopers dark ale and stout. Tried it at two weeks in the bottle and was bitter. Has been a month now will try tomorrow night and see how itgoes

Do Tell, any less Bitter? (man you chose some hopped kits to blend)

MD

Consider that with two cans of goop, you've got enough bittering for two brews as you would normally make them. Put them together and they *will* be bitter.

I made a Coopers Stout / Dark Ale toucan early last year and let it age for a few months. It was very, very good. The bitterness will soften over time and the result will be worth your patience.

Consider that with two cans of goop, you've got enough bittering for two brews as you would normally make them. Put them together and they *will* be bitter.

I made a Coopers Stout / Dark Ale toucan early last year and let it age for a few months. It was very, very good. The bitterness will soften over time and the result will be worth your patience.

OK so I key, will I get the same results as bottle aging if I just leave it in the keg for a few months?

OK so I key, will I get the same results as bottle aging if I just leave it in the keg for a few months?

I would expect so, or you could carbonate it then bottle out of the keg if you wanted to free it up for other purposes. Thirsty Boy has a thread here somewhere on how to make a cheap and cheerful BathTub Engineering Counter Pressure Bottle Filler if you don't already have that capability...

Latest posts

Back