1st time yeast harvest help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kippertaylor

Reaction score
Hi I harvested the yeast from a Hefe I did back at start of March and kept in fridge since then, don't know if it's still viable and should it look like this or has something gone wrong. The dark colour is putting me of using it and ruining a batch. Should I be binning it and starting fresh it was a wyes last 3068,
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472687107.217108.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472687124.741074.jpg

This is nowhere near my area of expertise, but that looks like Beer liquid on top, trub in the middle and yeast on the bottom. I could be way off. From some of the yeast washing threads I've been reading it's supposed to be beer liquid on top, yeast in the middle and trub on the bottom.

Hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about answers soon though.

I kept some 3068 from a starter recently and it looked the same. Appeared to be yeast on bottom and trub on top. I've seen it with highly flocculant yeasts too. Make a starter and proof it?

If the hefeweizen you made was not black then that should go in the bin. Looks like a solid amount of harvested yeast in there but the colour of the beer is of concern?

Hmmm... 6 months might be pushing it a bit but if you want to reuse I would pour off the beer and make a starter. Give the starter a taste and sniff and if she's OK use it, if not bin it. Or just buy a fresh vial!

Agree with Pratty, was the original beer dark/black?

As an aside, I've never had much luck repitching hefe yeasts given the flocculation properties. I've harvested before and ended up with an unintended Krystalweizen! Best approach would be grow a starter of first gen yeast and split that.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm leaning towards dumping this jar and getting another packet of yeast I'd rather not take a chance. The original beer was a pale straw coloured Hefeweizen and it was a simple but lovely tasting brew.Got plenty of wheat and organic Pilsner grain so might see what else I can brew up this weekend instead. Thanks again

Back