1st Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach_R

Reaction score
G'day Gents,

I'm gonna have a crack at extract brewing in the next week or two. Currently playing around with the Ianh's spreadsheet and have come up with this APA recipe..

1x 1.5kg Coopers Wheat LME
1x 1.5kg Coopers Light LME

250g x Carared
150g x Caraaroma
100g x Carapils
250g x Dex

45g POR @ 60 mins
30g Amarillo @ 20 mins
20g Cascade @ 20 mins
30g Amarillo @ 5 mins
20g Cascade @ 5 mins

US05 Yeast

This gives me an IBU of 42.7, EBC of 15.3 and Alc @ 5.3%

Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this before..

Just not 100% sure on the hop amounts and and whether they'll work well together ( i reckon they will be alright)..

Also wanting the cara red to really shine through on this and need to know if this amount will be enough

Cheers..

Looks ok to me. Doesn't look like you're doing a full volume boil, is that the case? Only things I'd change is use something other than POR for bittering, Warrior has always done good for me in APA's as a bittering hop, and because of it's high AA% you'll use less, win win. Also (and this is just IMO) CaraAroma doesn't do it for me in APA's. CaraRed's a good choice though. The Amarillo & Cascade combo always works well. Looks tasty none the less

Yeah boil volume of 5 litres for this one, what is the diff between the warrior and POR? besides AA%... does either impart flavour or just bitterness with the 60 min addition..?

Warrior is an American hop, so IMO it'll be more suited, but saying that I really doubt you'll notice any flavour from a 60 min addition with those classic APA late hop additions, Warrior doesn't have a very harsh bitterness, which is what I like about it. Never been a fan of POR myself, always found it hard to get it fresh (before I discovered the sponsors), I think that's what did it for me.

I'd just use 300g Carared, Carared aids head retention better than Carapils IMO, you won't even know the Carapils is there and the Cararoma won't do much either. Make sure your boil SG is 1040ish, if you only add the wort from the spec grain and the .25 dex to 5L your SG will be too low and you'll end up with 50+ IBUs.

looks the ducks to me.

The only question i would have is why go the Wheat tin and not another Light. Just wondering on the Wheat character in a APA.

The other thing i would consider is a dry hop addition. yummy

I'd just use 300g Carared, Carared aids head retention better than Carapils IMO, you won't even know the Carapils is there and the Cararoma won't do much either. Make sure your boil SG is 1040ish, if you only add the wort from the spec grain and the .25 dex to 5L your SG will be too low and you'll end up with 50+ IBUs.

Glaab... yeah realise that the wort needs to brought up to 1040 using LME (boil of 4L not 5L which i said before, 4L gives 42.7 IBU) .. also using 300g carared, would the colour show through or would you need a much larger addition to get a red beer??

Also putting this in the spreadsheet only gives and EBC of 8.1 which seems pretty low?

looks the ducks to me.

The only question i would have is why go the Wheat tin and not another Light. Just wondering on the Wheat character in a APA.

The other thing i would consider is a dry hop addition. yummy

I've seen around the place on the smurto golden ale extract version has a wheat can, i was originally going to just do this recipe but have decdided to make a few minor changes to it, so since i have the wheat can i figured i may aswell use it..

id do it, change the 20min to 10min, and the 5min to dry hop after primary.

id do it, change the 20min to 10min, and the 5min to dry hop after primary.

Wouldn't 20 minute additions give more flavour then 10 though??

*Using this graph...

hop_utilization.jpg

Taking out 150g of Cara-aroma won't lose you 7 EBC's. Even in 4L you'll only get 1030, if you use the grains/dex in the OP you need to use 3L. I usually use 350g crystal malt and 500g DME/ dex in 5L for the boil SG of 1040.
That graph is just a guide, not accurate. The black line on this one was calculated using BS/ Tinseth. The first one seemed backwards :icon_cheers:

hop_util_rev_bsm_tin.jpg

Taking out 150g of Cara-aroma won't lose you 7 EBC's. Even in 4L you'll only get 1030, if you use the grains/dex in the OP you need to use 3L. I usually use 350g crystal malt and 500g DME/ dex in 5L for the boil SG of 1040.
That graph is just a guide, not accurate. The black line on this one was calculated using BS/ Tinseth. The first one seemed backwards :icon_cheers:

View attachment 38408

Cheers for the graph info.. just a quick question when i reomve 150g of cara-aroma from the original recipe Ianh's spreadsheet calculates the EBC to be 7.6 (this means if i just use 300g Cara-red my EBC will only be 8.1 which seems pretty low to me)

Is the spreadsheet wrong?

:huh:

Tis' a bit light if you're brewing to style, personally I wouldn't woory about it, but if you want it a bit darker you could chuck a little dark/medium crystal at it, IMO it would be more suited than the CaraAroma. I would put more than 100g in though.

300g Carared in 22L with 3kg LLME will give you about 8 SRM, is that about 20 EBC?
If you want it darker do as HB79 said and add a little dark crystal, 25g Black Patent will up it by 2 SRMs, or you can swap a can or two for Amber LME.
I only do 45L batches of extract.
This is the base I use for 45L APA [9 SRMs], if I want it darker more Amber, or add a little dark crystal. 500g carared + 250g DME is 1040 in 5L :icon_cheers:

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.25 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3.70 %
3.00 kg Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 42.55 %
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 21.28 %
1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 21.28 %
0.50 kg Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.33 kg Dextrose [ Corn Sugar ] (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.26 %
2 Pkgs Safale American Ale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

SRM is just a different method to measure color. 8 SRM, like Glaab said, is about 20 EBC, which will be fine for this brew. The style guidlines state 5-14 SRM for an APA, which can be found here http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf Style 10A.

SRM is just a different method to measure color. 8 SRM, like Glaab said, is about 20 EBC, which will be fine for this brew. The style guidlines state 5-14 SRM for an APA, which can be found here http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf Style 10A.

Cheers for that...

I still only get 8.1 EBC (so say 4 SRM) from the 300g carared, where blaab has said he gets 20 SRM (so 40 EBC) from 500g. This is what i am finding confusing :huh:

I am not really that fussed if the beer turns out a bit on the light side..

Glaab is saying that he gets 9 SRM from 500g, but in a 45L batch, so what you're getting is correct. You have half the batch size and roughly half the amount of CaraRed.

Cheers for that...

where blaab has said he gets 20 SRM (so 40 EBC) from 500g. This is what i am finding confusing :huh:

You're mistaking SRM for EBC here, 8 SRM which is roughly 20 EBC

You're mistaking SRM for EBC here, 8 SRM which is roughly 20 EBC

.00 kg Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 42.55 %
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 21.28 %
1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 21.28 %
0.50 kg Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %

This what i was going by? should it be 8 SRM?

well I looked into it and the EBC's in the spreadsheet are wrong, but they are also wrong in BSmith [for Coopers LME]. The EBCs of Coopers Pale and Wheat are 5.3 and 6.5 which still turns out light. I usually select Pale LME in BS which is darker than the Coopers LLME as it turns out. If you use Coopers Amber instead of light you'll get about 20EBC's. After changing the SRM's in BS I still get 8.9SRM's for the base recipe below so it wasn't that far out. Sorry about that Coach. Where in Adelaide are you from?

Latest posts

Back