1st Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I looked into it and the EBC's in the spreadsheet are wrong, but they are also wrong in BSmith [for Coopers LME]. The EBCs of Coopers Pale and Wheat are 5.3 and 6.5 which still turns out light. I usually select Pale LME in BS which is darker than the Coopers LLME as it turns out. If you use Coopers Amber instead of light you'll get about 20EBC's. After changing the SRM's in BS I still get 8.9SRM's for the base recipe below so it wasn't that far out. Sorry about that Coach. Where in Adelaide are you from?

Cheers for all the help :icon_cheers:

Live @ Para Hills West (interesting note, i just found out that the Beard and Brau brewery (http://www.beardandbrau.com.au/) is also located in Para Hills West) which i have yet to come across ahha

I have entered your recipe in ianh's spreadsheet.
I have used English IPA as the style,brew volume 23 litres.
The style calls for a BV (balance value) of 1.76.
A BU of 50 IBU's.
Your recipe gives a BV (balance value) of 3.36 against a style value of 1.76.
Your IBU's comes out at 79.1 against a style of 50 IBU's.
I love hoppy beer but this recipe should knock your socks off.
Happy brewing.

I have entered your recipe in ianh's spreadsheet.
I have used English IPA as the style,brew volume 23 litres.
The style calls for a BV (balance value) of 1.76.
A BU of 50 IBU's.
Your recipe gives a BV (balance value) of 3.36 against a style value of 1.76.
Your IBU's comes out at 79.1 against a style of 50 IBU's.
I love hoppy beer but this recipe should knock your socks off.
Happy brewing.

I Think this may be because you have the hop concentration (HCF) turned off...

I think that if you are doing a boil it changes this to 42.7 (thats with a boil volume of 4L) which i will be changing to 6 and changing the hop additions as necessary

Ok... So after the help i received (cheers!), i have decided to make a few minor changes to the recipe and see how it goes. :icon_cheers:

1x 1.5kg Coopers Wheat LME
1x 1.5kg Coopers Light LME

300g x Carared
100g x Caraaroma (just for that little extra bit of colour)
100g x Carapils (just becuase i already have it and may aswell use it)
250g x Dex

25g POR @ 60 mins
30g Amarillo @ 20 mins
20g Cascade @ 20 mins
30g Amarillo @ 5 mins
20g Cascade @ 5 mins

US05 Yeast

This gives me an IBU of 38.6, EBC of 13.4 and Alc @ 5.3% (bottled)
*Boil volume of 6L

May dry hop aswell, but will prob wait and see how it tastes after primary then make a decision..

Will post back in a month or so when i start drinking :icon_drunk:

So i've got this one going in the fermenter right now, it's been in there for a week took a gravity reading last night (1.010) and noticed that the colour i was hoping to come out of the Carared wasn't there.. It was a real golden straw colour (tasted great though)

though when i steeped my grains and did the boil (before mixing the tins in) it was quite red.. Just wondering if the 2 extract tins would have cancelled out this great red colour and the 17L of water added to make up 23litres would have diluted it all out??

Or is it just i need a whole lot more carared for the colour to show through??

I'm surprised it got down to 1010 with that Coopers goo in there, mine usually finish around 1013.
You probably got about 8SRM, I wouldn't add more Carared than you did, if you used a whole kilo you'd only get another 2SRM. Carared is great for head retention and body/ mouthfeel, I find 300g in 6gal is plenty to get that. Coopers Amber LME is ok in an APA if you want it darker, by about 2.5 SRM/6gal when you sub 1 can for the LLME.

I'm surprised it got down to 1010 with that Coopers goo in there, mine usually finish around 1013.

Yeah i was suprised to, from what i'd read around the place most people say they finish a little higher.. I did check my hydrometer and it is definately a correct reading.

Also i decided saturday morning to dry hop, i added 10g of amarillo and 10g of cascade straight into the fermenter so we'll see how that goes.

Looks like i'm going to bottle thursday night so that will have been for 5days (total 14 days in the fermenter)

So here it is, my 1st extract!

3_week_CE_Golden__.JPG

Must say pretty chuffed with myself haha.. The photo shows the beer after almost 3 weeks in the bottle. It tastes great, real caramel taste to begin with and then round out with nice crisp bitterness and the fruity aftertaste from the Cascade/Amarillo.

I have an amber ale almost ready to bottle now and i am thinking of trying a LCPA "clone" next week.. the brewing bug has definately bitten!!

Cheers All :icon_cheers:

That looks and sounds the goods, bloke. Well done.

Looks effin' awesome mate, should go down well whilst playin' a game of snooker

:icon_offtopic: What size table?

Looks effin' awesome mate, should go down well whilst playin' a game of snooker

:icon_offtopic: What size table?

Yeah will go down perfect for that :icon_drunk:

The table is an 9ft by 4.6ft, definately one of my best investments!!

Yeah will go down perfect for that :icon_drunk:

The table is an 9ft by 4.6ft, definately one of my best investments!!

That's only one under full size isn't it? Very nice

Back