1st All Grain!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWC

Reaction score
Finally did it yesterday. I first looked at AG more than 10yrs ago, but it was all to hard then.
I did Dr Smurto's Golden Ale by BIAB in a 50l kettle.
Ill do BIAB 'till I get my other two vessels built.
It didn't run as smoothly as I had hoped, nor was I as well organized as I should have been.
It took about 5hrs from start to finish( no chill)
I was aiming for 66deg mash and hit 67(not bad I thought), and it dropped to 65 over 90 minutes.
Raised to 78 for mashout and held for 10 mins. Boiled for 90 mins
Water measurement was not real accurate(within a couple of litres) so I don't know if this affected my efficency or not.
I was aiming for 1.050 and got low 40's.
It will be in the fermenter tonight.
All in all it was an enjoyable start to AG, but I won't start the next one at 3pm!!!!!
Cheers

Dave

well done and welcome to AG, I did the Golden Ale as my first (4 weeks ago) AG.

don't forget the pictures.

cheers
Matt

Welcome to the darkside. My first AG was a Yorkshire Bitter. I was surprised that the wort tasted nothing like the kit n kilo wort I was used to, it just didn't taste sweet enough. I thought that the mash had somehow 'failed' so I whacked in 600g of dex just to make sure.
My buddy came round for the great unveiling and after four pints each we were just about crawling on hands and knees :lol: :lol:

I gave a bottle of my first AG to fellow forumer "WarmBeer" a couple of weeks back (a brown/amber ******* ale). After a heap of hassling him for a review, he came back and said that he couldn't find it and he must have drunk it without noticing.

Personally, I think it was just an excuse cause he wanted another bottle. I gave him another one, grudgingly.

(My) Best. Brew. Ever.

Bottled the second Saturday. This one was also my first attempt at a true lager. A bottling incident (the valve on the bottling wand came off into a bottle) meant that I had to drink a full glass straight from the fermenter. It was a chore... Not! :)

Latest posts

Back