18 Degrees Constant Temperate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't mind Cocko,

btw: I really like the avatar picture of Alex Grey's work :D

Yep, Alex Grey is the bidness!! Actually maybe Giger has some call aswell!!!

Yeah its common for threads to go off line.....

Its just that Butters dude, never adds anything of value and only ever post 1 or 2 word replys!!! ;)
:lol: :lol:

I'm on my way, if that helps ;)

out of beer :( drinking McWilliams Fruitwood wine, 5 dollars a bottle. ;)

I have a bubble now every so often I go and have a look, these two-piece brigalow airlocks are stupid? I still don't really get them, the coopers ones are much better/easier.

Hey butters, Cocko's got you sorted I see :D

I've used both airlocks and dont mind either. I normally use the 's' type ones because they are normally 'to hand'

Speaking about temps Quantocks, I think you've probably got the perfect spot right where your fermenter is. Ive got mine in an old fridge with a heat source (thanks butters) and a timer to keep it up in the 18 - 20 degree region for fermentation ( the fridge works well enough to keep the fermenters around 20 degrees in the height of summer as well). Just give the yeast time to do its job.

If you want to purchase a better yeast, by all means go right ahead. You'll get heaps of suggestions on the forum because it seems everyone has their favourite. A different yeast will also give you a different flavour profile to your beer. So get out there and experiment :lol:

:icon_offtopic: sheesh!! it sound like you were all having quite a party tonight while some of us were working!!

nein nein nein Genosse buttersd70

Erstens - 0.5g of dried Hefe fror effry Liter of Bier
Zweitens - rehydrate in 10 times its weight in plain Wasser (zum Beispiel 11.5g Hefe und 115ml Wasser at 35 Grad C) fuer 20 Minuten
Drittens - kein Zucker, no sugar, niente
Viertens - add a squirt of wort to the Glas, do zat drei mal
Letztens - pitch die Hefe at 30 Minuten, NO longer

tdh

:p

Sechsens - zwei Tage mit kein good hefe much zu viel ist, nasty infection untergespreading

We don't want to proof the yeast either, leave that to the baker.

Just rehydrate and attemperate. Don't expect the yeast to do things it isn't ready to do.

If it sits at the bottom of the glass then it's knackered.

Just rehydrate and attemperate.

Adding wort at 20 minutes is to slowly reduce the yeast temp to within 5*C of the wort in your fermenter. Not to get it bubbling and foaming and get us all excited that there's mass activity in the glass.

I've met dozens of homebrewers who are so proud of their brew bubbling through the airlock in under an hour. Doesn't mean there was necessarily going to be good beer being made.
I once worked for a fat know-all-knob who preached to hundreds of brewers piss poor feel-good techniques and he still can't make beer to save his lazy hide.

tdh

tdh,
same thing, slightly different timing. And as far as the addition is concerned, as long as the cell wall has been strengthened, it doesn't matter what type of sugar is introduced, as long as it is a monosaccharide. Its only for yeast proofing, and its a squirt or a pinch. six of one, 1/2 doz of the other.

I once worked for a fat know-all-knob who preached to hundreds of brewers piss poor feel-good techniques and he still can't make beer to save his lazy hide.
Are you saying that this is what I'm doing, tdh? If so, sorry I ventured a f'n opinon.

No no, not referring to you at all.
Seriously.
I did digress and didn't intend to make a comparison between you and him.

tdh

Are you saying that this is what I'm doing, tdh? If so, sorry I ventured a f'n opinon.

No no, not referring to you at all.
Seriously.
I did digress and didn't intend to make a comparison between you and him.

tdh

Ok, thats how I interpereted the comment when I initially read it. But I'll happily accept that was not how it was meant. All is cool.

Latest posts

Back