16g co2 portable keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel0395

Reaction score
Hey guys, just looking into the portable keg chargers and just wondering how long a 16gc02 cartridge lasts? Will it disperse my 20l keg? Also just wondering if the ones sold for bike tyres would be okay to use?

Cheers

Shoot Danwood a PM, he organised a bulk buy a little while ago and was certainly a cheap way to go.

TBH, I think Im heading toward getting a small bottle for my party setup, those little keg chargers are a lot of effing trouble at the end of the day.. Ive lost numerous bulbs due to a disconnect malfunction or some such thing, at least with a bigger bottle you can shut it off.

dunno about the tyre ones, pretty sure you'll want food grade bulbs? I think the only difference is the inside of the bulb is coated or something like that.

I got the last lot from Finewhip. Food grade C02.

I usually use 2-3 to dispense 19L.

Don't leave them connected between uses IMO. I found my kegking gas disconnects were leaking...I think I was on bulb no.5 before I realized !

I'm using mine mostly for 9.5 L atm...about 1 bulb for the whole keg.

I just ordered a box of the 16g food grade cartridges from Finewhip yesterday.

I recently bought the mini charger with built in reg

Will only be used for my 9L keg which will be carbonated from my main bottle

As mentioned, use the food grade CO2 from finewhip, or similar.

If the keg is already carbed it doesn't take too much CO2 to dispense. I used to use the bulbs for portable kegs but have since got a small KK CO2 bottle for the kegs. It's a lot harder now for randoms to come along and push the CO2 dispenser, overcarbing your beer and wasting a bulb. They're also set-and-forget and allow for a constant flow, rather than little bursts of CO2 from the bulbs, which can end up a little bit fiddly to get right.

YMMV.

EDIT: I have looked at those regulated CO2 chargers BB mentioned above but have never used one. They're probably worth the extra $$ for a little more control over the CO2 output.

I've just upgraded to a soda stream setup from a keg charger purely for the set-and-forget-edness of it. I will keep the keg charger for backup.

If I was being stingy I would dispense a 9.5L keg with one bulb but f*** stingy!

I use push bike bulbs.

What's the difference if u plan on only using it for dispensing and your drinking the keg in a few hours.
I wouldn't use the non food grade ones if I planned on leaving the gas in the keg for days, but for a party where the keg will be consumed, why not.

Also I have both the 'food grade' ordered from finewhip and ones purchased from the local cycle shop for cheaper, both sitting in the shed, and they look exactly the same, nickel/goldy colour with no markings, so who knows if they actually are 'food grade'.

I used 3 bulbs for 19L cider, but there was a fair bit of pressure in the keg already, and I would have wasted a little as the drunk in charge of the keg didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Initially interested in this, can someone advise how many 16g cylinders needed to carbonate a 9l keg using a regulator charge kit where pressure can be set and flow turned off.
Thanks.

Mate you certainly don't want to be carbonating with these - it'll cost you a fortune real quick.

I can dispense a 9L keg with one bulb if I'm very careful but normally end up using 2 because I can.

Thanks Parks, so best to naturally carb. until purchase of gas bottle/reg. etc. I believe about 30gms of dex for this?
Cheers

Just noted that Brewcraft state that with their 5l PET keg system you use 2 x 8gms to carbonate and 2 to dispense, if this is correct this would equate to 2 x 16gm for a 9l? Would this be right? Not the cheapest long term method but want to try co2 carbonated beer before lashing out.
Cheers

When I used to use bulbs on my party kegs, I think if you are *very* careful, never release the pressure, and don't over pressurize, you can dispense a 9.5L with a single bulb and a 19L with 2.

As soon as you release the pressure though, you've wasted it :) and you will need to release the pressure when some smarty pants pulls the trigger to either a) see what happens or b) to make the beer dispense faster.

The trick is you do need to tap the button to make the beer dispense faster once it slows down... but its just a small squeeze, not a full press.

Anyway, my charger is now the emergency backup... after the backup 800g CO2 bottle.

grott said:
Just noted that Brewcraft state that with their 5l PET keg system you use 2 x 8gms to carbonate and 2 to dispense, if this is correct this would equate to 2 x 16gm for a 9l? Would this be right? Not the cheapest long term method but want to try co2 carbonated beer before lashing out.
Cheers
Qld Kev has a handy calculator on his site

http://qldkev.net/co2.php

Thanks Stux & Black n Tan, really appreciate info., that calculator seems top, thanks again. Starting to go into kegs is exciting but initially a real brain ****.
Cheers

Sorry to say but those regulated ones are junk. I had 4 of them and sent them back. They didn't regulate at all.

Hopefully you have more joy than I did

Has anyone tried the 65g bulbs on these as I'd be interested if they were the same thread and whether they could be used with the bulb cover thing removed

Moad said:
Sorry to say but those regulated ones are junk. I had 4 of them and sent them back. They didn't regulate at all.

Hopefully you have more joy than I did
I only intent using this in the short term until I have the total cash for a micromatic regulator and co2 bottle, just hope it works that long.
Cheers

Well QldKev's calculator is fairly accurate (thanks for that), just over 2 cylinders to carb up, on first for dispensing. You keg buggers :) have got me hooked, I filled the keg Monday morning ( Coopers English Bitter) straight from the fermenter and chilled in the fridge whilst carbonating, drinking some today, excellent head, carbonation, lacing and so fresh/crisp. I will now start to invest in the co2 bottle/reg, more kegs etc but have time to accumulate funds as I have 190 English Bitter longneck bottles that need to be drunk. So all is good. :D :chug: pics of first pour and it gets better.

WP_000387.jpg

WP_000388.jpg

WP_000389.jpg

Latest posts

Back