150 Lashes Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get hold of a Woodfordes Wherry kit.... From Muntons in England, just do that it's a dead ringer for Lashes.

From the james squire website:

STYLE Australian pale ale
HOPS Amarillo, Willamette, Nelson Sauvin , Galaxy
MALTS Pale, Munich, Wheat

Spoke to the brewers at the beer festival and they clarified that they use lagar yeasts at high temp. Around 15 16 degree s

Ok, so this had been in the keg for quite a while now and is only now beginning to taste good.
Impressions veeeery hoppy. to the point of tasting like grass. (grass taste has only dissapeared in the last few days)
Way too dark, and too bitter.
All this being said, its nice, but a little to bitter for my taste( after 2 or 3 I seem to care less about the bitterness, what's that about? :p )

I think the next one will lose the crystal, and use carapils instead. And I wont be dry hopping again, until I purchase a filter.

All in all, not a failure, but not what I had envisioned. I have a 6pack of 150s here at the moment, so tomorrow I'll pour a genuin 150, and my 150 side by side and take a photo for colour comparison.

Regards
Jason

mrsupraboy said:
Spoke to the brewers at the beer festival and they clarified that they use lagar yeasts at high temp. Around 15 16 degree s
I dare say they are fermenting under pressure therefore higher temps can be used, so if you were going to head down this path I'd probably go with danish lager around 12c.

MB

after tasting them back to back, my effort isn't too far off. tastes ok by itself, but after a real JS150, it tastes green. I'll give it a few more weeks and see where we sit. (mines on the left)

js150attempt.jpg

I love these clone experiments, good work J'sGarage and cheers for sharing the results.

If you didn't want to drop the crystal completely, you could try a light crystal (aka crystal 40). Brewers choice (where I think you are shopping since you are buying 'grain packs') sells it but you might have to ask for it to be milled special. Carapils will work fine but light crystal shouldn't effect the colour too much while still giving you that hint of sweetness in a 150 lashes.

Some of that darker colour might also be coming from the malt in the draught kit too, perhaps a pale or blonde kit might have the lighter malts you're looking for.

As for the info on the JS taps and website, I'm not sure I credit them as being totally honest. I don't blame them for wanting to preserve trade secrets and I was at the newly opened 'Charming Squire' bar in South Brisbane yesterday where they've got hop and malt info for each beer up on big boards behind the bar.

They claim that the jack of spades is single hopped with Dr Rudi (aka Super Alpha) where-as I'm fairly certain it's good ol' Willamette. So I'd be taking any info they released with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Keep trying sir and let us know if there's a version 2.0 of your clone attempt :)

Latest posts

Back