12 Hour Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenwood

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here.
I have a mate who reckons he can brew a beer and have it ready to drink in 12 hours by doing it in a keg-fridge.
To me this sounds a bit ridiculous and I was wondering if any of you have heard about this kind of thing and if it is possible.
Would the beer be allot worse then a normal brewing process?

Ken

Hello all,

First post here.
I have a mate who reckons he can brew a beer and have it ready to drink in 12 hours by doing it in a keg-fridge.
To me this sounds a bit ridiculous and I was wondering if any of you have heard about this kind of thing and if it is possible.
Would the beer be allot worse then a normal brewing process?

Ken

how much alcohol does something have to have to be called a 'beer'?
and does it have to be bubbly? or flat is ok?

If you were talking about beer that has finished fermenting and comparing bottling beer to kegging beer, yes it's possible.

However - just in terms of yeast fermentation - in 12 hours (most) yeast is only just starting to ferment wort, and even the most active yeasts usually take 2-4 days to finish primary fermentation. If you then add any all the other time consuming tasks such as preparing the beer (which would have to be done via a kit), transferring it to the keg, and force-carbonating, 12 hours from start to drinking would mean that you are essentially drinking virtually alcohol free cordial directly from the tin. I'm sure it can and has been done, however it's not really what most people would call 'beer'.

You would have to pitch a lot of yeast imo to get enough alcohol in a short space of time - then boil , chill, keg, force carb... but quality of product may not be there.

I have a mate who can lick her own elbow.

Can your mate lick his own elbow ?

Back in the 70`s & I was a kid my father used to brew
One of the brews he made was a kit called "7 day Wonder"
The idea was from putting the kit down you could be drinking beer in 7 days
I once asked him if it worked
He said "in a sort of a way .............. you can drink it in 7 days .............. but you can also drink urine in 7 days & I know which one tastes better"

No I don't have a mate that can lick his elbow lol.
I didn't think it was possible but thought I would see if anyone had heard about this kind of thing.
Thanks for the fast replies.

Latest posts

Back