1099 - Flocculant Starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
I have a 1099 yeast on the go and its the first time i have used it, the plan is a English Pale Ale for a change to my mainstream APA's. Now i use USALE1/2 99% of the time and this english strain seems to have formed clumps in the starter ( on a stir plate)

Is this normal?
I used it via a slant and built it up, smells fine just the clumps have me a bit worried it may floc out well before the jobs done...

And for interest here is the stir plate with temp control and LCD ( its hot as the temps here in sunny ol Melbourne are hot today) the temp is adjustable as is speed.

Next version will have cooling also to maintain the correct temp - more so for fun than required

beer_003.jpg

beer_005.jpg

I'd love to help. I've used 1099 a fair bit and love it. However, I can't say I've used a stirplate ever or noticed my 1099 starters looking unusual but I have seen clumping in starters (particularly UK yeasts) that haven't seemed to affect the final product. My rule of thumb = tastes fine, smells fine, is fine.

that sounds like Fine advice Manticle.

I will try it out and hopefully its all good. I might have a back up yeast ready if it flocs out before the jobs done

that sounds like Fine advice Manticle.

I will try it out and hopefully its all good. I might have a back up yeast ready if it flocs out before the jobs done

Hi Gout,

I have used it a bit and it can floc out during fermentation.
I have roused it by stirring gently with a "clean" spoon half way thru ferment.
It will produce a very clear beer.
I cannot help you with any advice on the clumping.
I dont use it any more because I really couldn't tell any difference between it and the dry yeast SO4 therefore
I just tend to take the easy option these days.

Cheers

Doh i will be brewing 80Lt so i can not stir it really but i might add a US ale on day 5 to make sure it finishes off the job.

time to start washing the brewery - god i hate cleaning kegs, fermenters and brewery

Latest posts

Back