1056 V 1272

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just brewing a batch right now with 1056.
I have never used it before. Wanted to see the difference a decent yeast might make.
Just a simple coopers draught, ldme, dextrose and a bit of crystal.
I had action after 1 day and it has been on now for 14 days at about 19deg.
OG was 1042 and yesterday it was down to 1010.
The thing is its still bubbling every 30 seconds and still has foam.

Is this good or bad??

I am just brewing a batch right now with 1056.
I have never used it before. Wanted to see the difference a decent yeast might make.
Just a simple coopers draught, ldme, dextrose and a bit of crystal.
I had action after 1 day and it has been on now for 14 days at about 19deg.
OG was 1042 and yesterday it was down to 1010.
The thing is its still bubbling every 30 seconds and still has foam.

Is this good or bad??

If you take a gravity reading over a 2 or 3 days and it remains the same then your beer has finished fermenting.
By the looks of your recipe and the fact that you have been going for 19 days I would say get ready to bottle/keg/condition.

C&B
TDA

I've used both quite a number of times on the same recipe and would say that the 1272 has is fruitier than the 1056 as this description states.

A much more fruity and flocculent yeast than 1056. At warmer temperatures the intense fruitiness accentuates hop character.

Attenuation 72-76%
Flocculation: high
Temperature range: 60-72F(15-22C)

I've often alternated between the two over the years.

devo

I like the bit about "accentuates hop character" exactly what I'm looking for.I think I missed that in my
original reading of the wyeast site.

Is warmer 20c or higher,I have always used 1056 at 18c

Cheers

Hmmmmm.

Sometimes my stupidity surprises even me.

Got 3 vials of yeast from BenH and up until yesterday i thought/assumed they were 1275 thames valley ale but on closer inspection over a beer with BenH i realised they are in fact 1272!

Will give it a whirl in my Golden Ale which i have tried with 1056 and US56 so will be interesting to see what (if any) differences there are.

The 1272 is fermenting away,a couple of days in.My first impression is the overwhelming apricot aroma wafting from it.

While the 1056 always threw off nice fruity aromas,with chinook,armarillo and cascade could never pick a singular smell.Will have to clear the schedule and brew a double batch to split these these yeasts.

Back