1056 V 1272

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoohaaman

Reaction score
Have used 1056 for years,it's my workhorse yeast of choice.Always have found the result excellent.

I have run out,but have 1272,for those that have used both,are the results similar?what nuances does 1272 throw up?Or are they so similar,the difference wont be noticed?

Is the better flocculation worth changing to 1272?

Not a huge fan of 1056, it doesn't really excite me at all.
Even less of a fan of 1272 which I have used several times, it smells awesome, particularly in apa's giving a really fruity aroma, but it has this after taste I just don't like, though some people really love it!

If you have never tried 1272 Go for it! you maybe one of those who loves it.

Cheers,
BB

Well it's smacked,I'll slant and pitch the balance.

You an English ale man BB?

INTERESTED TOO.
According to wyeast it is a bit fruitier an nuttier and a bit tart.

I dont mind APA's that are a bit drier and tart comes a cross as sour in my palate...

It would probably suit bigger beers than beers brewed with 1056.

Matti my thoughts also,drier nuttier and sour appealed to me :D

I do love my APA's tho.Looking to expand

Not a huge fan of 1056, it doesn't really excite me at all.
Even less of a fan of 1272 which I have used several times, it smells awesome, particularly in apa's giving a really fruity aroma, but it has this after taste I just don't like, though some people really love it!

If you have never tried 1272 Go for it! you maybe one of those who loves it.

Cheers,
BB

So if you don't use either, what do you use for APA's???

BYB

hoohaaman

Its a nice yeast and will make a great APA. To my tastes a little more like an English strain, in fact makes an OK bitter too.

Just expect something markedly different to 1056 though you won't be let down in any way.

Warren -

Warren,the only English ale i have ever tried is "old speckled Hen" unfortunately it was sunburnt.

Not surprising the bottle they use.

But did get a feel for the malts evident in a pommy ale.Have tasted a fair few Scottish 80/ ales.

In my brewery I tend not too lean towards UK beers(probably because i've never been given a good one)can you suggest one I can try available here.That travels well

I feel I'm missing out on this amazing beer from the UK.I always see the Uk yeasts.

Dans has a shit supply of UK beer.So can't even taste test it

Warren,the only English ale i have ever tried is "old speckled Hen" unfortunately it was sunburnt.

Not surprising the bottle they use.

But did get a feel for the malts evident in a pommy ale.Have tasted a fair few Scottish 80/ ales.

In my brewery I tend not too lean towards UK beers(probably because i've never been given a good one)can you suggest one I can try available here.That travels well

I feel I'm missing out on this amazing beer from the UK.I always see the Uk yeasts.

Dans has a shit supply of UK beer.So can't even taste test it

Fill in your location and somebody may be able to point you to where you can buy English Ale.
My nearest Dan Murphy's usually has Fullers London Pride, Fullers ESB, Wychwood Hobgoblin , Youngs London Bitter and Chocolate Stout and some of the Black Sheep range.

Regards

Graeme

Several years ago when1272 was first around, there were pages and pages of threads comparing against 1056 on here, with several people doing split batches and comparing, see if you can dig them up.

Well it's smacked,I'll slant and pitch the balance.

You an English ale man BB?

So if you don't use either, what do you use for APA's???

BYB

I confess, I generally prefer the pommy yeasts, I use WY1335 or 1028 for APA's, obviously a personal taste thing, :ph34r: 1056 is ok, its just a bit "ho hum" to me.

I had many attempts using 1272 thinking "I'm doing something wrong here?" but it always had this disagreeable aftertaste, so I gave up.

I have just recently got a pack of 2450 "Denny's Fav" looking forward to trying this in a few apa's and IPA's.

Cheers,
BB

I only used 1272 a couple of times and it was a while ago but I got reasonable level of diacetyl out of it. That could have been the result of my process also though. I like to use the Wyeast 1318(London III) in my American ales. Gives a little fruitiness, attenuates fairly well and still leaves a bit of body.

I preety much just use dried yeast now but when I was using liquid I preferd 1272 over 1056. Only ever used it in APAs.

I only used 1272 a couple of times and it was a while ago but I got reasonable level of diacetyl out of it. That could have been the result of my process also though. I like to use the Wyeast 1318(London III) in my American ales. Gives a little fruitiness, attenuates fairly well and still leaves a bit of body.

I've been using 1318 in an English bitter and brown ale over the past month or two and loving it!
It does have a mild fruitiness which in an apa sounds very nice, must try that!

BB

I've used 1272 a few times now and I think it's a great yeast. As others have said, more fruitiness than 1056 (or at least than US-05 which I've used) but not as much as British strains. Never used it in a bitter but maybe I'll give it a try. It's certainly good in an APA and it worked well in a raspberry blonde. Drops clear quickly. Good yeast IMO. :beerbang:

I've used 1272 a few times now and I think it's a great yeast. As others have said, more fruitiness than 1056 (or at least than US-05 which I've used) but not as much as British strains. Never used it in a bitter but maybe I'll give it a try. It's certainly good in an APA and it worked well in a raspberry blonde. Drops clear quickly. Good yeast IMO. :beerbang:

+1

Thanks for feed back guys,got a nice 2lt starter ready for double batch of Chinook,amarillo and cascade apa.

Gap I'm in Melbourne,I thought Dan's would have had a GOOD selection of UK ales.

BoilerBoy,1056 I was happy with as a neutral yeast but getting bland for me too.I've used 1728 extensively,but would like to
try some different pommy yeasts.Whats a good versatile yeast for both english ales and apa's ? 1318 sounds tasty.
I have far too many yeasts,I need to consolidate my library ;)

Mika,thanks for the, link will read it when I have some time spare.When I have even more spare time,will do a double batch split it and innoculate half each with 1056 and 1272.

Thanks Gents

I agree that 1056 is a very neutral yeast but in an APA I would much prefer the fruitiness to come from the hops and not the yeast. I have never tried the 1272 for myself.

C&B
TDA

I've used both quite a number of times on the same recipe and would say that the 1272 has is fruitier than the 1056 as this description states.

A much more fruity and flocculent yeast than 1056. At warmer temperatures the intense fruitiness accentuates hop character.

Attenuation 72-76%
Flocculation: high
Temperature range: 60-72F(15-22C)

I've often alternated between the two over the years.

devo

Latest posts

Back