1012 Final Sg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started brewing from kits, I found the following tips helpful:

1. Throw away the instructions.
2. Boil the kit yeast and pitch a better yeast.
3. Use malt in place of sugar.
4. Let the beer ferment in primary for AT LEAST one week (preferably two, but not much more).
5. RDWHAHB (Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew).

hehehehe lots of advice.

First kit yeast. At 20c dry yeast loses 20% of its vitality in a year, in the fridge it only loses 2%, so a kit that has gone through a hot Austalian summer might be half dead! Boiling the kit yeast, not in the contents of the kit, I never suggested that, but in the contents of the "booster Pack" i.e. the malts/sugars you add to the kit does provide good nutrients for the pack of real yeast you pitch. Best idea is, when you see a shop has fresh kits, buy a bunch, rip the lids of and put the yeasts in the fridge. Then pitch two packets per brew. But most kit yeasts are not much good, IMHO

Rehydrate dried yeast, at 30C for DCL yeasts and 40C for Danstar yeasts. Sprinkle the yeast on top of 10 times as much water by weight as the yeast (i.e. 120ml for a 12g packet) let stand for 15-20 minutes then stir and pitch into the beer. This is not a starter, BTW, never make a starter from dried yeast, you are going backwards.

Aeration. I don't much believe in shaking or whipping the beer. I drop it from one fermenter into one a metre below it--sanitise your bottling tube (minus valve) and insert into the tap of the top fermenter, forms the wort into a nice thin stream. For high grav worts (OG 1050+) I insert my aerating tube into the tap (bottling tube with 4 holes drilled around the circumference 2" below the top, another 4 holes 1/2" below that and a third set 1/2" below the second. I can adjust the rate of flow so I can actually HEAR air getting sucked into the wort falling pasted the holes!

23g of dry yeast is needed to fully ferment 23L of beer, but you can get away with 12g and good aeration.

Hydrometer samples I take using a turkey baster, a guy on the UK Alelist drills a hole in his fermenters and fits a second tap to take hydrometer samples. If you draw off a sample through your tap then you leave wort behind that will dry out and provide a haven for bugs. Bottle or rack through that tap and infect a complete batch. Take your reading, taste the wort or beer, chuck the rest on the garden, not back into the fermenter!!

I suggest you join CAMRA (www.camra.org.uk) and buy "Homebrewing" "Brew English Beers" "Brew European Beers" all by Wheeler & Protz and "IPA" and "Stouts and Porters" by LaPensee and Protz and "Real Ale Almanac" by Roger Protz. You won't be able to make much use of the last 3 initially but it is a cheap way to get them all.

Jovial Monk

Cheers guys, I appreciate all your valuable advice. I have learned more in the last couple of days through this topic and a few others on this site than I have learned in the past few months reading homebrew books. I will be printing this entire topic and a few others and picking all the advise out and formulating a bit of a procedure for myself.

I spose the thing that really messed with my head was that rule #1 is through the kit instructions out the window....... :blink: and that I have been so far from a better method. No wonder I have been having trouble. I thought my beer was not to bad but now i'm thinking how much better it could be.

I have to be honest and say I still don't 100% understand about the yeast process but i'm reading up a lot more about it now. I will also be off to my HBS this week to inquire as to some non standard kit yeasts that they may be able to put me onto.

Thanks again for everyones help. I'm sure other newbies will benefit from this topic also.

Cheers,
Booga.

Latest posts

Back