100% Rye

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey all.
Has anyone made a 100% rye beer?
Or would it be an overkill on the tastebuds?
Id be keen to have a go at it, but unsure on what hops to use with it and yeast.

I was thinking 5kg rye + hops + T-58 yeast, but open for ideas. cheers

Hey all.
Has anyone made a 100% rye beer?
Or would it be an overkill on the tastebuds?
Id be keen to have a go at it, but unsure on what hops to use with it and yeast.

I was thinking 5kg rye + hops + T-58 yeast, but open for ideas. cheers

don't do it to yourself...

Tony did a Roggenbier..

He nearly pulled all his hair out trying to sparge it.... virtually impossible

Yardy made a 100% rye. He never really spoke of it much.......... i think it may have scared him in ways only those brave enough to use lots of rye will ever know :)

Aparently it wasnt all that good either.

give one a go with 50%. crack the rye really fine, get about 1 cubic meter of rice gulls and plan nothing else for the day!

Its worth it when you finaly get into the glass and the bubbles move up at half the speed as normal :) Its like engine oil but is light and fluffy to drink. Amazing beer if you get it right.

Sparge really really slow as the rye holds onto its goodness and just wont give it up. I find all the good thickness comes out after you have finnished sparging but if you spend a couple hours sparging it will be all good.

cheers

I BIAB, so i should be able to spend some time on it, i was more worried about how it tastes... and, if the T-58 would suit the beer, or should i just run us05.
I have no idea on hops either for this style, i cant imagine it would be too hoppy.

give one a go with 50%. crack the rye really fine, get about 1 cubic meter of rice gulls and plan nothing else for the day!

Shiiite! I was planning a 40%'er next saturday before the BJCP exam shecduled on sunday to get a brew in for a little memory experience. Maybe i'll plan something else.

Just to show how manly i am i was going to go it without rice gulls. I would have been a sad sad panda! :rolleyes:

I would try to balance it with some noble hops Jiggy. Go a bittering addition only IMHO. Look up some roggen recipes for inspiration.

I say go for it ya Big Boof head!
:beerbang:

something like 30/40g magnum or n'brewer for 60m?

Just a suggestion but why not push the envelope a little rather than stomping the foot. Say go 60% rye and 40% base with N Brewer for bittering. That way if you like and think you can push it up more so be it? 2c Mate you do what you want to do.

Just a suggestion but why not push the envelope a little rather than stomping the foot. Say go 60% rye and 40% base with N Brewer for bittering. That way if you like and think you can push it up more so be it? 2c Mate you do what you want to do.

I hear ya mate... but i do like jumping in at the deep end...
It seems the roggens are medium hopped and some use a weizen yeast. hmmm
then they also mentioned in a few articles that it is almost impossible for a HB'er to make a 100% rye beer due to sparge, so depending if biab would help that out much i dunno.
I will ponder the idea. cheers

Mmmmm if anything will get you by it will be BIAB. Maybe its good for something.

It goes like clag glue in the mash but lifting a bag end letting it run out slowly? It may work.

A Roggen is a dunkelweisen with part of the wheat replaced by some rye malt. The one i made was 46% and my system was not up to spec for the job. What a stress, but it won me a few awards!

YEast for a roggen should be a wheat strain, but your not brewing to style with thaqt much rye so use what you want. T58 could work.

Id use a bunch of hallertau or tetnanger........ noble it up!

cheers

I think i will run with something like 4.5kg rye and 150g caramel wheat...
sounds good. Probably NB for bittering and i have some left over citra so i will run a couple of additions with that.
Still tossing up on the yeast... thinking maybe danstar munich / WB-06 / wyeast forbidden fruit...

sounds good. Probably NB for bittering and i have some left over citra so i will run a couple of additions with that.
Still tossing up on the yeast... thinking maybe danstar munich / WB-06 / wyeast forbidden fruit...

wyeast Forbidden fruit :icon_drool2:

Is it shite mate?

yep. it was shiter than the shitiest thing you've ever tried..

i'd go with Tony's advice and have a crack at 50% first, i've made a few roggens and T-58 is a yeast i wouldn't use again with rye but that's me, K-97 is a very underated yeast imho and i think works well with rye, go with tettnang if you have them, don't go overboard with the late addition though.

mash with an extra 500ml per kg than your normal mash, sparge hot (not too hot though) and slow also.

good luck

Dave

Latest posts

Back