100% Malted Wheat Beer What Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katzke

Reaction score
Our brew club is having a SMASH competition and I doubt any of them are looking here so I ask. I have got the wild idea of brewing with malted wheat for a SMASH (single malt and single hop) beer. I just can not put my brain onto a hop to use. I was hopping to get Saaz B or Motueka as it is called but cannot get that at my local shop. Ordering is out as it needs to be brewed soon. Sorachi Ace is out also. I am kind of stuck with traditional hops from the USA and a few NZ choices I do not think will work well. But give me your best ideas and I will see if I can get it. With a SMASH spices are out so all have is whatever flavor I will get from an all malted wheat beer and the hops. I do not care for Belgian yeast so am planning on good old US-05, yes it limits it even more.

Any ideas as to a hop choice for a mild 6% 100% malted wheat brew with clean yeast? I am not looking to do a wheat wine just a normal brew made with wheat.

Yes I am mad and know that wheat will stick up a mash. No malted wheat does not need barley to convert if you use the correct malted wheat. My secret is I use a bag so stuck sparges just are not in my vocabulary, unless talking to old fashioned brewers that still insist on using a mash tun.

Insults over give me some ideas. You can always brew it if it comes out with a pot full of rice gulls.

Oh, and I have a backup idea if this one does not work out, and a back up to that. That is just incase a club member may be looking. I do promote the site as much as possible.

What hops do you have at your disposal or can get at the shop? A ist of possibilities would help.

German noble hops like tettnang or hallertauer spring immediately to mind but I'm assuming that's so obvious you've considered and dismissed it for some reason (not available, want to do something different etc).

Otherwise I vote amarillo (only becasue it's delicious).

How about NZ Hallertau or Rakau.

Good luck with the 100% wheat mash. Let us know how it turns out with the BIAB method.

Something that the blokes may not think of (as most thinkg pale malt when thinking a smash) is doto a Munich Dunkel over a 100% beer with wheat.

100% Munich Malt
23 IBU of Hallertau added as a First Wort Hop.

Simple and effective.

if you still want to go the wheat route, wheat can convert itself completely as you are aware and a big BULK of rice hulls are the way to go. It might be best to focus on an American Style wheat beer if you dont want to go the Belgian route. In that instance you can use almost any hop that tickles you american and/or noble and simply US05.

Cheers

Are you going to adulterate all that lovely wheatiness with hop flavour and aroma?

I left a part out. I am not a fan of the grapefruit hops. Not a big thing but I am brewing this to drink and not just share with those that like the grapefruit citrus flavor. Plus I think the flavor of the wheat would not go very well with the grapefruit hops. Maybe I am making a judgement based on my dislike for very hoppy IPA's with those hops.

No I have not ruled out any hops other then the ones I listed that can not get. I do have a very good selection available and can find a substitute for most suggestions. I think Spalt and Hersbucker are out but would have to check on the Spalt.

Keep the suggestions coming. I like them so far even if I do not like the hop.

My experience (somewhat limited) of most US hops is that they are quite fruity and dominant. Which ones are more subtle like saaz?

Styrian Goldings might be another one. Maybe you could try a first wort hop with something and lessen any late additions.

Are you going to adulterate all that lovely wheatiness with hop flavour and aroma?

Not my intent at all. I am looking for a complimentary hop. I very much liked my Wits with low hop additions but they had Coriander and Orange Peal. Those would not be allowed in a SMASH so I am looking for some contribution from the hops.

Unfortunately my first choices are not available to me in time to brew. That is why I am asking for suggestions from all of you. Maybe there is a lurker that has done this before and has what they think is the perfect hop.

If I were doing this SMASH thing, I'd be inclined to go do a 100% Vienna Malt with EKG, but we're not talking about me here, so for 100% wheatie, maybe go the Czech Saazy route to get some noble spiciness into it without over-powering the wheat coming through. or on the otherside of the table, you could go with something like Nelson Sauvin to give a bit more 'uniqueness' to it.

I know you mentioned that you're not big on the grapefruit citrus type, but if you were, Simcoe would be an interesting hop to pair with it.

just a few ideas anyway, good luck and let us know what you decide on.

what about a dunkelweisse with 100% weyermann dark wheat?

Do you like German brewer's gold?

Speaking from limited experience so hold the flaming...

I read on here that excess amounts of Nelson Sauvin can make something taste either fruit salady or white winey.

I'm thinking based on this that a heap of Nelson Sauvin could take the place of the coriander/orange peel/etc associated with many wheat beers. So, you're not getting anything from the yeast, no spice additions, go OTT with a fruit salad sav blanc concotion from copious use of Nelson Sauvin

or an Altbier with 100% Munich malt and any German noble hop.

With a wheat beer, I like Saaz or Hallertau, but Perle, Magnum or Tettnang also are good, or Liberty.
W3068 or W3638 (preferred, for complexity).

Well just kegged my creation (Sunday night) and I think it came out a winner. I will post the recipe when I get the results of the competition on Friday. It is 100% malted wheat and Hallertau hops with US-05. Brewed in a bag and no issue with draining the grain. Hit my gravities as planned.

Latest posts

Back