10 litre no-chill cubes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just NCed in 2 BMW 10L (bunnings) and the lid on one of them skipped over the threads because the plastic became too soft meaning I couldn't get a proper seal. It sucked air but hopefully while it was hot enough to steam any bacteria. I expect it to be properly sealed now that it is cold and retightened. I've had this happen before on a 20L cube. Oddly enough they both use red lids, could it be that the ingredients to dye the plastic red make the plastic soft under heat, or maybe I just get angry when I see red like a bull. Either way I want to get a more reliable jerrycan.

Mine are the red lid version, but I don't store wort in them - always gets pitched the next day. If I were storing wort long term I'd get back into the Bacchus FWK style cubes. I've got a RIS wort in one of those that's been there since October 2011 - maybe I should get round to fermenting it sometime soon :D

My 10L BMW jerries had sealing problems as well (black lids, blue lids), fixed it with a few wraps of teflon tape and/ or keg lube. I use them for NC and fermenting.

I had that lid issue with one of the 10L ones. I found that it's very easy to cross-thread and that once I got it threaded right I could tighten it down fully. These little jerry's are great because you can lean them back and basically purge ALL air out.

i got a $4, 10L springwater cube with tap from coles the other day, and once drunk, was considering using it for no chilling - seems thinner than the normal jerrys though so i'm concerned about it bending too badly/lid not sealing. anyone had luck with one of these guys?

It will probably melt. Make sure you wear rubber boots and no toddlers or small animals in the vicinity.

felten said:
Is it HDPE?
i was gonna test it very carefully with boiling water but i'm not sure if it's HDPE. had a quick wiki and saw that it should show a number 2 if it is. i'll look for that tonight.

FWIW:
Bought 2 of the 10L cubes ($10 each) from bunnings last week plus an open-top 30L cube ($19?) for fermenting. I found the caps were all fine, but the taps could easily pop loose in the 10L cubes.
So I pulled the tap out of my original 33L fermenter and tried that - sealed perfectly.
I also found the lid on the 30L open-top wouldn't seal airtight because of the join-mark; so I had to carve/file it back a bit.

I brewed 10L on Sunday & no-chilled in a cube for 2 days. All good. It's currently fermenting in the new fermenter. Also all good.
I'll have to try the plumbing tape on the tap thread - see if that'll solve the problem.

my coles 10L one has the 2 and actually states HDPE - i'm guessing that's okay then felten? seems thinner than the jerry cans from bunnings and the like but i might test with water now

Make sure you test with near-boiling liquid because that's what you intend to put into it.

Bribie G said:
Make sure you test with near-boiling liquid because that's what you intend to put into it.
cheers bribie, yeah i'm about to do this now. i'll see how she goes and be careful too.

well, the coles $4 springwater container worked. it's HDPE and can hold 10L airtight quite comfortably. two handles so it's fairly easy to hold. i carried it around a bit and the plastic, while thinner than other cubes, held intact with no leakages or breaks and tears. aka, use caution and gloves/boots. it does lose its shape though with 10L of boiling water and the lack of escaping steam but all in all, I'm happy with the result from the boiling water test. i'll use it for my next 10L batch and report back. pretty cool. a no-chill cube for $4.

this is a pic of the $4 one from coles. the top has curled in slightly but it's done a top job and the lid has a tap so that when i pour into fermenter it'll splash and aerate the wort!

baxter ale no chill.JPG

pressure_tested said:
This thing fits in my wine fridge perfectly but it has a small lid opening and only holds 10L but I can't tell if it's HDPE or not... How do I work that out?
Look on the jerry for the recycling number stamp.

HDPE should have a number 2 inside the stamp i believe

Latest posts

Back